Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets | February 21, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP NHLN

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, 4petesake said:

The man has given us two years of excitement bringing us to our feet countless times. I have nothing but respect for him. Granted he’s not playing like we have come to expect but he has earned the right to play his way out of this funk. At least from me he has.

And after starting the season with just 1 assist in 6 games, He does have 13 points in the last 15 games. That is the Petey we are used to seeing.

  • Hydration 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Is anyone else worried about the tone of the team? I just don't hear a lot in their comments to the media about the need to win a lot of games to get back into the playoff race. It just seems like everyone is happy they are playing better. I just would like an expectation to win and the need to win and come out hard. It feels like a development year again which is not good because it is not.

They sound very Sedin-like in their approach.   Would rather see a Jonathan toewes responsE.   The difference is between a mindset that seems to accept losing and one that refuses to accept it. 

Edited by DIBdaQUIB
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I think the Canucks should really consider adding a goon to this team, this team already takes enough penalties so that part wouldn't hurt them, he can play in the bottom 6 they're not relied on to score points to carry this team and if he's not that good defensively he can just be benched in the 3rd, perfect fit and gives the young guys the protection they need especially if this franchise is going to rely on smaller players for skill going forward. 

I think any team should consider that at this point - and start the arms race all over again.   That said they'd have to look at some older AHLers at this point - it's almost bred completely out of hockey.   Let's be honest - the product in the NHL is like Euro leagues plus plus at this point - the plus being talent level. 

 

The league has reverted back to pre-expansion/enforcer days (there is a difference between a goon - but i'd also take a goon anyways), but it doesn't have any enforcers left either.    All gone.   A decade ....  NOBODY is fighting their way into the league like they used to be as a fringe player - and nobody understands (yet!)  that during the original six era you were expected to clean up your own sh!t and not rely on enforcers to do it for you.

   

In other words - it's gone.   For better or for worse - those days are over.   Lucic was a big baby fighting the few enforcers he actually fought early on - and now not many want a piece of him.   Roberts made mince meat out of Eager who hated Bieksa - at 41, and he was just a regular power forward type in his day - one that JV won't ever come close to matching.   It's sad.   Chuck Norris's sneeze would blow over most players these days.    

 

The frustrating thing for me is they are more then capable - but just won't try anymore.    Fighting is no longer part of hockey like it used to be - even pre-expansion.   Nobody got the memo. 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't read much into the "talk"....I pay little attention to the interviews (except post games when Marky's trolling) - mostly just rhetoric.  They're not going to reveal too much.  Poker faces.

 

Talk is cheap.   Do the talking on ice.

 

Quote

Is anyone else worried about the tone of the team? I just don't hear a lot in their comments to the media about the need to win a lot of games to get back into the playoff race. It just seems like everyone is happy they are playing better. I just would like an expectation to win and the need to win and come out hard. It feels like a development year again which is not good because it is not.

There's something to staying in the present and not looking too far down the road (playoffs)...it gets daunting to do that.  One game at a time is the focus and I'm ok with them doing it that way.

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

And after starting the season with just 1 assist in 6 games, He does have 13 points in the last 15 games. That is the Petey we are used to seeing.

Warming up for sure. Would like to see him shoot first, more.

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, khay said:

??? Feeding words into my mouth or you didn't read what I said ???

 

I believe in him. I believe he can be an MVP in this league. I don't know if he does.

 

I hope he does believe in himself too but he is not playing like he believes that he can be an MVP in this league.  Earlier in the season, he was deferring to QH and Miller far too often. It's been much better the last 5 games though and that's encouraging.

 

Honestly, I thought he will be an MVP caliber player starting this season especially after that monster playoffs. You are not the only homer of the team and its players, we are all.

 

Petey's potential to be a 1st line player was proven in his first ever NHL game (against the Flames of all opponents). The potential that I'm alluding to is the potential to be the top 5 player in the league whereas the potential you are alluding to is something lower perhaps, like NHL regular?

 

He still needs to prove that he can be an MVP caliber player. He has the potential, he needs to believe in himself and play like he believes. 

 

Look no further than the way QH is playing. Now, that's a confident guy who believes that he should've won the Calder last season and plays like the Norris caliber player who wants to lead the league in scoring. Obviously, he is sometimes overzealous but I love the fact that QH is playing with so much confidence and swagger to attack and challenge the opposition.

 

 

 

Petey will be just fine. What impresses me more is Boeser’s hot start. I remember so many posters worried about his game or wanting to trade him last year. I even started a ‘stop making Boeser trade proposals’ thread. He seems to be back to what us fans expect and appreciate.

  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CaptKirk888 said:

Petey will be just fine. What impresses me more is Boeser’s hot start. I remember so many posters worried about his game or wanting to trade him last year. I even started a ‘stop making Boeser trade proposals’ thread. He seems to be back to what us fans expect and appreciate.

Yeah I think Boeser helped us realize that all of our young players are gonna go through struggling years early on. All for various reasons.

 

OJ/Hog are probably gonna experience this at some point.

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I think any team should consider that at this point - and start the arms race all over again.   That said they'd have to look at some older AHLers at this point - it's almost bred completely out of hockey.   Let's be honest - the product in the NHL is like Euro leagues plus plus at this point - the plus being talent level. 

 

The league has reverted back to pre-expansion/enforcer days (there is a difference between a goon - but i'd also take a goon anyways), but it doesn't have any enforcers left either.    All gone.   A decade ....  NOBODY is fighting their way into the league like they used to be as a fringe player - and nobody understands (yet!)  that during the original six era you were expected to clean up your own sh!t and not rely on enforcers to do it for you.

   

In other words - it's gone.   For better or for worse - those days are over.   Lucic was a big baby fighting the few enforcers he actually fought early on - and now not many want a piece of him.   Roberts made mince meat out of Eager who hated Bieksa - at 41, and he was just a regular power forward type in his day - one that JV won't ever come close to matching.   It's sad.   Chuck Norris's sneeze would blow over most players these days.    

 

The frustrating thing for me is they are more then capable - but just won't try anymore.    Fighting is no longer part of hockey like it used to be - even pre-expansion.   Nobody got the memo. 

This is exactly why you bring in a real goon, it changes everything again :frantic:

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I don't read much into the "talk"....I pay little attention to the interviews (except post games when Marky's trolling) - mostly just rhetoric.  They're not going to reveal too much.  Poker faces.

 

Talk is cheap.   Do the talking on ice.

 

There's something to staying in the present and not looking too far down the road (playoffs)...it gets daunting to do that.  One game at a time is the focus and I'm ok with them doing it that way.

I get the strategy of platitudes but too often this team doesn't talk a good game, nor do they play one.  Again I refer to Toewes in 2011 where his calling out his team and refusing to accept losing turned a series around and almost ended our run.  Passive, cerebral comments sound nice but passion and emotion do more to drive performance.  After all.the mental, lazy mistakes this team has been making and how many games they have last, they should be angry and motivated to paynthe price to win at any cost.  Sorry, but I don't hear it in their words and I don't see it on the ice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Petey will be just fine. What impresses me more is Boeser’s hot start. I remember so many posters worried about his game or wanting to trade him last year. I even started a ‘stop making Boeser trade proposals’ thread. He seems to be back to what us fans expect and appreciate.

I think most of the trade Brock posts were more about who has enough value to bring us a top 2 defenseman and Brock was the one

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I get the strategy of platitudes but too often this team doesn't talk a good game, nor do they play one.  Again I refer to Toewes in 2011 where his calling out his team and refusing to accept losing turned a series around and almost ended our run.  Passive, cerebral comments sound nice but passion and emotion do more to drive performance.  After all.the mental, lazy mistakes this team has been making and how many games they have last, they should be angry and motivated to paynthe price to win at any cost.  Sorry, but I don't hear it in their words and I don't see it on the ice.

Thing is - we don't have any clue what's going on in the locker room.   It's all hearsay and guessing.   Who cares what's said infront of a camera.  Captain serious can enjoy his mega contract - and all the help it's done to his hockey club, same with Kane.   All acting surprised that a rebuild is required - of course it is - their core demanded it right?   

Edited by IBatch
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sbriggs said:

I think most of the trade Brock posts were more about who has enough value to bring us a top 2 defenseman and Brock was the one

hopefully we draft a decent sized defenseman this year

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

I think most of the trade Brock posts were more about who has enough value to bring us a top 2 defenseman and Brock was the one

Plus plus according to the Dumba threads.   A little pre-mature now.  Glad a few stuck up for him.   Shame to the rest of the pack - and maybe this can be a reminder next year once QHs and EP also get their contracts. 

 

Edit:  the plus plus was what else we'd give up for him ... a first rounder and some 

Edited by IBatch
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

I think most of the trade Brock posts were more about who has enough value to bring us a top 2 defenseman and Brock was the one

Still a stupid idea IMO

  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets | February 21, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP NHLN
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...