The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets | February 21, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP NHLN

Rate this topic

9 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Feb. 15/21 - same refs

12 penalties assessed

(including 2 crosschecks....one to Myers  - no pictures)

Feb. 8 -  6 penalties, including THIS crosschecking penalty (called by the same ref as last night).  Eleven days apart.

image.png

So this ref calls this ^ but not these?"

https://imgur.com/pVRts3L

Same ref/s.   Hoglander looks at him and shrugs as he gets up (he was standing facing this play and saw it unfold)  Why?  Please explain to me.

(Disclaimer: I exercise my God given right as a woman to NOT be over it despite claiming to be so.  "I'm fine/nothing's the matter").

But everything you said was true.....everything!  ::D

• Vintage 2
1 hour ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Hmm,  sorry I don't see how referring to homer bias is derogatory or a "troll" at all. I have homer bias, Shorthouse and Garrett have homer bias. Pretty much every fan of every team has homer bias. Its pro sports. People want their team to win.  Its human nature. It probably stems from our tribal origins.  My main point was that for every missed call against the Canucks there will probably be a missed call for them somewhere else down the road. You don't see it that way and that's cool, agree to disagree. I just get tired of the reffing conspiracy 'crap' and blaming the refs every time we lose. 

Problem is - as a fan it's not easy to watch it happen with the frequency our club has had to deal with it - and as far as spectrums go, we are at or near the end of teams boned over the years.   I have zero issue with the 2011 run, refs won't call everything, AV had the troops playing a disciplined game given it was virtually impossible to score on Thomas 5 x 5.  Tactically was as smart move - didn't work out - even though we had 2-1 PPs, how many shorties did they score again?   However it still stung - but ONLY because no cup in the end, otherwise it would never get brought up right?

For me at least - it goes back to Otto kicking it in.   What a terrible way to lose a series.   And the a few missed calls in 94.. Messier involved in 2 of them.   

Edit:  Posted accidentally  - wasn't done .. 

Point is these things tend to pile up.  The Hockey News made an entire issue a few years back regarding what fans have suffered the most - and made a detailed spread sheet over it.   Recent cup winners made it out fine ... was no surprise to see Vancouver on top.. riots, Bertuzzi, McSorely, Bourdon, Rypien, Maki, the list of events including OTTO and other things haven't made it easy on us.   Your absolutely correct - it does tend to even out, and personally i'm not a big fan of 3/4 of the things they do call  these days - so a blantant missed call against us stands out.    That said it sure isn't easy either so understand anyone lamenting about it, doesn't matter if they just started watching a year ago, or have watched from the start it sticks in the gray matter. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Hydration 1

Gaudette is honestly killing me, this man has gotten so many opportunities to score, but he just cant seem to bury any of it.

I don't think its even him doing anything wrong. It seems as if he's either terrible or he's just in such a rough patch right now, but man is it rough. I have hopes that Gaudette can emerge to be an effective third line centre who can pitch in more on offense. But i also feel like if we trade him or not resign him I wouldn't be the most upset about it. 

• Hydration 1
14 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Feb. 15/21 - same refs

12 penalties assessed

(including 2 crosschecks....one to Myers  - no pictures)

Feb. 8 -  6 penalties, including THIS crosschecking penalty (called by the same ref as last night).  Eleven days apart.

image.png

So this ref calls this a crosscheck ^ but not these?"

https://imgur.com/pVRts3L

Same ref/s.   Hoglander looks at the ref (who is right there) and shrugs as he gets up.

Why does the same ref do things so glaringly different on a game by game basis?  Please explain to me.

One is a matter of clearing the crease and more leniency is often applied then....the other is a retaliation deal and involves 1, 2, 3 strikes.  Should be out.

So how are we to make sense of this.  I'm getting excuses but nothing to support the inconsistency on a night by night basis.  Involving the same ref(s).

(Disclaimer: I exercise my God given right as a woman to NOT be over it despite claiming to be so.  "I'm fine/nothing's the matter").

Homers unite:

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/iwtg-shoddy-officiating-mars-a-hard-fought-game-between-the-canucks-and-jets-3443868

Great perspective on these refs and I assumed based on the way these refs are calling the games they are also very confused as well - too many rules that just complicates things and more to come from the rules maker (who are very reactive rather than pro active in there approach to MANAGING games).

Imo, they should just mostly let the players play and police themselves -allow for some accountability on the ice among the players instead of over regulating the game with a bunch of rules that are in the gray

1 minute ago, Chicken. said:

Suttsy knows what being a team first player is all about. A real foundational type guy :metal:

Gaudette flew in there too.  I have hope for these guys after this...they may not be fighters, but they didn't just skate away.  It's something "foundational" to build from.

Also the ref:  "haaaay, guyz, please stop".  Useless.

image.png

Frankenfort jumped on Hogs LONG after this should have been stopped.  A big fail to the refs...whatever excuses people offer for them.

• Hydration 2
  • Vintage 1
16 minutes ago, Boest-er said:

Gaudette is honestly killing me, this man has gotten so many opportunities to score, but he just cant seem to bury any of it.

I don't think its even him doing anything wrong. It seems as if he's either terrible or he's just in such a rough patch right now, but man is it rough. I have hopes that Gaudette can emerge to be an effective third line centre who can pitch in more on offense. But i also feel like if we trade him or not resign him I wouldn't be the most upset about it. 

I like his energy, and I like the fact that he's getting/creating a lot of scoring chances. If he can translate that into goals, for himself or the team... great. But he hasn't. And it has to happen sooner than later. He's been given more than enough opportunities to produce. Not giving up on him, but he's been disappointing, to say the least. A lot of buzzing around and no results.

• Like 1

We call this the Bertuzzi around here.  Just some are Moore prone to injury than others.  That's the  only difference....the outcome.  Both done in rage and retaliation.  Both from behind.  Both delivered by big guys (this one on a much smaller one).  Both ending in a dogpile.  Was Bert's a sucker punch?  Yep, it was.  Was this a little different?  Sure.  But still a guy stalking another in a predatory way...not being satisfied with several crosschecks and going back at him to "finish" his rage.  On a much smaller player who was in a vulnerable position. 

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

image.pngimage.png

I should be side by sides up.

One guy was crucified...raked over the coals and made an example of. Because the guy stayed down and the pile on top injured him (reportedly, badly).

One guy got...a holding penalty.  Because the rookie he was attacking luckily wasn't injured.

We've learned nothing.  Yes I am comparing....big guy takes on much smaller guy like this and it's a recipe for disaster.   Despite the outcome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets | February 21, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP NHLN