The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | February 23, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN

Rate this topic

-SN-

5 minutes ago, Wilfred said:

Just absolutely pathetic. Players don't seem to care at all. Stop playing after a 3-0 lead. Just like they stopped playing after those games with a 2-0 lead. Such trash. 

The first line seriously just needs to be broken up. For a LONG time. The amount of times they have the puck in the offensive zone and just turn it over because they aren't even close to being on the same page is absurd. Constantly have possession only to skate it into each other and lose all space and lose the battle. 

PP still accomplishes nothing. Putrid goaltending changing the dynamic of the game. Pretty big difference going into the second when it's 3-1 vs 3-0, especially when it's a late goal. Seriously. That shot had NOTHING on it. Pure fluffball. Just like this entire season in most games, we cannot get a save. Of course naturally complete lack of effort and battle in the second and third to complete the collapse. 

Just feeling apathetic towards the players on this team. 

So let me get this straight.

a) Players are absolutely pathetic and don't care despite scoring 3 goals

b) Top line is trash despite Petey managing to get second star with 2 points

c) Canucks constantly have possession, but they lose the puck because they suck and don't care.

d) Goaltending is the reason we lost, even though it's the other players that suck and don't care.

f) Again, complete lack of efford in the second, despite being up 3-1 in the third.

Just trying to understand why they didn't win and you seem to have all the answers. Thanks.

• Like 1

Just now, FlyLow_ said:

It would be so Canucks to get 1st overall in a year you can't even scout players.

The Sedins were essentially 1st & 2nd overall that year (in terms of rated prospects).  Atlanta just wanted the "PR" of stating they just drafted the 1st overall player (eg., expansion club).  Burkie was great in that deal he worked out.

• Cheers 1

Is Marky’s stick work and break out passing really that much better than Demer’s or Holtby’s?

Does losing one or two defensemen (Tanev & Stecher) really make all that much of a difference to the team’s chemistry & quality of break-out passing?

Benning took an up-start team & blew up their core components early. He should have found a way to hold onto the strongest anchors on their back-end & brightest offensive spark-plug upfront.   

He’s been a decent scout but a failure at contracts, deal-making & trades. Demote him or fire him. Bring in someone better, old or new. 

Edited by viking mama

1 minute ago, High and Inside said:

I still think this team has more of a personel issue then a coaching problem.  Our bottom 6 is slow and aged out and there is too much pressure on the lotto line to carry this team every night offensively. Our pairings on D aren’t much better. 

This is not a team that should be blowing 3-0 leads.

This coaching staff not knowing how to utilize the players in front of him is the real issue.

Youre letting him off the hook way too easily if you think it’s our bottom 6 that’s the problem. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, b3. said:

And you probably dip your pizza in ketchup.

Yeah - I may love Cheech - but even I would never dip my pizza in ketchup.

Good hockey talk, though.

I'd prefer you answered the question about Horvat and no leadership  = the possibility of actual discussion there.

Edited by oldnews

3 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

The Hockey Gaud has become a joke. 

Works his tail off and gets 2-3 good chances a night. I'd put him up in top 6, personally. Pearson keeps getting a free pass basically doing nothing. Miller could use a demotion after like 20 games of multiple BRUTAL giveaways. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

It’s frustrating listening to the players in the post game talk about what needs to be done to turn the corner but talk is cheap. It’s fine and dandy to come out flying in the 1st and get a couple goals but you don’t win games in the 1st period. Sustained effort for an entire game and not being able to simplify things are killing this club. I’ve never seen a team struggle so hard to clear the zone. It’s looks like a fire drill. Also, a slight change in momentum in the other teams favour and they deflate. They look demoralized if they give up a goal instead of putting it behind them and moving forwards. This team doesn’t believe in themselves to dig themselves out of a hole like they did last year when we saw a lot of come from behind wins late in the game. As frustrating a team I’ve watched in a long time. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Maginator said:

@b3. , I totally agree with the lack of leadership.

I'm not mad at Marky and Tanev leaving at all, but those two were locker room pillars.

Like seriously, who do we have now that is mentoring our young stars? JT Miller? His on ice laziness and temper tantrums aren't very attractive to the young guys, especially Brock, Petey, and Hughes.

All of our other vets aren't good enough (Benn, Rous, Beags, Sutter), are too new to form meaningful bonds (Schmidt), or are too young (Horvat).

Who do we have taking these guys under their wing on and off the ice? No one.

To further prove your point... why is there no pushback? Why are we seeing the same result of leading hockey games yet coming out with the L? 

The answer is there is NO ONE HOLDING THE YOUNG GUYS ACCOUNTABLE at the end of the day. That's why were seeing the same mistakes repeated game in game out, over and over again.

I truly believe leadership is the issue.

Also, flame away but I think Bo was forced into the Captaincy a little too early. The fanbase wanted another Trevor Linden and thrusted that label on him.

Agree.  Bo wasn’t  ready. 

TBH, he never led a team before and he doesn’t know what he needs to do to help the team when it’s struggling. 

should have gone with three assistant captains. 

• Vintage 1

I have no words of inspiration

But I do have a question or 2 - what's the scoop on Miller? Is his family in Van? Is he living with Jordie?  He's not the same player we saw last year.

Wondering if he has personal issues that are affecting his game - then again I guess that isn't  anyones business but his.