The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tories Motion to Declare China's Action Against Uighurs as Genocide Passes 266-0, 72 Abstained (Cowards)

7 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I'd argue it's not via voting. Why? Because most people who vote don't educate themselves on their options. They just vote for who they've voted for "the past 20, 30, 50 years". 

Again, proves it isn't working. 

People don't care because they expect politicians to be held to a higher standard and they aren't. In fact, it's free passes on near criminal activity.

I vote. Politicians are disgusting no matter how genuine they pretend to be. It's a free ride for nearly 100% of them. 

Just get elected to enjoy the perks. Say what you need to say to get there. Do the bare minimum once you're there so the bar never gets raised. 

Pander, pander, pander. 

Just now, GetFocht said:

People don't care because they expect politicians to be held to a higher standard and they aren't. In fact, it's free passes on near criminal activity.

I vote. Politicians are disgusting no matter how genuine they pretend to be. It's a free ride for nearly 100% of them. 

Just get elected to enjoy the perks. Say what you need to say to get there. Do the bare minimum once you're there so the bar never gets raised. 

Pander, pander, pander. 

Except it would work if people cared more. Actually, not just care more, but be vocal about it. Right now people just go about their lives not really caring about politics. It effectively leaves a blind eye for the politicians to do whatever often enough.

We're lucky here in Canada that at least politicians can't get away with, for example, going to Hawaii during a pandemic. Whereas in the states, look at Cancun Cruz, who went away during a pandemic, but he's being criticized for leaving Texas during a natural disaster. Would he have received as much criticism if at all if there was no disaster? Probably not.

But, ultimately, if you want your representative here to be responsible, you have to be vocal about it. If you just complain about it on a Canucks forum and not take any more action beyond that, that's the problem right then and there. Empty complaints at that point. Yet, you complaining here is far more than what most do. That's the problem ;) If we don't hold our politicians accountable, then they'll just get away with whatever.

There can be a better world of politicians. You're right that the voting system isn't working, but it's not because of the voting system itself. It's because of the lack of caring by the people.

9 minutes ago, GetFocht said:

Pander, pander, pander. 

There is certainly lots of evidence to back you up on this but try to keep in mind that there are still some good people in politics. It’s our job to find them and get out and support them. Call out their bs no matter what party label they wear. Force your party of choice to select decent candidates and hold them accountable. I agree it’s a really tough task but we can’t give up. 

Kind of like being Canuck fans.

• Hydration 1
13 minutes ago, GetFocht said:

Pander, pander, pander. 

do you like healthcare? a functional policing system? roads? EI? 

• Vintage 1
6 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

There is certainly lots of evidence to back you up on this but try to keep in mind that there are still some good people in politics. It’s our job to find them and get out and support them. Call out their bs no matter what party label they wear. Force your party of choice to select decent candidates and hold them accountable. I agree it’s a really tough task but we can’t give up. 

Kind of like being Canuck fans.

I just want to say that's actually a really good point. Things are crazy in the Canucks section of the forum and it makes sense why. While I think some of them are extreme and not really logically sound, perhaps a little too quick to react as well, I still get why people are out in full force condemning Benning and Green. We're in a rut in the standings and they have every right to call things out.

If we actually saw that happening in politics, it would be a much different world. Acquillini owns the team. He doesn't have to listen to anyone (unless if he's losing that much money from it). We don't elect Acquillini but we do elect politicians. If we collectively had the same heart towards politics as we did sports, I bet the difference would almost feel unfathomably weird in how much more we'd be listened to.

Edited by The Lock
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Except it would work if people cared more. Actually, not just care more, but be vocal about it. Right now people just go about their lives not really caring about politics. It effectively leaves a blind eye for the politicians to do whatever often enough.

We're lucky here in Canada that at least politicians can't get away with, for example, going to Hawaii during a pandemic. Whereas in the states, look at Cancun Cruz, who went away during a pandemic, but he's being criticized for leaving Texas during a natural disaster. Would he have received as much criticism if at all if there was no disaster? Probably not.

But, ultimately, if you want your representative here to be responsible, you have to be vocal about it. If you just complain about it on a Canucks forum and not take any more action beyond that, that's the problem right then and there. Empty complaints at that point. Yet, you complaining here is far more than what most do. That's the problem ;) If we don't hold our politicians accountable, then they'll just get away with whatever.

There can be a better world of politicians. You're right that the voting system isn't working, but it's not because of the voting system itself. It's because of the lack of caring by the people.

The lack of caring is a result of decades of the same garbage tossed back and forth and realizing your vote accomplishes nothing. 

They platform, get elected and then do the bare minimum. People don't have time to care, they're barely struggling to survive which seems is exactly how politicians want it. 

Need more proof. Look at the NDP and ICBC decision today. 

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

do you like healthcare? a functional policing system? roads? EI? 

None of these were created by the politicians. Not one. In spite of would be more accurate. Look at the vaccine roll out. They can't even get out of their own way to save lives. 

1 minute ago, GetFocht said:

None of these were created by the politicians. Not one. In spite of would be more accurate. Look at the vaccine roll out. They can't even get out of their own way to save lives. 

well, it wasn't elves. 

10 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I just want to say that's actually a really good point. Things are crazy in the Canucks section of the forum and it makes sense why. While I think some of them are extreme and not really logically sound, perhaps a little too quick to react as well, I still get why people are out in full force condemning Benning and Green. We're in a rut in the standings and they have every right to call things out.

If we actually saw that happening in politics, it would be a much different world. Acquillini owns the team. He doesn't have to listen to anyone (unless if he's losing that much money from it). We don't elect Acquillini but we do elect politicians. If we collectively had the same heart towards politics as we did sports, I bet the difference would almost feel unfathomably weird in how much more we'd be listened to.

But we pay to watch the show, and when it's the only show, you pay to watch (ICBC). If the product is bad, you still pay. Maybe you watch a junior game or two, but you still pay. 

When the policy is bad for 7 years, you still pay. Maybe the coach or players change, but the outcome is the sub par.

Why? Those at the top don't care about you or I. They pretend they do. 

Just now, GetFocht said:

The lack of caring is a result of decades of the same garbage tossed back and forth and realizing your vote accomplishes nothing. 

They platform, get elected and then do the bare minimum. People don't have time to care, they're barely struggling to survive which seems is exactly how politicians want it. 

Need more proof. Look at the NDP and ICBC decision today. 

Well, if people don't have time to care, they perhaps it's an issue that will never fully get solved.

Although, let me ask you this: if you care about something, do you have the time to care about it? How much time have you spent with our own conversation here?

So perhaps then, people do have the time to care about it.... if they care about it. Perhaps then, time's not the factor. Perhaps people will put in the time no matter how busy they are if you can give them that little bit of hope. ;)

3 minutes ago, GetFocht said:

But we pay to watch the show, and when it's the only show, you pay to watch (ICBC). If the product is bad, you still pay. Maybe you watch a junior game or two, but you still pay. 

When the policy is bad for 7 years, you still pay. Maybe the coach or players change, but the outcome is the sub par.

Why? Those at the top don't care about you or I. They pretend they do. 

We pay to watch the show, sure, but unless if literally everyone's upset with how the team's being run, Acquillini's still going to make money off of us if enough people go to the games or buy memorabilia or whatever. Even if we don't, Acquillini could just move the team to another city and make money there or even just sell the team. While we are the consumer of the product on the ice, Acquillini's the consumer of the franchise itself. Let's not forget that there's more levels of consumerism here than just us.

Yet, if people treated the whole ICBC thing (just as an example) like they did the Canucks, we have the ability to vote them out collectively. We literally have the power to finish the political careers of people. We don't have the power to finish Acquillini's career as owner of the team as much as we'd like to believe it due to "customer's always right" or whatever nonsense we tell ourselves with that. ;)

4 minutes ago, The Lock said:

We pay to watch the show, sure, but unless if literally everyone's upset with how the team's being run, Acquillini's still going to make money off of us if enough people go to the games or buy memorabilia or whatever. Even if we don't, Acquillini could just move the team to another city and make money there or even just sell the team. While we are the consumer of the product on the ice, Acquillini's the consumer of the franchise itself. Let's not forget that there's more levels of consumerism here than just us.

Yet, if people treated the whole ICBC thing (just as an example) like they did the Canucks, we have the ability to vote them out collectively. We literally have the power to finish the political careers of people. We don't have the power to finish Acquillini's career as owner of the team as much as we'd like to believe it due to "customer's always right" or whatever nonsense we tell ourselves with that. ;)

The new owners take over the set of keys and make personal changes. Nothing to satisfy us. 

16 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Well, if people don't have time to care, they perhaps it's an issue that will never fully get solved.

Although, let me ask you this: if you care about something, do you have the time to care about it? How much time have you spent with our own conversation here?

So perhaps then, people do have the time to care about it.... if they care about it. Perhaps then, time's not the factor. Perhaps people will put in the time no matter how busy they are if you can give them that little bit of hope. ;)

I am fortunate and blessed. Many people are not. The people they may elect in feed them a wheel barrow full of lies every election cycle. 

Look at the US, Biden was going to have stimulus go out day 1 with an EO. I have family there on their last legs, nothing yet. 

Politicians are garbage. I'm out. 

Just now, GetFocht said:

The new owners take over the set of keys and make personal changes. Nothing to satisfy us. 

Yeah, exactly (assuming you're talking about Acquillini). And it doesn't matter if we all voice our opinion.

Which is different if we do the exact same thing with politics. If enough of us hate what's being done, they're out and another party is in. This means that we CAN make it so the politicians work for our best interest, which then of course goes back to the whole caring argument I was pointing out earlier. :)

2 minutes ago, GetFocht said:

I am fortunate and blessed. Many people are not. The people they may elect in feed them a wheel barrow full of lies every election cycle. 

Look at the US, Biden was going to have stimulus go out day 1 with an EO. I have family there on their last legs, nothing yet. 

Politicians are garbage. I'm out. 

Well Biden I don't look at in the best light and I agree that they promised the $2000 stimulus checks, especially when pushing to get the Georgia senate seats, and then they didn't follow up on it.

But I also think the states are in a tough spot right now. They have 2 right wing parties effectively when they really could use a more progressive party right now which would actually help your relatives out. Sucks to hear about your relatives.

1 hour ago, GetFocht said:

So you believe our currently elected officials care what you/we think and want and have our best interests at heart? 

Some of them? Certainly.

All of them? No.