The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets | February 21, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP NHLN

Rate this topic

-SN-

Maybe I am wrong.......

But, here is where I see us today...........

Our Core is Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes, Podkolzin, Lind, Demko, Juolevi and Hoglander....................Maybe Rathbone?????? Maybe Lind??????

I honestly think Miller will fly as soon as a UFA, and I see Horvat aging out before we have all the pieces

So, it comes down to what Benning does next

Does he stand pat and develop the core, or does he go all in and try to add to create a veteran core now?

I think he was starting to do that, when he added Toffoli, but he was in-between, and with the cap and expansion, got caught

I also think he made some errors, that just caught up to him, and there was nothing he could do about it...aka Eriksson, and Baertschi

Not to mention the Luongo penalty, and Ferland's injury, who he never should have signed................ so I think his plan got derailed

But Imagine, if we had Ferland, Tanev Markstrom, and Toffoli..........the group surely would have been contending

But....now is now, and we are not ready to do the heavy lifting

So what does Benning do?

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

But Imagine, if we had Ferland, Tanev Markstrom, and Toffoli..........the group surely would have been contending

But....now is now, and we are not ready to do the heavy lifting

So what does Benning do?

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Toffoli

Ferland Sutter Hoglander

Motte Beagle Roussel

Hughes Tanev

Edler Myers

Markstrom

That was the dream of what could have been. If not for a couple bad contracts, the cap going flat, and Ferland still having a few good years we would have had a window to contend right now.

Thankfully our core is young enough that that window will be open for awhile. Just have to continue to draft well, open up cap space, and hopefully get our core locked into good deals long term.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Toffoli

Ferland Sutter Hoglander

Motte Beagle Roussel

Hughes Tanev

Edler Myers

Markstrom

That was the dream of what could have been. If not for a couple bad contracts, the cap going flat, and Ferland still having a few good years we would have had a window to contend right now.

Thankfully our core is young enough that that window will be open for awhile. Just have to continue to draft well, open up cap space, and hopefully get our core locked into good deals long term.

Exactly this!

The unfortunate truth is, we are are into another rebuild, like it or not!

So Benning has to do exactly as you suggest, and not sell picks, but rather gather picks instead.

Here one last thing, that I forgot to add in our next core...............I believe that Mcewen should be in it as a 4th liner, and that people should get off of Jake and accept him as a 4th liner...........I am of the opinion Gaudette does not fit our rebuild, I hope he proves me wrong!

The other thing is Green needs to start rolling 4 lines, as I think he will burn out his top 2 lines and Hughes if he does not!

Prorate McEwen and Jakes hits last night to Millers minutes and they both out hit Miller, which my only point is, if you are going to utilize Mac and Jake, you have to give them the time.

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If not for a couple bad contracts, the cap going flat, and Ferland still having a few good years we would have had a window to contend right now.

Being connected, I thought you would know better Jimmy!

Goodfellas :

You had a fire?  **** you pay me.  Your place got hit by lightning?  **** you pay me.

:lol:

• Haha 2

At first I thought the forum was being a little to hard on Holtby because I thought he was guarding against Dubois passing to the winger on his right BUT after watching the replay closer there was no Winnipeg player over there to pass to so I agree with those who say the goal is all on Holtby, no reason not to guard the post, Boeser had Dubois pretty much blocked to the inside... no reason for him to leave that much space on the short side. BAD GOAL!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Moe Knows said:

At first I thought the forum was being a little to hard on Holtby because I thought he was guarding against Dubois passing to the winger on his right BUT after watching the replay closer there was no Winnipeg player over there to pass to so I agree with those who say the goal is all on Holtby, no reason not to guard the post, Boeser had Dubois pretty much blocked to the inside... no reason for him to leave that much space on the short side. BAD GOAL!

And Holtby pretty much said as much.

1 minute ago, Moe Knows said:

Yea I can’t believe some people were pinning it on Hughes or Boeser for not defending a power forward.

If Holtby plays that the way he should have there would have been no way for Dubois to get that puck in and it likely would have been a chance back the other way.

Holtby has been much bette but he’s still got a ways to go in rebuilding his game.

9 hours ago, FaninMex said:

Really?

What games have you been watching? The 4th line with Beagle, JV and MAC had a really good game that applied some good pressure. 

I would have to say that the Lotto line is costing us games and the fact that they are being overplayed with Hughes. Their passes are suspect and over complicated. I saw many passes on the PP1 that should have been intercepted. JT Miller has been the biggest culprit. 

Did they score any goals? Any Points to help us win?   How about the last 20 games?   Still convinced they're "SWELL GUYS" ?

12 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well, here is my 2 cents worth

- Virtanen did not loose us the game.............he was not on for a goal, either way

- Gaudette did not loose us the game

- McEwen did not loose us  the game

- Beagle did not loose us the game

- Roussel did not loose us the game

- Sutter did not loose us the game

- Pearson did not loose us the game

- Hoglander did not loose us the game

- Horvat did not loose us the game

- Benn did not loose us the game

- Hughes did not loose us the game

- Juolevi did not loose us the game

- Myers did not loose us the game

That leaves Boeser, Pettersson, Miller, Edler, Schmidt and Holtby, who collectively got beat by their checks

That is up to Green to figure out............he is the coach, it is his job to figure it out

IMO, this year our goaltending, if average, would have given us 2 more wins, which makes us  .500 winning percentage (10 - 10 -2 )

If we get Markstrom type saves, we take 3 more wins............. .550 winning percentage (11 -9 - 2 )

That is our Achilles heel this year......... that and coaching decisions

What scares me the most is who the Canucks are using as our PK personel.....................Beagle, Roussel, Sutter and Miller

No young guys apprenticing................so in 2 years, who do we have to kill penalties?

Good post and exactly the same idea I have had for awhile. Green's "FAVORTISM" is driving me crazy and the same thing Willy D did during his tenure as well. Anyone remember Megna and Chaput? All day, all night? That was entertaining hockey to watch. ::D

We are up 2-0 and you play the heck out of our young core who have a tendency to give up too many offensive chances for the opposition? What kind of strategy is that to win a hockey game. Did the 4th line play 1 shift in the 3rd? 

20-22 minutes for the Lotto line and 6-8 minutes for the 4th? Wow, I thought we were up in the scoring department and the kind of minutes I would likely  see if we were down the whole game. 

Playing the #1 PP for the full 2 minutes? Not trying any of our young core out on the PK, like never? 

I find it surprising that Jake is the only one on the team who plays like he doesn't give a D@m anymore. Mac will be next.

The 4th line was basically sat for most of the game and for what? Its like they were being punished for something. He does have untouchables on the team though and if they make a mistake, its overlooked.

Just getting tired and frustrated on how this team is being run, maybe its time to quit watching this "trainwreck" for awhile. Its getting to the point where its not even entertaining anymore. The game started out great last night and Green managed to ruin the rest of it. Sad.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Did they score any goals? Any Points to help us win?   How about the last 20 games?   Still convinced they're "SWELL GUYS" ?

Well, at least I know you have no idea about sports. 

In a team sport you have ROLE players. Some are there to score goals ala the Lotto line and to some extent the second line. The third line is generally a checking line. Their job is to stop the other teams top line. Finally the fourth line is to try to generate some energy and occasionally score a goal here and there. Our 4th line while generating O and energy is not getting played enough to score goals. That is on Green.

So, the goal scoring top line, the ones whose job it is to score are not scoring and they are being scored against because of sloppy play and bad passes.

Are the 4th line grinders that are playing mostly in the O zone and taking it to the team swell guys? Yes, indeed they are because they are doing what they are paid to do.

Learn the sport or go back to the cellar!

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t see it as another rebuild, it’s a continuation of building towards being a contender.

Rarely does a team progress in a straight line when building.

it would only be another rebuild if we decided to blow up the core which we obviously aren’t doing.

Benning just needs to keep doing his thing in the draft and be smarter about the contracts he hands out. There will be other Toffolis and Tanevs available in the future. And if Demko keeps trending like Markstrom did we might be right back into a good spot in a few years.

I agree with your wording

I guess I seen it as Benning using last year as a focal point (a couple years ago)

But now, I think the "core" has changed, because there is no Marky, Tanev, Toffoli, Ferland etc......

So, really the young guys are now the focal point, where as 2 years ago, it was more a collage old and young

Now I see it more "Young" before we are done...

Just wording........but it is a continuation as you pointed out

Edited by janisahockeynut

2 hours ago, apollo said:

I genuinely thought the team was buzzing all night... a few inches here or there the canucks could have been up 5-1 ... hockey is a game of inches when its being played at such high level with both teams competing hard a bounce here or there changes everything... jets 2nd and 3rd goals were against the tide too

I know we blew a lead and only got 1 point, but that was one of the most entertaining games i've seen all year. Boys battled hard and pulled out a gutsy point... every night since the 2nd leafs game they've given it %100 ... I think we'll rally and get into the playoffs as long as they keep up this effort

The future has never been this bright for this franchise. Night after night we see a 20-25 year olds absolutely put this team on their backs and carry us to W's . Brocky and Petey and Quinn all had me on the edge of my seat last night and yea I thought it's incredible hockey

When have we ever had this in the past 50 years? Listen the Sedins are gods (I pray to them), the WCE at their prime are arguably top 5 line all time... but they never did this as 21 22 23 years old... this group that Jim has put together now is on another level. Feel blessed.

It's never good getting frustrated. I know what it's like - i've punched a wall over a Canucks / Caps regular season game before... old me would probably do it over the 2nd leafs game this year... it was bad. But instead i went out for a walk , was raining so just dressed appropriately. Felt way better than wasting time typing out negative thoughts about the team.

Apollo keep the dream alive!   Sure a lot of folks on this site are venting - and a lot of folks also see what your getting at too.   One thing that we all have in common as fans is we want a team that will win us a Stanley Cup.   This core looks to have the right stuff - just needs a few more solid players added.   I'm glad we don't have a top heavy team.   And that we keep adding rookies with promise.   Hogs and OJ - have to see the good on it too.   Glad to see your back posting some positivity into this site.   Your not alone. 

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I agree with you wording

I guess I seen it as Benning using last year as a focal point (a couple years ago)

But now, I think the "core" has changed, because there is no Marky, Tanev, Toffoli, Ferland etc......

So, really the young guys are now the focal point, where as 2 years ago, it was more a collage old and young

Was Toffoli part of the core, though? We never really saw Boeser and Toffoli healthy together.  The Canucks were one of the highest scoring teams in the Western Conference, without Toffoli.

Ferland hasn't really established himself on the team ,ever, due to health.

8 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Was Toffoli part of the core, though? We never really saw Boeser and Toffoli healthy together.  The Canucks were one of the highest scoring teams in the Western Conference, without Toffoli.

Ferland hasn't really established himself on the team ,ever, due to health.

People like to dream of what could have been. They never think of the other stuff like the contracts that they wanted and got in Calgary which we all mock.

They want Toffoli because he knows our plays and looked great against us but has he played as great against any other team?

Ferland has been broken this whole time but they want the Ferland of one year of playoffs against us. A fairy tale from the past.

3 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I agree with you wording

The way i see it - the elder core members become the old - the younger guys become the blue chip star types in their prime, and what's coming into the pipe pushes to also become a core player.   A few add ons - and we have our widest window.    Thats team that's playing since TO - is not the same team that started the season.   Regardless of the result we've been better then whom we've played.    Losing Markstrom was a requirement - and learning curve for this team.   Last year we'd be on a winning streak right now playing the way we have no doubt.   No fault to Holtby (one great game) or Demko (two and one wasted).   Team needs to learn how to win by not relying on exceptional goaltending in the mix if we are going anywhere.   If we played Vegas as well as we have the past 7 games who knows where we would have gone last year right?     

None of us are coaching the team - as fans, at least how i see it, we should support our team through thick and thin - doesn't make you a homer.    It's easy to say the bar should be really really high after all these years and not accept anything but brilliance.   It's also not realistic.   Not calling you out one bit - like reading your stuff so keep it up.    Just saying maybe we should all take a pill and relax or whatever - and just see how this plays out before passing judgement.   BB... well how many trade threads were made about him last year - plus the "church of JV" ...  love talking to you folks but maybe we should all just relax and see how it plays out?  Nothing that we say on here will make a lick of difference anyways. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

7 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

This “coaching staff” simply can not manage a hockey game while it’s happening 

we had them on the ropes 2-0 and we needed to roll 4 lines and grind them down. Basic hockey 

But instead, our geniuses decide to shorten the bench which in stops the hitting and tires out top end. We turn soft and it flips the game

trying to “defend” a 2-0 in the second period is ridiculous and it tells your team the coaches have zero trust in line 4

but what do I know? Green and his staff are so nice and amazing. Clearly the future is bright with the team in their hands 

Glad I am not the only one that sees it. What happened to wearing down their top players and not give them any momentum to mount a come back? Nope, he plays them every second shift and plays them a full 2 minutes on the PP. Hughes shouldn't even need a seat on the bench he should just stand there waiting for his next shift. I am sorry is he really "Chris Pronger" in disguise?

This guy has about as much "technique and tactic" as Willy D. Somebody please stop the bleeding.

• Cheers 3