The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can one bad contract ruin a whole roaster?

Rate this topic

LeafsFanDan

Many people believe the answer is resoundingly YES.

I pulled a few recent articles including:

Karlsson contract single handedly ruined Sharks season

And this delicious quote from a Toronto paper:

Catastrophe in Buffalo

"Thirteen games in, Jack Eichel has scored twice. Taylor Hall has scored once. And Jeff Skinner hasn’t scored at all.

Combined, a high-paid trio that is earning $27-million this year has one even-strength goal and nine even-strength points. Skinner, who’s $9-million cap hit makes him the highest-paid fourth-line forward in the NHL, hasn’t scored in almost 12 months."

____

It's for these types of reasons why so many and I mean many people in Vancouver are on Bennings case about poor contracts. Just one bad contract can absolutely crush a team, no joke. Yet Canucks have several, it's incredible they are where they are in the standings considering how bad their contract managment has been.

Cautionary tale here for EP and QH contracts coming up, they can make or break a team just 2 guys is enough to completely tank a team as shown.

Thoughts are welcomed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, LeafsFanDan said:

Catastrophe in Buffalo

"Thirteen games in, Jack Eichel has scored twice. Taylor Hall has scored once. And Jeff Skinner hasn’t scored at all.

Combined, a high-paid trio that is earning $27-million this year has one even-strength goal and nine even-strength points. Skinner, who’s $9-million cap hit makes him the highest-paid fourth-line forward in the NHL, hasn’t scored in almost 12 months."

____

It's for these types of reasons why so many and I mean many people in Vancouver are on Bennings case about poor contracts. Just one bad contract can absolutely crush a team, no joke. Yet Canucks have several, it's incredible they are where they are in the standings considering how bad their contract managment has been.

Cautionary tale here for EP and QH contracts coming up, they can make or break a team just 2 guys is enough to completely tank a team as shown.

Thoughts are welcomed.

I think the 6 million dollar contract for Eriksson has been overstated. The Canucks didn't entirely get punished by that ONE contract. However, there is something to be said about the other bottom 6 forwards - that they may have been paid too much for their production. I think it's valid to mention it. That being said, the very same people criticizing the construction of Benning's rosters have avoided crediting the prospect development that he brought about which has been huge for this team. Without it, perhaps those above signings would have gotten Benning fired a lot sooner.

Look at Buffalo/Edmonton - both these teams have been stocking up 1st round picks, but because they rush their prospects, this has been problematic to them during their rebuild.

Yes he has not been perfect. But to state that he didn't revamp the scouting department (he did) and how it looks for prospects (also what he did) is just dishonest discourse. No other GM in recent memory has produced as many exciting prospects/young players as Benning. That is a fact.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

No, I don't think so. 

Even if you look at the final four every year, you'll find that even the elite teams have certain amount of dollars not contributing. It's standard to make a few mistakes and have to work around it. 

It becomes an issue that truly hampers your team if - in addition to your manageable/expected amount of bad cap dollars - you're not getting surplus value from the guys who aren't significantly overpaid and/OR if your significant overpayments/dead cap reaches an insane totality. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

46 minutes ago, LeafsFanDan said:

Skinner, who’s $9-million cap hit makes him the highest-paid fourth-line forward in the NHL, hasn’t scored in almost 12 months."

"almost 12 months" 

including the missed the playoffs and off season as time he hasn't scored is kind of misleading, isn't it?

He played poorly last year and worse this, no need for the reporter to pile on with that type of commentary

Edited by gurn
  • Cheers 1

Rather have a few overpaid vets(3-6 millish), off books in a yr(or two, at most), than a 9 - 11 million $ lump signed 'til eternity!

We chalk it up to a learning experience, for future biz.

We got:

- maybe ONE hiccup yr(whoop-di-do)

- The best run of any Cdn entry, 5 mos back

- One of the best young cores in the game

- ANDDDD, that assembly line keeps churnin' them out

Absolutely no need for drama-queenin' this short-term hiccup!

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

1 contract could ruin a team's potential, but the whole roster? Unlikely.

Hall has proven he can produce on different teams, Eichel has also shown he's more valuable than his production thisnyear would suggest.

Buffalo's problems are not their contracts.

Edited by falcon45ca

@bishopshodan Holy jumpin', your post has insisted on feelin' the blues...

I can tell by the wayyy, you heckle that lump

Derision in posts, you've lost all yer jump

But if you let CDC...here's what they'll doooo

Ah, they'll take care of you

YOU don't have to worry...you don't ever have to cry

We'll track down more sweet young talent

To dry our weepin' eyes....

3 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

@bishopshodan Holy jumpin', your post has insisted on feelin' the blues...

I can tell by the wayyy, you heckle that lump

Derision in posts, you've lost all yer jump

But if you let CDC...here's what they'll doooo

Ah, they'll take care of you

YOU don't have to worry...you don't ever have to cry

We'll track down more sweet young talent

To dry our weepin' eyes....

Oh, I'll give it one more try
Before I give up on love

• Cheers 1

It's easy to kick Buffalo when they're down, but I'm not sure the contracts are the biggest problem over there. It goes deeper than that, they're Edmonton level futile and they probably shouldn't be given the talent on that roster. 

It goes deeper than that. Perhaps it's a cultural thing, perhaps it's an organizational problem, I don't know. People paid a helluva lot more than me haven't been able to figure things out over there. 

2 hours ago, LeafsFanDan said:

Catastrophe in Buffalo

____

Thoughts are welcomed.

petey hughes are superstars  so far in their limited careers  they will get paid wellim not to worried bout them not producing 

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Kind of a bit early to finalize any judgements on Eichel.

Exactly.  True for both him and Hall  

Eichel: 13 points in 14 games despite only 2 goals
Hall: 10 points in 14 games despite only 1 goal

Skinner for sure is a bad contract, but writing that decontextualizes and exaggerates is not good journalism. 

• Vintage 2