The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets | February 21, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP NHLN

Rate this topic

-SN-

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Anyone still think Petey is getting 11-12 mil?

I don’t see it. Realistically he should be on a 8.5-9.5 million dollar deal for 4 or 5 years.

Still gets him paid handsomely and he’ll get another big contract at 26/27.

Im not seeing a player that can take over games consistently to justify close to McDavid money.

Tough to say.  I do not we’ll be seeing the likes of Eriksson’s type deals from any GM (lower tier players).  The top tier guys like EP will tend to get paid well regardless of economic conditions.  Course I try not try underestimate the stupidity of NHL GMs.  That’s why we have a salary cap.  They can’t help themselves.  This isn’t a shot at Benning (I’m referring to *ALL* NHL GMs in general)

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I don’t think he was ever getting that much. Regardless of his slow start this year. The only team paying that kind of money was TO. Dumb

Now with the flat cap. I suspect Petey and Hughes will be somewhere 8 million range. Hopefully long term 

I think Aho’s recent deal will be a good comparable.

If we could get him on a 5 year 8.5 per I think most fans would be happy.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t see it. Realistically he should be on a 8.5-9.5 million dollar deal for 4 or 5 years.

Im not seeing a player that can take over games consistently to justify close to McDavid money.

Maybe even less with the 'vidcap changes, and new CBA.

Commentators always make much of the fact that the 'Nucks are a good face-off team, but that doesn't reflect in our league position. In fact when you look at the top ten face-off teams in the league it includes Buffalo (2), Detroit (4), Canucks (=6) and Anaheim (=6) yet none of these teams are doing well. Our problem seems to be that we give the puck away too easily, we are not a puck possession team. Sometimes it's like players can't get rid of it quick enough.

I would like us to move toward being more of a team that can keep the puck for long period of time, particularly in the OZone, right now we are hitting the other team on the rush, losing possession and scrambling back to D. The Jets didn't do anything special last night, they just capitalized on our mistakes. If we keep it simple and I feel we will have more success, all the cute little passes are potential sources of giveaways and that is what has been coming back to bite us. We took a step back last night, tomorrow I want to see the team that stuffed the Lames 5-1.

Is Forbort playing tomorrow? I wonder if Maurice will sit him for the game, just to cool things down. Every game is so important, and I was baffled watching Edler fumble that puck and then make no effort to retrieve it, until he saw Sheifele taking off on the breakaway. Edler's too slow. 

32 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Not even 8.5-9.5. I think 7 for 3-4 years.

8.5-9.5 only if it's an 8 year deal.

Simply put, he is not the best player on this team right now. Until he plays and acts like one, he isn't getting anything north of 7.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Taphouse Canuck said:

Commentators always make much of the fact that the 'Nucks are a good face-off team, but that doesn't reflect in our league position. In fact when you look at the top ten face-off teams in the league it includes Buffalo (2), Detroit (4), Canucks (=6) and Anaheim (=6) yet none of these teams are doing well. Our problem seems to be that we give the puck away too easily, we are not a puck possession team. Sometimes it's like players can't get rid of it quick enough.

I would like us to move toward being more of a team that can keep the puck for long period of time, particularly in the OZone, right now we are hitting the other team on the rush, losing possession and scrambling back to D. The Jets didn't do anything special last night, they just capitalized on our mistakes. If we keep it simple and I feel we will have more success, all the cute little passes are potential sources of giveaways and that is what has been coming back to bite us. We took a step back last night, tomorrow I want to see the team that stuffed the Lames 5-1.

It makes no sense to me that we focus on faceoff wins, when our defensive system is o quite literally TO GIVE THE OTHER TEAM THE PUCK when they don't have a safe play.

It boggles the mind to see statistics worm their way out onto the ice as they pretend to be hockey. It's disgusting in fact.

2 minutes ago, Dirtman said:

I feel like Virtanen had a few more good hits. Hopefully last night woke up him up a bit, but won't get my hopes up.

Super psyched for Big Mac. 

Don't expect Zack to get more than 17 more games this season, for if he does, he'll be snapped up by Seattle.

He's a power forward with hands, a rare commodity these days, and so he'll be benched rather than officially protected.

I'd prefer he's beating up the Kraken, and not the other way around come this time next year.

Edited by xereau
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Is Forbort playing tomorrow? I wonder if Maurice will sit him for the game, just to cool things down. Every game is so important, and I was baffled watching Edler fumble that puck and then make no effort to retrieve it, until he saw Sheifele taking off on the breakaway. Edler's too slow. 

I wouldn’t sit him, I have him stirring the pot.