The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Would You Do? Pt. 2

Rate this topic

MrCanuck94

What Would You Do? Pt. 2  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I would keep him if Canucks sign him the Perry, Spezza, and Simmonds contract. 

One year league minimum. I think those kinds of deals could prove useful as what we've seen from those aforementioned contracts because of the veteran presence. 

3 hours ago, iinatcc said:

That's kind of true though I'd argue Spezza is putting up points quite well. But I guess if not the league min maybe something like a 1.5 million one year contract. Some might find this on the low side but, considering how much free agents got last off season, it's a pretty fair deal 

I don't think it's realistic to expect Edler to take Spezza money - they aren't really good comparables.

Spezza's pts are a bonus at hometown discount league minimum - but still, Spezza is a role player - a 10 minute/game secondary scoring type player.   40% of his pts still come on the powerplay (40% over the past 5 years as well) for example, and a 55% ozone start type player (always has been).  Kerfoot plays harder minutes than Spezza, so does Tavares and Marner....

Interesting side note regarding the Leafs - the only players on the Leafs with a corsi over 50% are Nylander (53.5%) and Thornton (who in 9 games is at 58.2% - but also getting 72.6% ozone starts...)

When you scratch a little deeper - Spezza is still a relative liability without the puck (in spite of being a good faceoff guy).

He has among the worst on ice goals against on the Leafs (22nd/5th worst).

He has the 5th worst on ice sv% on the Leafs (if we exclude the guys that have played only a handful of games he's bottom 3).

None of which is to say those outcomes are not a 'good deal' at league minimum....

Even strength pts -  he's producing in the same range as guys like Motte and Sutter..(who play far harder minutes).

But Edler on the other hand is a guy that has consistently lead the team in hard minutes, penalty killing and has had outstanding outcomes in the process - great production in those minutes (22 even strength assists alone, last year)  arguably has remained the team's best two way,  most important all around defenseman.

Possible he signs a deal like Chara's last in Boston (3.75 million) but I think it's way to much to ask to expect him to take a deal like Chara's present deal - at 43 yrs of age (795k).  That's a giveaway - he's still playing a hair under 20 minutes, 5 pts, +5, 48.2% ozone starts, their #2 penalty killing defenseman....

• Upvote 1

I think Edler is basically the only leader left in the defensive corps so bringing him back should be a top priority. I don't see Myers or Schmidt as real leaders for our younger players right now. We will see what Benning says. I am just worried Benning is going to go on media and say signing Edler will be a priority because it means he is as good as gone.

3 hours ago, gurn said:

Needs to be year by year, otherwise, at his age, the Nucks would be on the hook for all the years of his new deal.

1 year $4-5-5 mill. less would be great, $4.5-5 is fair for the best defensive d we have.

I could see him going for it 

He won't play for another NHL team

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Next year our stars need to get paid and the 3rd/4th line needs to improve. 

Agreed, though a lot of this years issues are on poor defensive play/giveaways by the top line.

4 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Also our D needs to improve

Agree, they have had issues as well. Hopefully next year the same players will play better. Missing Hamonic hurts as well.

5 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Edler would be a great bottom pairing D but only if he signed for a crazy team discount. 

disagree . Edler is still an ok top line d man, a great 2nd pairing guy and any team that has Edler on the third pair is almost definitely Cup bound.

No other D on this team brings the overall game that Edler does, even at his age.

1 minute ago, gurn said:

disagree . Edler is still an ok top line d man, a great 2nd pairing guy and any team that has Edler on the third pair is almost definitely Cup bound.

No other D on this team brings the overall game that Edler does, even at his age.

If the team can afford it (doubtful) then I don't mind paying Edler well on a 1 year deal but no more.  I'm the biggest Edler fan boy but hopefully Benning has learned his lesson about giving old guys term & money.

It is really to early to tell............

I need these question answered and it is too early so far

Q 1................Does Juolevi continue to improve to the point of playing top 4 minutes?

Q 2................Does Rathbone continue to improve to the point of playing top 6 minutes?

Q 3................Does Edler continue to regress through the remaining part of the year?

These are answers that will not be completely answered until late in the season.........so I said yes re-sign him, but with a caviat

I'd wait to see what he looks like at the end of the season, and then also see what options are available in the summer.

He's a UFA with no expansion draft implications and staying in Vancouver is obviously his first priority, so we have all the leverage. That's not to say you should jerk around someone of Edler's stature, but at the same time, we should be using all the time and information available.

So many things can change between now and post-expansion draft / regular draft / free agency, it'd be foolish to make a decision at this point.

Edited by kanucks25

13 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Would you move on from Edler next season or keep him with another contract?

Personally, I think this situation needs to be handled like Ohlund's situation. Team needed to move on to take the next step. It's time to move on and bring in a new RHD to complete the revamp of our defence.

Hughes Schmidt

Juolevi Myers

Rathbone ----

PP1 - Hughes

PP2 - Could be any of the other four tbh

PK1 - Juolevi Myers

PK2 - Schmidt ----

The team will (potentially) be looking to fill two positions (and maybe as many as four) on defense for next year, Edler, Hammonic and Benn are UFAs and might not return. There is also the possibility that the Canucks could lose Myers in the expansion draft. Some will discount this possibility, but as it is a possible occurrence it needs to be on the table. The only sure bet for returning d-men for next season are Schmidt, Hughes and Juolevi. Prospects/AHL players aren't included in this part of the discussion (Brisebois, Chatfield, Eliot, Rafferty, Rathbone, Sautner, Teves, Woo). Just for this reason, re-signing Edler could be a necessity.

If the team doesn't re-sign Edler (or Benn, and/or they lose Myers in the draft) there are two options for next season.

Option #1: The team would have to sign more UFA d-men (left or right side - there is flexibility with Schmidt). Potential downsides could be cap and term, the potential quality of the candidates, plus the younger d-men don't get NHL playing time to help their development. The upside is that the team is (supposedly) ready to go with experienced d-men to mentor/shelter the younger players (Hughes and Juolevi), as well as giving support to the vets (Schmidt and Myers - assuming he is still here).

Option #2: The less likely option, is that the team would not sign any UFAs and would give more of the younger d-men (left and right side- there is flexibility with Schmidt ) an opportunity to grow into the role as  bottom pairing d-men. Potential downsides could be that the inexperience of the players means more work for the other d-men, missed coverages, inflated goals against, etc. We are talking about Schmidt being the only veteran d-man. Upside could be that the team saves a ton on cap space and can better evaluate what they do have by way of d-men in the system.

regards,  G.