The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tories Motion to Declare China's Action Against Uighurs as Genocide Passes 266-0, 72 Abstained (Cowards)

DonLever

37 minutes ago, gurn said:

On the plus side, this was a good time to clean up my "ignored poster" list.

figured I was safe taking Ryan Strome off the list, in a 1 for 1 trade.

I miss arguing with him. I do worry he's moved on to Parler. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the majority of what? 

from your comments I can only assume you don't know how our system works or how we've developed the systems we have. 

The majority of people do not like politicians. They are disenfranchised, find them disgusting and vote with their noses in the air or with their eyes closed. 

Strange seeing people defend politicians. 

3 minutes ago, GetFocht said:

The majority of people do not like politicians. They are disenfranchised, find them disgusting and vote with their noses in the air or with their eyes closed. 

Strange seeing people defend politicians. 

most people only pay attention every 4 years. That is not the fault of politicians that people are disengaged. You have a responsibility as a citizen to give a $&!#. 

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

most people only pay attention every 4 years. That is not the fault of politicians that people are disengaged. You have a responsibility as a citizen to give a $&!#. 

Ya.  If you supported a politician who spent years in the back benches and then moves hundreds of KMs away from your town for years, retires before the next election, then vote for the candidate from the same party, who was endorsed by that previous MP, you get what you voted for.  r/oddlyspecific.

3 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Ya.  If you supported a politician who spent years in the back benches and then moves hundreds of KMs away from your town for years, retires before the next election, then vote for the candidate from the same party, who was endorsed by that previous MP, you get what you voted for.  r/oddlyspecific.

that is oddly specific.

Its things like demanding more representative government. Or easier voting systems (online, mail in). Or demanding more opportunities for petitions that carry real teeth in forming legislation. 

We lay back like collective sheep, maybe 60% bother to go vote, and then whine that we didn't get what we wanted. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

that is oddly specific.

Its things like demanding more representative government. Or easier voting systems (online, mail in). Or demanding more opportunities for petitions that carry real teeth in forming legislation. 

We lay back like collective sheep, maybe 60% bother to go vote, and then whine that we didn't get what we wanted. 

Demanding, that'll work.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

that is oddly specific.

Yup.  Gotta love PG

https://vancouversun.com/news/metro/retiring-bc-mp-dick-harris-cashes-in

Retiring B.C. MP Dick Harris cashes in

Low-profile B.C. Conservative MP Dick Harris, who is retiring from politics this autumn with one of the fattest pensions in Parliament, has left taxpayers with a parting bill — the highest expense tally of any MP in the province and the second-highest in Canada. Harris represents the Cariboo-Prince George riding but has lived for several years on a condominium near a golf course about 800 kilometres south of Prince George, in sunny southern B.C.’s Okanagan Valley.

• Hydration 1

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

um, yes. 

As dumb as it was, BC does't have an HST e.g. How did that happen? 

One party used cancelling it as a campaign promise to get elected. Then they did, and did nothing else and added a bunch of rubbish the next party platformed on to remove. 

This isn't getting ahead. This is going backwards. 

8 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Yup.  Gotta love PG

https://vancouversun.com/news/metro/retiring-bc-mp-dick-harris-cashes-in

Retiring B.C. MP Dick Harris cashes in

Low-profile B.C. Conservative MP Dick Harris, who is retiring from politics this autumn with one of the fattest pensions in Parliament, has left taxpayers with a parting bill — the highest expense tally of any MP in the province and the second-highest in Canada. Harris represents the Cariboo-Prince George riding but has lived for several years on a condominium near a golf course about 800 kilometres south of Prince George, in sunny southern B.C.’s Okanagan Valley.

Love me some politicians

Just now, GetFocht said:

One party used cancelling it as a campaign promise to get elected. Then they did, and did nothing else and added a bunch of rubbish the next party platformed on to remove. 

This isn't getting ahead. This is going backwards. 

its an example of engagement. Van der Zalm, for better or worse, tapped into peoples frustrations over the HST and got it changed. We can debate the sense of it, but there's no denying a majority of people were heard and got what they wanted.

We need to do this for many other things. There's no substitute for all of us getting more engaged and telling politicians what we want. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

its an example of engagement. Van der Zalm, for better or worse, tapped into peoples frustrations over the HST and got it changed. We can debate the sense of it, but there's no denying a majority of people were heard and got what they wanted.

We need to do this for many other things. There's no substitute for all of us getting more engaged and telling politicians what we want. 

When you vote them in for one change and then enact 5 other horribles, that's politicians. 

3 minutes ago, GetFocht said:

When you vote them in for one change and then enact 5 other horribles, that's politicians. 

OK I've tried my best.

So tell me, once we blow it all up, what do you want to see it replaced with? 

1 hour ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

And I/we love some rubes who go and vote for these tools simply because the have the right letters by their name indicating party affiliation.  That's why millions people still voted for the orange turd down south, even though he's one of, if not the worst POTUS ever.  The point I made is that a bunch of uninformed voters went into the booth and put an X by the name of the guy who literally took them for thousands and thousands of dollars of their tax money and said lets have some more.  If you are bitching about politicians, then run. Volunteer for a candidate you support.  Donate to their campaign.  Do anything but just complain about "politicians" on a message board.  That is how things change, but far too many just do jack squat.

Why would I want to run for a position that is filled with only trash looking for perks and a pension?

No thanks. The government should be flushed from top to bottom and rebuilt. Term limits, charges or penalty for false promises made on the campaign trail, cutting out the fat, balanced representation and so much more. 

People put an X because it's 'pick your poison'. Same $h*t, different pile. 

42 minutes ago, GetFocht said:

Why would I want to run for a position that is filled with only trash looking for perks and a pension?

No thanks. The government should be flushed from top to bottom and rebuilt. Term limits, charges or penalty for false promises made on the campaign trail, cutting out the fat, balanced representation and so much more. 

People put an X because it's 'pick your poison'. Same $h*t, different pile. 

To show them all what a politician with integrity looks like. Be the change you want to see....

....instead of pointlessly complaining about them on an internet forum....

8 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

To show them all what a politician with integrity looks like. Be the change you want to see....

....instead of pointlessly complaining about them on an internet forum....

Maybe when it's flushed, until then I will call them gross.