The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets | February 21, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP NHLN

Rate this topic

-SN-

3 minutes ago, NHTyrany said:

Tank time baby, play all the kids. Sell the dead wood if you can. Get a great big D in the draft and bounce back next year with more muscle and a  vengeance.

That’s way too complicated when everything can be solved by firing Green.

18 minutes ago, khay said:

Not even 8.5-9.5. I think 7 for 3-4 years.

8.5-9.5 only if it's an 8 year deal.

Simply put, he is not the best player on this team right now. Until he plays and acts like one, he isn't getting anything north of 7.

He doesn't grumble, complain, whine....he does what he can to improve his game.  He doesn't act like he's elite and he's harder on himself than anyone.  I have no issues with his behaviour or attitude and I don't think anyone should.  He's something special.

He's adjusting (and will)....but the people talking "right now" have to be aware that that doesn't mean "forever".  Give him a fair deal and be patient as he gets back to where we all know he can be.  He's hit a lot of posts...the most in the league.  Those go in and we're not talking this way.

Assess based on his overall body of work, not just his recent slump.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

He doesn't grumble, complain, whine....he does what he can to improve his game.  He doesn't act like he's elite and he's harder on himself than anyone.  I have no issues with his behaviour or attitude and I don't think anyone should.  He's something special.

He's adjusting (and will)....but the people talking "right now" have to be aware that that doesn't mean "forever".  Give him a fair deal and be patient as he gets back to where we all know he can be.  He's hit a lot of posts...the most in the league.  Those go in and we're not talking this way.

Assess based on his overall body of work, not just his recent slump.

He is special, no one questions that. But I do have a problem with his attitude.

In EP, we have a player that has the potential to dominate the league, MVP candidate and playoff beast. 

But, until he believes in himself more and starts to play with more confidence and assertiveness, it's just that, potential. 

This season, he's somewhat less assertive and less confidence than he was in his first season and second season.

Maybe he's too humble? He needs to be more assertive and take on that responsibility like all great leaders do. The great players play with the mindset that they must score to help the team win. Sure, he's still young and maybe we don't want to put that much pressure on him just yet, but until he can handle that responsibility as the go-to guy, his contract will not be anything north of 9. 

7 x 3 is the contract that I would offer EP at this point in time.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, NHTyrany said:

Soft pushovers?

Have we watched the same 5 games?

They have cut down significantly on mistakes and turnovers. They are playing as a 5 man unit in all three zones, transitioning the puck out from the dzone, the middle of the ice, and the ozone. 

We need to string together a 4-5 game winning streak to get back in the race.

Although I'm encouraged by the team's play in the last 5 games but given how tough it is to go on a winning in the current divisional set up, I wonder if it's little too late.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Devron44 said:

A lot of people were complaining still in the PGT about the team not stepping up on this play. But practically everyone jumped him so I’m not sure what else they could have done. Hope Mac was liking his lips from the press box. Fight em and move on. That’s all you can do cause the refs ain’t doing it 

But they could have thrown a few punches, it looked like a male love fest to me.  Why didn't Jake start throwing haymakers. Too worried about their soft hands. Could have created a brawl that the incompetent ref. Would have Caused. But no, they all huggeg eachother like they are coached to do. Pathetically soft.

• Haha 1

If JV can drop the gloves and be the power forward everyone hopes he can be, I would try lineups like...

JV EP Boeser

Big Mack Bo Hoglander 

Pearson Miller Gaudette

Roussel Beagle Sutter

Kinda balance the lines a bit and adding some toughness on the top 2 lines.

Meh...but I'm not a coach...so what do I know. :P

11 minutes ago, khay said:

Have we watched the same 5 games?

They have cut down significantly on mistakes and turnovers. They are playing as a 5 man unit in all three zones, transitioning the puck out from the dzone, the middle of the ice, and the ozone. 

We need to string together a 4-5 game winning streak to get back in the race.

Although I'm encouraged by the team's play in the last 5 games but given how tough it is to go on a winning in the current divisional set up, I wonder if it's little too late.

Yes and was really happy with the energy and talent. But still no team identity and still soft as butter. Don target our young stars or we will hug you.

34 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

That’s way too complicated when everything can be solved by firing Green.

Not until the tank has crossed the finish line please.  This season is now a pre- season for the soft Nucks.

18 minutes ago, BPA said:

If JV can drop the gloves and be the power forward everyone hopes he can be, I would try lineups like...

JV EP Boeser

Big Mack Bo Hoglander 

Pearson Miller Gaudette

Roussel Beagle Sutter

Kinda balance the lines a bit and adding some toughness on the top 2 lines.

Meh...but I'm not a coach...so what do I know. :P

Sutter will be retired before that happens....

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Anyone still think Petey is getting 11-12 mil?

I don’t see it. Realistically he should be on a 8.5-9.5 million dollar deal for 4 or 5 years.

Still gets him paid handsomely and he’ll get another big contract at 26/27.

Im not seeing a player that can take over games consistently to justify close to McDavid money.

Hey DeNiro

Just a question for you because you brought it up (not picking on you)

Can you explain to me why Pettersson will get more than Barzal's 7 Million bridge deal?

I am just having a hard time understand why he should get more

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Hey DeNiro

Can you explain to me why Pettersson will get more than Barzal's 7 Million bridge deal?

After this season he absolutely should not. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Hey DeNiro

I think on a long term deal was the idea 

Anyone watching the leafs, canadians ca nwitness  the leagues game management first hand.  Even the leaf announcers are confused by the league's office dual decisions on a called back goal.  Bloody ridiculous.

I have a different take on Jakes reaction to Forbort

First off, Jake went right into that pile and grabbed a guy (he actually jump up above the pile to grab the guy)

Then, somewhere during the scrum, Jake grabbed Pionk, and pretty much manhandled him, pulling all the way over to the Canuck bench

Now, "IF" Horvat would have done that, on the first occasion with Forbort, the 2nd altercation may never have happened

Poor response by the Canuck captain and the referees, caused the 2nd occurrence........

IMO, Jake showed good judgement and supported his team-mate, maybe our captain should have!

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, DIBdaQUIB said:

Anyone watching the leafs, canadians ca nwitness  the leagues game management first hand.  Even the leaf announcers are confused by the league's office dual decisions on a called back goal.  Bloody ridiculous.

We've seen that before for/against the Canucks. The refs first review is to determine puck actually went in net. Possible before whistle. They call it good goal on the ice and then they challenge for goalie interference which wasn't part of the original review. 

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets | February 21, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP NHLN