The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tories Motion to Declare China's Action Against Uighurs as Genocide Passes 266-0, 72 Abstained (Cowards)

DonLever

5 hours ago, Heretic said:

I'd rather pay twice the cost for goods.

I already buy local.

I do NOT shop at Costco nor WalMart.

Did you know the apple industry in BC is in serious trouble?  Why?  Because the US supplements the Washington State Apple farmers so they can sell their fruit to us cheaper - guess which stores buy produce from Washington?  

Yeah...you see where this is going.  

Stop worrying about saving 25 cents on an apple and support BC/Canada products. 

Not to mention BC's royal gala apples blow away any of the crap coming out of Washington. 

• Cheers 4

6 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Hopefully this is more than just words.  I want to see action.  

If anything, Canada should just welcome anyone with a HK passport to immigrate here.  

You want to really hurt China, think how much it would hurt of suddenly half a million resident from HK with all their assets just up and re-settled here.  With more capital mean more investment in local industries.  More highly educated workforce means better productivities and a higher skilled workforce to compete globally.  

I hate to sound racist.... but I definitely prefer HKer than mainlanders.  Even most of my family from China originally feels the same.  

I feel like this distinction between HK and mainlanders has been accelerating over the past decade or so, especially amongst the Asian community in Canada as a whole. 

5 hours ago, DonLever said:

Trudeau himself has not said China's action against the Uighurs was genocide.   And today the Liberal Cabinet abstained from the vote.

"However, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has so far stopped short of calling the treatment of the Uighurs a genocide, calling the term a "loaded word" that should be used carefully".

"abstained" as in wants to have it both ways.  Won't vote against is but won't vote for it. Great leadership.  

Politics aside, what does Canada now stand for if we don't' speak out against such atrocities? Are cheap products worth turning our back on the systematic abuses of other peoples?  I find it hard to recognize this country sometimes.  It seems we will sacrifice anything here or abroad for a little comfort promised by our elected officials.  Shameful.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I don't mind processed apples, but my doctor says to minimize intake of processed food.

However, I definitely cannot bring myself to eat raw unprocessed apples (sliced, peeled, or not).

I got the stomach flu and had some raw green peppers for dinner that night.

Became very close with my toilet that night.

It took me probably 25-30 years before I started eating raw green peppers in my Greek salad.

Edited by CBH1926
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Personally, I'm more partial to our cherries and peaches myself.  I had a bad run-in with apples as a kid...  :sick:

We had two apple trees in our backyard. I loved climbing them. And when my mom made apple pie. Nom..nom. 

But I agree with our cherries. Also nom nom. 

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

To use an example, HKers are more like South Koreans while mainlanders are more like North Koreans.  I think.  Except for the really rich mainlanders, who want to slather their bodies with a mixture of the most expensive most trendy junk without pausing to look and discern whether or not what they're wearing makes fashion sense of any kind - just to try to demonstrate just how &^@#ing rich they are.  :sadno:

Yes, that is totally true.  

Expensive stuff should only accent your overall look.  Like a Burberry purse and matching belt to go add texture and colour to a more bland look or something.  

What I see lots of Mainlanders do.... a Moschino dress, then a Burberry cap, a Hermes scarf, a LV purse and a pair of Gucci boots.... all at the same time.  Sometimes I wish the fashion police is a real thing.  

I love Japanese fashion, especially "gyaru"... but there's a big difference between flashy and trashy.  Lots of rich Mainlanders seem to dress more to the latter.  

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, CBH1926 said:

Yeah, not a fan of red delicious, not sure why it was number 1 selling apple for 50 years.

Supply would be my guess.. Gnarcore knows his apples though.

A couple of mature apple trees came with the house; a Macintosh and a Red Delicious.

One day they'll stop producing and I'll replace the RD with a Gala, and plant a new Mac for my wife to bake amazing things with.

No one's mentioned our peaches. Our peaches are the &^@#ing bomb.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I've got three synths right now (2 analog Korgs and a Yamaha digital) so I can get the job done, but the Arturia set up is probably my next move.

The Motif and Jupiter, etc will happen when the lotto numbers come through. (I'll update my guitar setup then, as well)

Is there any possible way someone like myself could listen to your music ?

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

Just remember, even though it's 266-0, it really means only 266 out of 338.  That means 72 MP didn't even bother to vote or just didn't want to upset their Sino-overloards constituents.

I know my local MP abstained from the vote.  He has been to China often, been apart of those semi-formal diplomatic meetings with the Chinese government, etc.  Active on twitter to preach about human rights, protests in Chile, etc...  but distinctively nothing was mentioned about the HK protest back in 2019.  

Something to think about next election.  Does your disagreement with an opposing party trumps your candidate being a CCP shill?  How much influence does the CCP (or RMB money) has on your candidate.  

Fortunately we're not in a 2 party country.  I usually vote NDP but I have no issue voting Green or Liberal if I don't like the local candidate.  Fortunately she didn't abstain.