The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | February 23, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Gallant seems to emphasize rolling four lines

When you coach a legit NHL team, not like this one.

2 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Gallant seems to emphasize rolling four lines

Generally speaking, because of management decisions we are forced put all of our eggs in one basket.  Makes it too easy.

1 minute ago, BobSacamano said:

I’m a huge Bo fan but I’m not sure what he means when he says “we need to mature as a group” ... It’s not “maturing” it’s getting back to having fun and playing with confidence. Coincidentally those often go hand in hand. 

This team seems down and yes, losing doesn’t help but they’re making way too many mistakes. Calm down, reset, get back to basics and have fun while doing it. If Green’s eeyore persona is any indication of his temperament in the room then it’s no wonder the team as a whole is off... 

The players (at this point) are probably expecting some changes to happen and the roster will be re vamp once again for next year.   

• Hydration 1
Just now, billabong said:

Miller is a part of the solution, not the problem.

He’s been a lil grump this year for whatever reason but we need him 

strip it down around the core and re tool in the offseason

Pearson, virtanen, gaudette, benn and sutter are our 5 main trade chips. I’d be happy with 3/5 moved for anything

in a Covid world only teams who are hell bent on winning are gonna take on extra money so the demand might be low so adjust your expectations

Lol. I love that, Lil Grump. 

55 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Why bother. We ain't making the playoffs either way.

Go full tank.

The Canucks are pathetic especially when two Oiler players can destroy them at any given time especially if they have a penalty against them. After the last two years of playing the oilers and losing, Travis Green hasn't figured it out yet. It's time Management got rid of him. Don't they ever review the videos of the previous games. Don't they have any knowledge on how to strategize. Guess not. don't they ever get embarrassed by playing so stupidly. The Oilers play the same pattern every game, there is never any deviation and all the other dumb teams do the same thing on penalty kills, run around like chickens with their heads cut off,really,pathetic. Hockey players are not known for their high IQ's. in most cases.The players need to take some ownership in these situations, it's not always the coaches' fault. The problem is you can always fire the coach but you cannot fire the players. where the real problem is.. Does Green not know how to teach his players to be aggressive on the penalty kill . If the stick in hand is 6 feet long, why are the players standing twenty feet away from the player with the puck. and swinging his stick back and forth. Why don't they all have twenty foot long sticks so they can maybe get the puck away from the attacker Better still get closer to the attacker with the puck, that's called aggressive. If he is near the boards, then pin him without taking another penalty. It looks like the oilers play to a plan, because it is constant, game in and game out and it works every time so that means the other teams have not figured it out yet Maybe the team sees nothing when they watch replays or videos of previous games.because it appears in every game after a blood bath, that they have not learned from their previous mistakes because they do it all over again and again Some have a lot in common,with each other, that is why they are called losers. It's a shame that they are paid so much for doing so little. as playing hockey at a high tempo every. night The Oilers are smart when they are in the opponents end, they always get near the boards so the other team will take a penalty, and it works most of the time. because the opposition will always either hold or trip or slash rather than use his body to pin the opponent up against the boards to prevent a pass or movement of the player. It's hard to score when you are in a scrum and you don't have to take a penalty. Sometimes you need to use stronger players on the ice  during a penalty kill. Chickens running around with their heads cut off will always get you into trouble. It's not very enjoyable sitting there and watching a hockey game and you are able to predict exactly every time without error when the Oilers are going to score a goal. Maybe Travis Green should watch a few games from the stands, he might see what the fans see all the time. Thanks from the living room coach, until next time.

5 minutes ago, The Colt 45s said:

Generally speaking, because of management decisions we are forced put all of our eggs in one basket.  Makes it too easy.

Gallant made it work with a bunch of cast off in Vegas - is it the roster or the system.  My main points with rolling four line (despite the talent level) is that, it keeps the players fresher and more so, it keeps the whole roster much more engage in the game...  

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Hydration 1
9 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah, I would also like to see a different coaching staff have a chance with our young core but Aquaman needs to find a team President (first) that can work with JB.

Wouldn’t be a bad idea. These next 2 years we really need to seize our opportunity with the cap. This is our window to build a great team. The cores there and I thank JB and Company for that. The core is also growing and we still need to surround them but it’s gotta be done the right way 

14 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Edler has historically been unwilling to waive, his family and life are all based in Vancouver 

Don't see why he'd change his mind at this point in his career, I think he'd sooner retire than play anywhere else 

well that seems like Jimmers next bungle gift wrapped for him

3 minutes ago, billabong said:

Miller is a part of the solution, not the problem.

He’s been a lil grump this year for whatever reason but we need him 

strip it down around the core and re tool in the offseason

Pearson, virtanen, gaudette, benn and sutter are our 5 main trade chips. I’d be happy with 3/5 moved for anything

in a Covid world only teams who are hell bent on winning are gonna take on extra money so the demand might be low so adjust your expectations

You’re definitely on the right path, I just don’t have faith in decision makers to do this.

It worked well with Vanek, believe his departure acquired us Motte.

• Hydration 1
1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I'll predict Green is gone after that debacle.

Not going to happen. Green and Aquaman are besties. He's probably inking his signature on the new 10 year contract right now. Mumbling "theyre a good team over there, we're trending in the right direction, I liked our first period, we had some good looks, we just didn't get the bounces, thats how it goes sometimes."

• Hydration 1

I can't read much more of this...........Geez

It is not that I don't agree with you all, but man!

Aqualini has to get a handle on this. It starts at the top

and if he can be bambozzled by Benning, then nothing changes

He has to start by getting a president of Hockey Operations

Someone over Benning so he can get an honest answer

The question is......how many years until we have the personnel to compete?

The next question to the new President, is what do we do, going forward?

3rd question is. Is Jim Benning the guy to take us there?

4th question is. Is Travis Green the right coach?

5th Are the assistant coaches good enough to support Green?

But, I will say this.............let this season play out

Move Pearson at the TDL at 50%................get's us a late 2nd

Move Hamonic at the TDL at 50%................get's us a 4th

Move Benn at the TDL at 50%......................get's us a 3rd

No moves until the summer except for the TDL.......but get the President of hockey Ops now.

None will be here after the summer, and we are not making the playoffs

12 minutes ago, lmm said:

I see it as lack of leadership from the top down

Aqua likes maliable GMs

Benning seems to prefer scorers to Defensemen, and makes lots of mistakes that cause hard feelings

Green wants right shots on the right and left shots on the left, also perfers scorers to hitters or defenders, 

Bo doesn't hit or defend (the net or his teammates)

This hits the nail on the head.

Benning has used his picks and trades to acquire offensive talent... even Hughes as a D-Man was picked for his offensive ability.

With the exception of Myers, there has been very little effort put into acquiring really big solid 3/4/5/6 position D-Men... Benning has scraped around the bottom of the barrel instead to pick up guys like Hamonic and Benn.

He lucked into Tryamkin... and should have jumped all over him to make sure he stayed... or re-signed him... instead the team is left with what it has... a bunch of #6/7's.

Look at Winnipeg... their D Roster has always been a strong point... even with getting rid of Trouba, Myers, etc. they still have a set of big talented guys back there.  Because they draft and trade that way.

D wins Cups.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*
  • Hydration 2
15 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Edler has historically been unwilling to waive, his family and life are all based in Vancouver 

Don't see why he'd change his mind at this point in his career, I think he'd sooner retire than play anywhere else 

He will sign but (imo) JB needs to offer him one year take it or leave contract; he just seems slow & tired at this point in his career (Schmidt can probably put a better context on this fact cause his partner last year was Theodore and he was a very different player; although, he has been playing alot better lately).