The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tories Motion to Declare China's Action Against Uighurs as Genocide Passes 266-0, 72 Abstained (Cowards)

DonLever

18 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

So, here is my first statement

I have no problem with Muslim's

It is not my religion, but there are a lot of not my religion's out there

So, here is my question

Would you vote to allow Canada to let all Uighurs to immigrate to Canada?

I am not sure how many there are, but we have plenty of land and water

and alot more money than them, so I am sure, we could afford it,

with a little down turn in our economy, but we would rebound eventually

So would you vote yes?

Let's be honest here! 

There are about 12 million Uighurs in Xinjiang.  Clearly we could not accomodate such a large population.

That being said, I was hoping your question would get more discussion because it's an interesting one.

Suppose President Xi started transporting thousands of Uighurs to Canada on a regular basis on freighters and planes saying: "You're so concerned about them, you can have them."

What would our response be?   What should our response be?

3 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

There are about 12 million Uighurs in Xinjiang.  Clearly we could not accomodate such a large population.

That being said, I was hoping your question would get more discussion because it's an interesting one.

Suppose President Xi started transporting thousands of Uighurs to Canada on a regular basis on freighters and planes saying: "You're so concerned about them, you can have them."

What would our response be?   What should our response be?

https://www.rcinet.ca/en/2017/09/20/white-south-africans-denied-refugee-status-in-canada/

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

In the case you cite, the government refused to accept their grounds for refugee status.

In the case of the Uighurs, Parliament has already said they're victims of genocide.  That would make it pretty hard for us to refuse to accept them, wouldn't it?

Just now, UnkNuk said:

In the case you cite, the government refused to accept their grounds for refugee status.

In the case of the Uighurs, Parliament has already said they're victims of genocide.  That would make it pretty hard for us to refuse to accept them, wouldn't it?

The fact that we turn a blind eye to one but not the other is appalling and their excuse for why is weak and obvious they don’t want the backlash from fools who would call them out on it. Double think.

7 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

this vote is the literal the definition virtue signalling, it has no binding elements to it whatsoever. 

Principles... thats interesting. Singh e.g. lets his MPs rally to release Meng, while propping up the Conservatives in this charade.Thats politicking at its worst imo. He lets his MPs cave in and try to get Meng released, otoh plays these games to make it harder on our guys in jail :picard:

Trudeau and his cabinet let the Conservatives bash them on the head with this because they are the ones who are dealing with the reality of China and trying to get our two citizens home, which btw goes well beyond these two guys. The way that story plays out will effect the lives of every Canadian living and working in China. Its much bigger than some meaningless grandstanding.

All O'Toole did at best was a useless gesture for cheap points, at worst just doomed Kovrig and Spavor to years, maybe their lives, in jail. 

All politicians are slimy and gross and if you disagree you are likely a politician. 

23 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

To use an example, HKers are more like South Koreans while mainlanders are more like North Koreans.  I think.  Except for the really rich mainlanders, who want to slather their bodies with a mixture of the most expensive most trendy junk without pausing to look and discern whether or not what they're wearing makes fashion sense of any kind - just to try to demonstrate just how &^@#ing rich they are.  :sadno:

Lol that's just a symptom of a bunch of new money for those who benefited from the rapid economic growth in China during the 90s-2000s. Some Koreans do the same thing, but not as much. 

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan

11 hours ago, Wayne Glensky said:

Maybe so, but there was a time, in Trudeaus own words, in a live interview... 

The future prime minister’s odd answer: “You know, there’s a level of admiration I actually have for China ….”

China? Why China?

“Because their basic dictatorship is allowing them to actually turn their economy around on a dime and say ‘we need to go green  fastest…we need to start investing in solar.'”

To me right there that is enough evidence to prove Trudeau isn’t about Canada first. 

Show me a single world leader that would not echo that sentiment and I will show you a liar

What world leader or governing body would not want to be able to say "stay home and inside everything is closed or else" and have the people listen without question to a person?  Trudeau only said exactly what everyone else is thinking while in power.  I wish people would just shut up and do what they're told.

Case in point, imagine the government saying don't travel stay home.  And people listened....

Edited by Warhippy

On 2/22/2021 at 6:22 PM, janisahockeynut said:

So, here is my first statement

I have no problem with Muslim's

It is not my religion, but there are a lot of not my religion's out there

So, here is my question

Would you vote to allow Canada to let all Uighurs to immigrate to Canada?

I am not sure how many there are, but we have plenty of land and water

and alot more money than them, so I am sure, we could afford it,

with a little down turn in our economy, but we would rebound eventually

So would you vote yes?

Let's be honest here! 

Would I vote to throw the borders wide open and take all Uighurs or any other group of refugees in? No but certainly we should coordinate with other nations to do our part. However I would not turn away any that made it to our shores. Canada, until more recently, does not have a very proud history in this regard. The MS St. Louis and Komogata Maru are two very shameful examples.

So to answer your question I would vote a qualified yes.

7 minutes ago, GetFocht said:

Part of the problem, you are.

if we're pointing fingers, I'd suggest its you. If you are so unengaged that you paint every person in politics as bad, then you just don't care enough to look. 

There are excellent people in all of our political parties. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

if we're pointing fingers, I'd suggest its you. If you are so unengaged that you paint every person in politics as bad, then you just don't care enough to look. 

There are excellent people in all of our political parties. 

There aren't. They let you down at every opportunity they can. Some don't get caught. One side points fingers at the other side and vice versa. 

There should have been multiple revolutions, but people don't care. Death by a thousand cuts. Politicians are disgusting, every single one of them. 

Not directly related to this topic but about dealing with trade, sanctions, etc. with China.

US and allies to build 'China-free' tech supply chain 

Exclusive: Biden to sign presidential order to bolster chip, battery and rare-earth industries

https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics/International-relations/US-and-allies-to-build-China-free-tech-supply-chain

1 minute ago, GetFocht said:

There aren't. They let you down at every opportunity they can. Some don't get caught. One side points fingers at the other side and vice versa. 

There should have been multiple revolutions, but people don't care. Death by a thousand cuts. Politicians are disgusting, every single one of them. 

this is an unjustifiable opinion. And completely ignoring the Canadian quality of life. 

Just now, 4petesake said:

Not directly related to this topic but about dealing with trade, sanctions, etc. with China.

Exclusive: Biden to sign presidential order to bolster chip, battery and rare-earth industries

https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics/International-relations/US-and-allies-to-build-China-free-tech-supply-chain

this makes me so very happy. Canada can be a huge part of this. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

this is an unjustifiable opinion. And completely ignoring the Canadian quality of life. 

Not ignoring anything. Canadians quality of life is based in Canadians, not the politicians who leech off them. 

Look no further than Trudeau's family enrichment, Politicians traveling during a pandemic and on and on. Every party, every time. 

We make this country what it is, not politicians. 

13 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Isn't this the direction Trump was taking?