The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | February 23, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN

Rate this topic

-SN-

19 minutes ago, oldnews said:

? The lotto line hasn't been carrying anything,  Neither has Horvat's.

The bottom six have done their job far better than the top 6 this season. 

Offensively the bottom 6 have done squat beside Motte and Sutter and the latter had 3 in 1 game.

Rousell-1 goal
Beagle-1 goal

Gaudette- 2 goals

Jake - 1 goal
Macewen- 1 goal

Boeser EP and Bo are all

on pace for over 25 goals on a 82 game season. Miller has been disappointing this year however.  

I think for the most part the top line has been pretty good. We’re paying the price big time for the bad contracts handed out to Beagle Roussel Sutter Myers etc. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JoshuaGuy said:

The consistently stupid plays, like sending it back down low in your own zone, under pressure no less, that make me think they're being told to do these things. Ozone is always skate into corner, pass back to point, like 90% of the time. No more creative ozone time to be seen. Ring it around the boards everywhere to a surprised player and by the time he gets control he's fully covered. Its the same every game. 

Seriously. The either passing or skating the puck backwards into our zone after already having to play defense....it's always untimely. Always into more pressure. I can just see it happening in my head. Frustrated just thinking about it. Also relevant to that is how often the players just throw the puck away under no pressure. It's infuriating. Happens so much every single game. I cannot wrap my head around it. 

• Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Does our AGM, have any value and what is his level of  involvement when it comes to trade & FA ?

Weisbrod is a complete idiot I seriously don’t know why he is here aside from being jimbos boy. Gear is supposedly in charge of cap and what not but he is a recent promotee so he gets slack . This debacle is all on jimbo. 

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

We are literally in the basement based on point% with Detroit. We are at 2016/2017 level bad.

Keep in mind, we are playing in a pathetic division and get slapped by mediocre teams (tor/Mtl). Just imagine if there was no restrictions and they were playing real teams... the bruins/Tampa/Vegas etc

7 minutes ago, Dogcrazy said:

No matter what, he is not giving the media anything.  Downplaying everything and showing everyone that he is keeping his emotion in check is what Green does, this is just him.  

Team is 8 - 13 - 2.  What the heck are you talking about?

19 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

This is ridiculous. Linden was a legendary Canuck but let's bring him down off the goddamn pedestal. Seriously, comparing Bo to Linden in order to bash Bo is a disservice to both players. Like, what the hell do you expect him to say after a string of losses like this? It doesn't matter what he says after a loss, there will always be fans prepared to jump on his back and plunge a knife in. 

Pretty much. Fans dug on Henrik and Naslund too, and they're two of our greatest ever. It's gross. Hell, I imagine we had funs dumping on Linden back in the day too, it's a shame there weren't message boards to document some of that $&!# because I'd love to pull posts up. 

ya sorry a captain is accountable and he looks disinterested and mails it in sorry but   thats the reality 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I’m guessing Brock is one he is including in this.

Other note:

I love Eagle, but man does he have a knack for taking back breaking penalties as well.

The tough thing is that Eagle is arguably being deployed a bit more than you’d want at his age. I would like to see OJ and even own goal Schmidty progress to wards getting more of his minutes. Have to do it eventually.

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, oldnews said:

it's easy to say - but there are very, very few deals being made  -and as the deadline approaches, teams get injuries, etc and/or have a better idea of both their chances and their team needs.

I disagree that any return is going to necessarily decrease over time - we don't know that - the opposite could also be true.

the real incentive for selling Pearson now imo is not the return, it's the cap savings that can be banked to do away with ELC bonus cap up front the season.

Pearson is only 250K above Ferland and they might have to retain given how teams are in a cap crunch.  It might not be possible to take Ferland off LTIR and Motte’s status is unclear.  Can’t bank cap space when using LTIR.

I'm expecting this young team to be inconsistent.  

(And gassed.)

7 of 12 forwards are 25 and under.

A rookie and sophomore D.

A rookie/sophomore tweener goaltender...

Still - would increase the risk of 'stepping back' a bit more - by trying to move veteran wingers.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Teams seems to be had figured something out when we are exiting our zone and the result also mainly depends on the d pairing.  The staff doesnt seem to know how to make period to period adjustments; I wonder how the pep talk was for each intermission for this game:

1st - great job

2nd - they're a good team and great effort.

Bottom line (for me): despite all the drama in tonights game, Demmer has to play better and if he is struggling the staff just needs to let him play himself out of it cause this goalie carousel doesnt seem to be helping him to focus...

I agree. I would give Demko the keys. He’s gotta be the guy in order for us to have success in the future. Let him run with it. Take the good with the bad. He’s super talented, Ian and Thacher will figure it out. That’s gotta be the mindset cause In a non covid season we gotta get 50-60 starts outta the guy 

Sutter has 6 goals and could probably fetch us a mid to late round pick.

Benn would be a good depth defenceman on a contender - late pick

Edler to a contender for a 2nd rounder.

Virtanen for whatever.

Package Gaudette with Roussel to get rid of Roussel's contract.

shop Miller at the TD or in the draft. 

I want us to make bold moves the rest of the season. Give the young guys a chance.

Michaelis, Lind, Hawryluk etc. 

2 minutes ago, High and Inside said:

Offensively the bottom 6 have done squat beside Motte and Sutter and the latter had 3 in 1 game.

Rousell-1 goal
Beagle-1 goal

Gaudette- 2 goals

Jake - 1 goal
Macewen- 1 goal

Boeser EP and Bo are all

on pace for over 25 goals on a 82 game season. Miller has been disappointing this year however.  

I think for the most part the top line has been pretty good. We’re paying the price big time for the bad contracts handed out to Beagle Roussel Sutter Myers etc. 

if we didn't have Beagle , our 4th line would suffer in faceoffs and penalty kill

• Cheers 1

Just now, canuktravella said:

ya sorry a captain is accountable and he looks disinterested and mails it in sorry but   thats the reality 

Captain has to appear to walk the line and not say anything to undercut the inept coach when the rest of the team has given up on Green.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Weisbrod is a complete idiot I seriously don’t know why he is here aside from being jimbos boy. Gear is supposedly in charge of cap and what not but he is a recent promotee so he gets slack . This debacle is all on jimbo. 

We dont know the office politics here but Weisbrod seem like he is gunning for the GM spot - conspiracy but Aquaman needs to hire a Team president before doing any major changes this off season - imo