The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Eichel to Vancouver - “thinking out loud.”

[proposal] Eichel to Vancouver - “thinking out loud.”

Disclaimer:  I don’t think Eichel will be traded to Vancouver nor do I necessarily recommend it (I’m split in two minds but it would likely be a moot point anyways).  

Anyways.....

1) If Horvat + Miller + 2021 1st was able to get you Eichel.

2) The Canucks long term plan for the top 6 and their top 4 D revolves around....

Virtanen-Pettersson-Boeser

Hoglander-Eichel-Podkolzin

Hughes-####
#####-Schmidt

(Im assuming that we wouldn’t be able to keep Pearson due to the cap).

A) Do you think we’d have a strong enough foundation to build a cup winning team around?

B-) Would a trade like this make us better or worse off in the long run?

Edited by DarkIndianRises
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

We don't need to be a dumping ground for bad contracts, for Buff or TO or CHI or whomever

I think we can do better in the next 2 seasons in the UFAs available

We are in no rush right now, this season is pretty much done, I think we have to win near 75% or something to get in the playoffs

High draft pick, add Podz ELC, add Tryamkin low show me contract, and possibly another ELC from Utica Lind maybe

Next season looks brighter

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Like 1

That's an overall downgrade, imo.

Eichel is a fantastic player, but Bo is no slouch and is one of the better 2nd line centers in the league. Yes, we would upgrade our center position from a scoring perspective, but our wingers look woeful. Virtanen will never be a 1st line player, and while Podz has lots of potential, I certainly don't want our futures resting on him being a high end top 6 contributor.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

That's an overall downgrade, imo.

Eichel is a fantastic player, but Bo is no slouch and is one of the better 2nd line centers in the league. Yes, we would upgrade our center position from a scoring perspective, but our wingers look woeful. Virtanen will never be a 1st line player, and while Podz has lots of potential, I certainly don't want our futures resting on him being a high end top 6 contributor.

Agreed.  Like I said, I probably wouldn’t trade for Eichel but it has crossed my mind.  

Eichel and Pettersson as a one two punch at center with Hughes and Schmidt quarterbacking two separate defensive pairings would attract a LOT of UFA attention.

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

In what universe is Virtanen playing on the 1st line?

In a universe where he’d be carried by great linemates and could be sheltered somewhat.  Similar to Mario Lemieux’s Rob Brown or Joe Thornton’s Jonathan Cheechoo?

Speaking of Virtanen, then would be the dark side in trading for Eichel.   You’d be sacrificing depth for top end talent.    Hence - Virtanen likely would slide into our top 6 given what we’d likely have to give up in order to get Eichel.

1 minute ago, DarkIndianRises said:

In a universe where he’d be carried by great linemates and could be sheltered somewhat.  Similar to Mario Lemieux’s Rob Brown or Joe Thornton’s Jonathan Cheechoo?

Speaking of Virtanen, then would be the dark side in trading for Eichel.   You’d be sacrificing depth for top end talent.    Hence - Virtanen likely would slide into our top 6 given what we’d likely have to give up in order to get Eichel.

The only place Virtanen is sliding into is the waiver wire or maybe Seattle does us a favour and takes him off our hands.  You'd be lucky to get a 3rd round pick for him right now.  He's playing on our 4th line.  How do you go from the 4th line to the 1st line?  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The only place Virtanen is sliding into is the waiver wire or maybe Seattle does us a favour and takes him off our hands.  You'd be lucky to get a 3rd round pick for him right now.  He's playing on our 4th line.  How do you go from the 4th line to the 1st line?  

There are other factors to consider.   It was only a year ago that Virtanen was on pace for 20 goals getting 3rd line minutes.   So what happened?  Did the guy forget how to play hockey all of a sudden?    What about JT Miller?   Sure his point totals are similar to what they were last season but anyone can tell you that he hasn’t looked the same.  

Maybe “Covid fatigue” affects everyone differently?   Guys like Virtanen and Miller are quite “social” and so perhaps the Covid lifestyle has had a greater effect on them than most?   I know Virtanen has been the drizzling $&!#s over the past 12 months, but I’d be interested to see how he performs in a post Covid world with a new coach.

32 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

There are other factors to consider.   It was only a year ago that Virtanen was on pace for 20 goals getting 3rd line minutes.   So what happened?  Did the guy forget how to play hockey all of a sudden?    What about JT Miller?   Sure his point totals are similar to what they were last season but anyone can tell you that he hasn’t looked the same.  

Maybe “Covid fatigue” affects everyone differently?   Guys like Virtanen and Miller are quite “social” and so perhaps the Covid lifestyle has had a greater effect on them than most?   I know Virtanen has been the drizzling $&!#s over the past 12 months, but I’d be interested to see how he performs in a post Covid world with a new coach.

Is one of your arguments here Jake needs to go clubbing as often as he did to be an average hockey player again 

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Yeah, Jake in a top six doesn't exactly inspire confidence at this point. Expecting Eichel to carry two near rookies is questionable as well, regardless of their talent. I'm also not a fan of one player taking up 10m worth of cap space, that's nuts to me. I'd prefer the depth Horvat and Miller provide. 

I'm OK with moving Miller, 2021 1st and one of Juolevi or Rathbone for JE.... but I don't think that gets it done. 

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm OK with moving Miller, 2021 1st and one of Juolevi or Rathbone for JE.... but I don't think that gets it done. 

It wouldn't, I think many Canucks fans tend to either overvalue or undervalue their players, but Horvat's one of the higher end 2c's in the league. Trading Eichel and only getting Miller and futures/a rookie would only continue to spin the rebuild wheel. A combination of Miller and Horvat would definitely be more appealing, that's two legit pieces of a top six plus a potential lottery pick. And really, there's no way Buffalo would be interested in a first that had lottery protection as it'd potentially push the envelope back further.