The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tories Motion to Declare China's Action Against Uighurs as Genocide Passes 266-0, 72 Abstained (Cowards)

DonLever

10 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I just want to say that's actually a really good point. Things are crazy in the Canucks section of the forum and it makes sense why. While I think some of them are extreme and not really logically sound, perhaps a little too quick to react as well, I still get why people are out in full force condemning Benning and Green. We're in a rut in the standings and they have every right to call things out.

If we actually saw that happening in politics, it would be a much different world. Acquillini owns the team. He doesn't have to listen to anyone (unless if he's losing that much money from it). We don't elect Acquillini but we do elect politicians. If we collectively had the same heart towards politics as we did sports, I bet the difference would almost feel unfathomably weird in how much more we'd be listened to.

But we pay to watch the show, and when it's the only show, you pay to watch (ICBC). If the product is bad, you still pay. Maybe you watch a junior game or two, but you still pay. 

When the policy is bad for 7 years, you still pay. Maybe the coach or players change, but the outcome is the sub par.

Why? Those at the top don't care about you or I. They pretend they do. 

Just now, GetFocht said:

The lack of caring is a result of decades of the same garbage tossed back and forth and realizing your vote accomplishes nothing. 

They platform, get elected and then do the bare minimum. People don't have time to care, they're barely struggling to survive which seems is exactly how politicians want it. 

Need more proof. Look at the NDP and ICBC decision today. 

Well, if people don't have time to care, they perhaps it's an issue that will never fully get solved.

Although, let me ask you this: if you care about something, do you have the time to care about it? How much time have you spent with our own conversation here?

So perhaps then, people do have the time to care about it.... if they care about it. Perhaps then, time's not the factor. Perhaps people will put in the time no matter how busy they are if you can give them that little bit of hope. ;)

3 minutes ago, GetFocht said:

But we pay to watch the show, and when it's the only show, you pay to watch (ICBC). If the product is bad, you still pay. Maybe you watch a junior game or two, but you still pay. 

When the policy is bad for 7 years, you still pay. Maybe the coach or players change, but the outcome is the sub par.

Why? Those at the top don't care about you or I. They pretend they do. 

We pay to watch the show, sure, but unless if literally everyone's upset with how the team's being run, Acquillini's still going to make money off of us if enough people go to the games or buy memorabilia or whatever. Even if we don't, Acquillini could just move the team to another city and make money there or even just sell the team. While we are the consumer of the product on the ice, Acquillini's the consumer of the franchise itself. Let's not forget that there's more levels of consumerism here than just us.

Yet, if people treated the whole ICBC thing (just as an example) like they did the Canucks, we have the ability to vote them out collectively. We literally have the power to finish the political careers of people. We don't have the power to finish Acquillini's career as owner of the team as much as we'd like to believe it due to "customer's always right" or whatever nonsense we tell ourselves with that. ;)

4 minutes ago, The Lock said:

We pay to watch the show, sure, but unless if literally everyone's upset with how the team's being run, Acquillini's still going to make money off of us if enough people go to the games or buy memorabilia or whatever. Even if we don't, Acquillini could just move the team to another city and make money there or even just sell the team. While we are the consumer of the product on the ice, Acquillini's the consumer of the franchise itself. Let's not forget that there's more levels of consumerism here than just us.

Yet, if people treated the whole ICBC thing (just as an example) like they did the Canucks, we have the ability to vote them out collectively. We literally have the power to finish the political careers of people. We don't have the power to finish Acquillini's career as owner of the team as much as we'd like to believe it due to "customer's always right" or whatever nonsense we tell ourselves with that. ;)

The new owners take over the set of keys and make personal changes. Nothing to satisfy us. 

16 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Well, if people don't have time to care, they perhaps it's an issue that will never fully get solved.

Although, let me ask you this: if you care about something, do you have the time to care about it? How much time have you spent with our own conversation here?

So perhaps then, people do have the time to care about it.... if they care about it. Perhaps then, time's not the factor. Perhaps people will put in the time no matter how busy they are if you can give them that little bit of hope. ;)

I am fortunate and blessed. Many people are not. The people they may elect in feed them a wheel barrow full of lies every election cycle. 

Look at the US, Biden was going to have stimulus go out day 1 with an EO. I have family there on their last legs, nothing yet. 

Politicians are garbage. I'm out. 

Just now, GetFocht said:

The new owners take over the set of keys and make personal changes. Nothing to satisfy us. 

Yeah, exactly (assuming you're talking about Acquillini). And it doesn't matter if we all voice our opinion.

Which is different if we do the exact same thing with politics. If enough of us hate what's being done, they're out and another party is in. This means that we CAN make it so the politicians work for our best interest, which then of course goes back to the whole caring argument I was pointing out earlier. :)

2 minutes ago, GetFocht said:

I am fortunate and blessed. Many people are not. The people they may elect in feed them a wheel barrow full of lies every election cycle. 

Look at the US, Biden was going to have stimulus go out day 1 with an EO. I have family there on their last legs, nothing yet. 

Politicians are garbage. I'm out. 

Well Biden I don't look at in the best light and I agree that they promised the $2000 stimulus checks, especially when pushing to get the Georgia senate seats, and then they didn't follow up on it.

But I also think the states are in a tough spot right now. They have 2 right wing parties effectively when they really could use a more progressive party right now which would actually help your relatives out. Sucks to hear about your relatives.

18 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

buddy wants to have an extreme opinion, its not grounded in reality but it feels good. 

I've made this point many times before: The whole, "All politicians are bad/liars", etc. is just lazy.

Almost nothing is an absolute.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, gurn said:

Tommy Douglas says WTF are you talking about?

Our medical system is propped up by tax dollars, some of the highest in the world. Something like 70% of our taxes go to pay for it. We lose our doctors to other countries and wait lines are the longest in the world. 

Also, if you think Douglas was a good politician, you must be a racist. 

Our medical system is propped up by tax dollars, some of the highest in the world. Something like 70% of our taxes go to pay for it. We lose our doctors to other countries and wait lines are the longest in the world. 

the loud house nick GIF by Nickelodeon

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, GetFocht said:

I don't think that's a result of poor intentions by a politician though.

Oh, another goal post mover.

you said "None of these were created by the politicians."

I said Tommy Douglass, now you want to add stuff that had nothing to do with your statement.?

Just admit you were wrong, take the loss with a bit of grace.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

I don't think that's a result of poor intentions by a politician though.

Tommy had some, lets say, funky, ideas on eugenics. But he did help lead Canada into socialized medicine, at least the SK part. 

These kinds of 'us vs them' fake arguments are what places like China love about us, as long as we tear at each other we won't be working on getting off Chinese manufacturing dependence. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, GetFocht said:

I would rather have it being subsided by tax dollars than having to pay 10k for a covid bill.. 

Look at what is happening in the USA. 

We live in a society not a dictatorship. 

Tax dollars are supposed to benefit all. 

Edited by drummer4now