The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Would You Do? Pt. 2

Rate this topic

MrCanuck94

What Would You Do? Pt. 2  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Would you move on from Edler next season or keep him with another contract?

Personally, I think this situation needs to be handled like Ohlund's situation. Team needed to move on to take the next step. It's time to move on and bring in a new RHD to complete the revamp of our defence.

Hughes Schmidt

Juolevi Myers

Rathbone ----

PP1 - Hughes

PP2 - Could be any of the other four tbh

PK1 - Juolevi Myers

PK2 - Schmidt ----

All depends on the contract. I'm a huge Edler fan and would love for him to retire a Canuck, but I do feel he's finally starting to slow down.

It also depends on if he picks up his game or not as the year goes on. As it stands, I don't see him earning much more than $3M or so, especially in the COVID-cap world. If he's willing to sign a team-friendly deal, I wouldn't mind re-signing him, but if he does push for some money (precedent shows he probably won't), then it might be better to move on and find a replacement. Also, Edler is a LHD.

I expect that Edler will be willing to sign a cheap deal and I'm hoping that we can make that work as he probably slides into a 2nd-pairing and maybe 3rd pairing role during his last few years.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

33 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Would you move on from Edler next season or keep him with another contract?

I would keep him if Canucks sign him the Perry, Spezza, and Simmonds contract. 

One year league minimum. I think those kinds of deals could prove useful as what we've seen from those aforementioned contracts because of the veteran presence. 

Depends on the contract and who else we can get for similar money. From what we've seen, Hamonic was brilliant for around the 1M mark. If Edler wants to take a 1-2 year, 1-2M deal and play as our 5-6th defenceman and just eat up PK minutes where he doesn't have to skate very much, perfect. We can play him at 15-17 minutes a night and really use his PK abilities (no wonder with Beagle/Sutter/Motte/Edler, our PK is still hovering around the top-10 mark despite losing Tanev and Marky and having 2 leaky goalies).

If we let him walk, we better as hell replace him with someone solid. All the other guys have been shaky, Hughes and Schmidt especially. Myers has IMO been our best defenceman this season so will certainly replace Eddy's minutes, but we need some more quality in our top-4. There's a lot of good names out there (Larsson is a tantalizing one) but it all depends on money and I don't see JB making any >4M deals any time soon, especially with the flat cap.

I'd be happy to re-sign Edler and Hamonic to matching 1.5-2M, 1-2 year deals. The other option is spending that money all on say Larsson.

Hughes - Larsson

Myers - Chatfield

Juolevi - Schmidt

Rathbone...

Not too much depth there which could be nervy, compared to:

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Schmidt

Juolevi - Hamonic

Chatfield

All of it's going to come down to how much we can swindle Petey, Demko and Hughes this off-season to be honest and luckily they've all played pretty badly so far.

All good points above.   Edler/Kronwall are decent comps, but i'd definitely wouldn't want to see the team saddled with a ridiculous contract like that.   Petry just got paid - but he's in his prime like Edler was a few years ago.   I think he's still got it, minus some foot speed.   Also think we still need him, and the way he's been used now is exactly how it should proceed.   Pretty sure he'd get a one or two year deal somewhere else at 4-4.5....also pretty sure we need some of his cap hit for other players this off season.   Wouldn't be surprised to see a one year deal in the 4.5-5 range, but would be happier with a 3 x 3 deal, to keep him on the team until retirement. 

4 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I would keep him if Canucks sign him the Perry, Spezza, and Simmonds contract. 

One year league minimum. I think those kinds of deals could prove useful as what we've seen from those aforementioned contracts because of the veteran presence. 

He's not at the same point in his career as these guys yet - they have all regressed for quite some time.   Edler is a warrior like them and sure he'd like to keep playing for as long as he can - other teams would be happy to sign him for a lot more then that if he goes to market too.   He's more like Pavelski is then Perry, who got a 7 x 3 deal as far as for what he offers still at his age.   I'd be shocked if we managed to sign him for anything less then 3.5 ...

• Cheers 1

Edler's old, Edler's slowing down. I see these things a fair bit, but even if they're true that doesn't change the fact that Edler still plays a very valuable role on our defense. 

oldnews put it well, Eder still play heavy minutes for us at going on age 35. He's reliable, can play a variety of roles responsibly, adds some physicality to our back end, he wants to be here, and he's a terrific guy to have in the room for guys like Hughes and Juolevi. Re-signing him after the draft allows us to circumvent having to protect him too. 

He simply hasn't regressed like players of similar age (Spezza, Perry, ect) and performs better than several younger D around the league (younger doesn't necessarily mean young). Realistically, given that he's historically shown zero interest in leaving the Canucks or waiving his clause, we likely don't get an improvement on Edler for than less than he's prepared to sign with us for. 

Sign Edler to a cheaper deal for one or two years, he's fully aware he won't be making 6m. Sign year by year if that's better for both parties, but get him signed. I want to see Edler be the fourth Canuck to play 1000 games with this team. 

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Sign year by year if that's better for both parties,

Needs to be year by year, otherwise, at his age, the Nucks would be on the hook for all the years of his new deal.

1 year $4-5-5 mill. less would be great, $4.5-5 is fair for the best defensive d we have.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

He's not at the same point in his career as these guys yet - they have all regressed for quite some time.   Edler is a warrior like them and sure he'd like to keep playing for as long as he can - other teams would be happy to sign him for a lot more then that if he goes to market too.   He's more like Pavelski is then Perry, who got a 7 x 3 deal as far as for what he offers still at his age.   I'd be shocked if we managed to sign him for anything less then 3.5 ...

That's kind of true though I'd argue Spezza is putting up points quite well. But I guess if not the league min maybe something like a 1.5 million one year contract. Some might find this on the low side but, considering how much free agents got last off season, it's a pretty fair deal 

His positioning has been good, but he's also a big part of those terrible giveaways in our own zone, because he's losing the ability to keep up, so he ends up being a pylon when the other team sets up. His foot speed can't afford to lose another half step.

With that said, we don't have a replacement, could have been Tanev. Unless we strike gold somehow we Edler at a team friendly cap hit, keep him around to mentor next season...  but we need to find a top 2 replacement soon because Edler is aging out of this league quickly

I doubt he signs for less than 4,  especially if it's a one year deal. I don't think the team sees him as anything less than a 3-4 defenseman considering the minutes he's playing in the situations he's playing them in,  and those don't come cheap.  We'd pay over five at least on the open market for a player like him 

• Cheers 1

Edler is currently having one of the best statistical seasons of his career, and the Edler-Schmidt pairing has the best xGF% of any defensive pairing in the entire NHL with >100 minute 5v5TOI (a feat that’s even more remarkable given the Canucks’ poor overall team performance this season).

And this isn’t a blip. Edler has posted extremely solid numbers for several years, and arguably had played some of his best hockey since turning 30. He may be slowing down, as far as his mobility, but in terms of overall performance, he’s not declining at all yet. 

In some ways, he’s getting better with age.

Others have already said it, but IMO it’s a no-brainer to re-sign Edler. 

• Cheers 3

Probably depends on a number of things but he’s still an anchor back there and is vital to a average to below average D core. If you can get him in the 3-4 range which I think is possible (I gather he doesn’t want to leave Vancouver.) It also depends on how big of strides Juolevi takes this season, how they feel about Hamonic, and if there would be a UFA comparable that could be signed for cheaper which I doubt. 

Wouldn't mind bringing him back to shelter Juolevi a bit and take on some of the tough assignments (Olli could be ready by next year for that).  A developing Juolevi and another year with Hamonic would probably solidify the D core since Travis isn't a liability.

4 hours ago, Provost said:

If he wants to play on $2-3 million 1 year contracts then why not keep him.  He is still our 2nd or 3rd best D on any given night.

What I hope is that through expansion we find upgrades on D and make him a spare part to add extra stability and depth rather than a core piece.

What I worry about is how bad the D could look without him.  We have seen how bad an already porous defense got by removing our two best shot suppression guys in Tanev and Stecher.  Take away the next best guy we have at the defensive game and it could get downright ugly.

Largely agreed with this.  Hopefully there's some emerging or depth LHD who could take on those tough minutes and have more footspeed.

Hard to answer without knowing the terms.   Matters.

I feel he'd be one of those don't know what you've got till he's gone deals.  He quietly goes about his business and while mistakes tend to be glaring (like a puck bounce over the stick where he's caught off guard and flat footed), often no one notices when he's just doing a great job.  Holding the line, laying big hits.  When he's in beast mode, he's something special.  I love when he brings the physical game and isn't lethargic.  An engaged Edler is an asset.

8 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Depends on the contract and who else we can get for similar money. From what we've seen, Hamonic was brilliant for around the 1M mark. If Edler wants to take a 1-2 year, 1-2M deal and play as our 5-6th defenceman and just eat up PK minutes where he doesn't have to skate very much, perfect. We can play him at 15-17 minutes a night and really use his PK abilities (no wonder with Beagle/Sutter/Motte/Edler, our PK is still hovering around the top-10 mark despite losing Tanev and Marky and having 2 leaky goalies).

If we let him walk, we better as hell replace him with someone solid. All the other guys have been shaky, Hughes and Schmidt especially. Myers has IMO been our best defenceman this season so will certainly replace Eddy's minutes, but we need some more quality in our top-4. There's a lot of good names out there (Larsson is a tantalizing one) but it all depends on money and I don't see JB making any >4M deals any time soon, especially with the flat cap.

I'd be happy to re-sign Edler and Hamonic to matching 1.5-2M, 1-2 year deals. The other option is spending that money all on say Larsson.

Hughes - Larsson

Myers - Chatfield

Juolevi - Schmidt

Rathbone...

Not too much depth there which could be nervy, compared to:

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Schmidt

Juolevi - Hamonic

Chatfield

All of it's going to come down to how much we can swindle Petey, Demko and Hughes this off-season to be honest and luckily they've all played pretty badly so far.

Your whole last paragraph is the epitome of the loser mentality that has surrounded this team and it’s fans for over 50yrs.

Yeah, as others have said, bringing Eagle back for another year is a no-brainer.  I think he still plays well enough plus his “style” meshes with Hughes/Schmidt/Myers. 

He was reasonable on his last deal so I’m assuming it’ll be the same this time around.