The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Eichel to Vancouver - “thinking out loud.”

1 hour ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

lol curb your Canuck bias. 

Eichel > Petey.

He'd be playing on the first line not the second line.

Especially with Virtanen being on a team's top line over Eichel is just that icing on top of the cake.

I didn’t say or imply otherwise.    I only put 
Petey and Boeser together in my suggested line combos so that both lines would be balanced.  Eichel would be good enough to carry Hogz and Podz whereas Petey likely wouldn’t.

1 hour ago, Zhukini said:

Is one of your arguments here Jake needs to go clubbing as often as he did to be an average hockey player again 

Not necessarily clubbing per se, but just getting back to a post Covid world might go a long ways for him.  For all of Jake’s warts, the guy was on pace to scoring 20 goals last season, clubbing or not.   The Covid life and Covid fatigue is an actual thing and people react differently to it.  My guess is that more sociable people are likely to be affected by it more intensely.  This might explain why guys like Virtanen, Miller, and even Nate Schmidt aren’t playing up to their potential.

7 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Disclaimer:  I don’t think Eichel will be traded to Vancouver nor do I necessarily recommend it (I’m split in two minds but it would likely be a moot point anyways).  

Anyways.....

1) If Horvat + Miller + 2021 1st was able to get you Eichel.

2) The Canucks long term plan for the top 6 and their top 4 D revolves around....

Virtanen-Pettersson-Boeser

Hoglander-Eichel-Podkolzin

Hughes-####
#####-Schmidt

(Im assuming that we wouldn’t be able to keep Pearson due to the cap).

A) Do you think we’d have a strong enough foundation to build a cup winning team around?

B-) Would a trade like this make us better or worse off in the long run?

No I would never make that trade, Horvat, Miller and 1st rounder -top 10 pick 2021   ------- Eichel is very good but not worth that..

Buffalo would make that trade....... Big no for Vancouver

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Here’s what Pettersson + Hughes for Eichel + Dahlin would look like.

Miller-Eichel-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander 

Roussel-Sutter-Gaudette

Motte-Beagle-Virtanen

Dahlin-Schmidt

Edler-Myers

Juolevi-Benn 

Demko

Holtby

Kenan Thompson No GIF by Saturday Night Live

Could be a nice upgrade on Pettersson to be honest. Yes, Petey is a fan-favourite but Eichel is arguably much stronger offensive and defensively. We'd have to give up something nice though for it.

Petey + 1st (top-10 protected, or 2nd) + Virtanen for Eichel + depth player coming back to even numbers might do the trick? If they want a defenceman throw them Chatfield instead of Virtanen. Anything more would be over-payment. Simplified, Petey + Virtanen probably isn't enough, Petey + 2nd might do it though. I don't see Buffalo making that trade because 1-for-1 Eichel has been better so far and Pettersson is a bit of a wild card, he could burst out but lately he hasn't proven he's an 80-100 point player yet whereas Eichel can be and has done with useless linemates.

20 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

We don't need to be a dumping ground for bad contracts, for Buff or TO or CHI or whomever

I think we can do better in the next 2 seasons in the UFAs available

We are in no rush right now, this season is pretty much done, I think we have to win near 75% or something to get in the playoffs

High draft pick, add Podz ELC, add Tryamkin low show me contract, and possibly another ELC from Utica Lind maybe

Next season looks brighter

about the 75% thing thats not true, if we win all our games vs winnepeg edmonton and calgary, we stand a good chance of making he playoffs with a .500 record

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Petey_BOI said:

about the 75% thing thats not true, if we win all our games vs winnepeg edmonton and calgary, we stand a good chance of making he playoffs with a .500 record

So 18-0 vs those 3 teams eh

Kinda don't see that happening. 

If we play well,  I  see us getting maybe 10 of those games.

Edited by Hairy Kneel

38 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Could be a nice upgrade on Pettersson to be honest. Yes, Petey is a fan-favourite but Eichel is arguably much stronger offensive and defensively. We'd have to give up something nice though for it.

Petey + 1st (top-10 protected, or 2nd) + Virtanen for Eichel + depth player coming back to even numbers might do the trick? If they want a defenceman throw them Chatfield instead of Virtanen. Anything more would be over-payment. Simplified, Petey + Virtanen probably isn't enough, Petey + 2nd might do it though. I don't see Buffalo making that trade because 1-for-1 Eichel has been better so far and Pettersson is a bit of a wild card, he could burst out but lately he hasn't proven he's an 80-100 point player yet whereas Eichel can be and has done with useless linemates.

I agree that Eichel is a better C than Pete and his physical superiority makes him a more complete player.  The 2yr difference in age needs to be acknowledged though, as both players have almost identical #s in their first 2 years in the NHL.  This year appears to be an anomaly for many players throughout the league; including Pete and several of his teammates. For whatever reason(s), EP is not performing as expected, but at just 22yrs, it would be unwise to think that what you have seen is as good as it gets for Petterson.

I really don't know what Buff would want for Eichel, but I really doubt Chatfied or Virtanen would be included on the mix.  I suspect that 8yrs of top 10 draft picks and 9 years of no P/Os, would indicate that they aren't searching for more draft picks either.  They have some excellent players on their team who are struggling, so they might want to shake things up a bit.  More like restructuring than rebuilding; the team as it is, is looking like a team with no chemistry or character.

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I mentioned this earlier but I honestly wonder if Buffalo would be interested in a Pettersson + Hughes + ???  For Eichel + Dahlin swap.   

As you’ve mentioned, Eichel is clearly a superior player to Pettersson, and while Hughes is better offensively than Dahlin (as of now), Dahlin is the stronger two way dman.  Given Dahlin’s skill set, you could play him with Nate Schmidt and form a power pairing (whereas a Hughes-Schmidt pairing wouldn’t work since it would be too much of a liability defensively).   

Trading for Eichel in a way that doesn’t decimate our depth would be a really tough and bold prospect.

One big issue is that he is a great player, but he is also locked into a huge “pre-covid” value contract that assumed a steadily increasing cap to make it more palatable.  We are likely to get Petterson on a bridge deal in the $7-7.5 million range.

We would absolutely have to re-sign Petterson and Hughes first, just so we still have a lower internal cap.

I think Petterson and Horvat are a non starter.  We are better if we can either spread those guys on three lines who get similar minutes or just slide Petterson back to the wing where he was also dominant in the SHL.

Edited by Provost
  • Upvote 1

On 2/22/2021 at 11:46 AM, DarkIndianRises said:

Perhaps another thing to consider is that Buffalo is forced to leave a forward exposed in the draft who would otherwise have been protected, assuming that both Horvat and Miller would be protected. Maybe this could be an additional cost for Buffalo turning down this trade... but, on second thought, looking at the Buffalo forwards maybe this wouldn't be too much of a problem.

regards,  G.

• Cheers 1

So what about a "super trade" with BUF bringing together the two threads currently out there???.......

To VAN: Eichel, Cozens, BUF 1st 2021, Skinner (will be bought out)

To BUF: Horvat, Miller, VAN 1st 2021, Eriksson, Roussel

VAN lineup next season:

Pettersson Eichel Boeser

Nugent-Hopkins Cozens Podkolzin

Hoglander Lowry Gaudette 

Motte Beagle Virtanen

(MacEwen)

Edler Schmidt

Hughes Savard

Juolevi Tryamkin

(Rathbone)

Demko

(Holtby)

• Cheers 1

(2021 off season deal)

Pettersson + Hughes + Miller

for 

Eichel + Dahlin + Reinhart

Next year:

Hoglander-Eichel-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Podkolzin 

Virtanen-Reinhart-Gaudette

Roussel-Beagle-Motte

Dahlin-Schmidt 

Juolevi-Myers 

Benn-Hamonic

Demko

Holtby

Edited by DarkIndianRises

I wouldn't do it. I'd even question Horvat for Eichel straight up. I know Eichel's worth more than Horvat, but Horvat's proven to fit on this team. Eichel isn't.

So, while I don't question the value, I question it being the right move for this team. I actually think it would be the wrong move.

On 2/22/2021 at 2:46 PM, DarkIndianRises said:

Disclaimer:  I don’t think Eichel will be traded to Vancouver nor do I necessarily recommend it (I’m split in two minds but it would likely be a moot point anyways).  

Anyways.....

2) The Canucks long term plan for the top 6 and their top 4 D revolves around....

Virtanen-Pettersson-Boeser

Hoglander-Eichel-Podkolzin

Hughes-####
#####-Schmidt

(Im assuming that we wouldn’t be able to keep Pearson due to the cap).

A) Do you think we’d have a strong enough foundation to build a cup winning team around?

B-) Would a trade like this make us better or worse off in the long run?

Let's not forget what Buffalo themselves in their top six to work with this year...If Eichel can't make it work with either Hall or Skinner...yikes...