The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | February 23, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN

Rate this topic

-SN-

13 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

I don't know why everyone is so upset, it's been obvious from the start of the season that this team is the second to worst team in the division. Every other team has a core that is in it's prime, while the Canucks core is a year or two away.  The bubble playoffs were an anomaly. Other teams had success finding some complimentary pieces, the Flames signing Marky and Tanev, Yamamoto with Edmonton, etc. The Canucks were hamstrung by the flat cap and bottom six contracts, but honestly the worst thing JB did during the offseason was spending too much time trying to find cap room for OEL. He has an awful contract, and I don't know why he would spend more than two minutes considering it. This team will be better next season, once Hogs, Olli, Demko, and Mac have a season under their belts, once Pods has arrived and gotten some seasoning. Maybe JB can get Tryamkin to come back to Vancouver, and once some of the big contracts are gone he'll have some cap space. Hopefully the Canucks get a good top five pick, maybe one who is NHL-ready. So relax, I'm confident the team will be considerably better next year. This wasn't our season and honestly I didn't want to win this season, because this is an asterisk year due to the shortened schedule.

Why hamstrung with NO superstars to big contracts like TO has? Every team is hamstrung

Silly excuse it is just us, without ss signed, we should have been in best position with flat cap

5 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Canucks could have signed him... you are forgetting the hometown discount... no one likes to move... and Calgary isn't exactly a destination.

That would be assuming the home town discount - but regardless, I agree - signing Tanev would have been my priority of the expiring contracts.

The one caveat being that the team has been leaving spots open - for Demko, for Hoglander, for Juolevi, and probably again for Podkolzin...they may not have a partner for Hughes in the system (maybe Tryamkin becomes that) but it would be nice to develop or find a young RHD that could grow alongside Hughes as a longer term future pairing.  Perhaps that was the thinking, particularly given having to move on from Markstrom - imo that had a bit of a domino effect, particularly under the larger circumstances.

27 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

He will sign but (imo) JB needs to offer him one year take it or leave contract; he just seems slow & tired at this point in his career (Schmidt can probably put a better context on this fact cause his partner last year was Theodore and he was a very different player; although, he has been playing alot better lately).

I figure he'll be back, but not at 6m. And yeah, one year deals are the way to go with him at this point.

He makes mistakes, takes penalties, ect. But he's still one of our best D and he plays some of the heavier minutes and takes some of the harder assignments at going on age 35. Some folks really undervalue what he brings to this club.

Though I understand the frustration that comes with mistakes, but all of our players make mistakes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I'm not sure what the 'Hamhuis experience' was aside from being reluctant to be rented and then lowballed to hell because it was relatively known he had a list as small or smaller than Kesler's.  

Do you think we should have re-signed Tanev?  Renting him obviously wasn't an option / not a parallel to the Hamhuis situation...

as I recall Hamhius haad a NTC and Jim engineered atrde then tried to get Hamhius on board very late near the deadline. Hamhius balked and the relationship soured from there.

Maybe Idon't pay enough attention to other teams in the league, but it seems to me Jim has a fairly long list of disgruntled/mishandled players and staff

the irony for me is, when Jim inherited a problem Kesler, he dealt with that quickly, so I had high hopes... since then his record is not so good

11 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

ya captains get held accountable its just the way it is  anyone not named petey or hoglander  tonight should be bag skated til they puke 

And I think it's toxic af, we're not going to agree on this point. 

I don't see punishing our guys as being an effective tool at this point, they're already plenty demoralized as is. If losing takes a toll on us as fans it's worse for players. Bottom line is we need fresh coaching staff and systems, but we're unlikely to see that this season. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, lmm said:

well that seems like Jimmers next bungle gift wrapped for him

If that's how you see it, so be it. But that's not my take, I fully expect Edler to be re-signed to a one year deal. Two years max. 

Despite penalties and mistakes he's still one of our most effective D. At going on age 35 he still plays tough minutes and effectively takes on tough assignments, he's actually played really effective hockey into his 30's. No, he won't be back at 6m and I'm pretty sure he knows that, but he'll very likely be back. 

I for one don't have a problem with his loyalty, I respect that he wants to be here during our upswings and downswings. 

11 minutes ago, lmm said:

as I recall Hamhius haad a NTC and Jim engineered atrde then tried to get Hamhius on board very late near the deadline. Hamhius balked and the relationship soured from there.

Maybe Idon't pay enough attention to other teams in the league, but it seems to me Jim has a fairly long list of disgruntled/mishandled players and staff

the irony for me is, when Jim inherited a problem Kesler, he dealt with that quickly, so I had high hopes... since then his record is not so good

Jim biggest downfall is that he is a horrible communicator. He is known to be honest to a fault and would have rubbed some players the wrong way when sugarcoating was necessary.

Clear trend of things falling apart after Linden left who I guess would have had more communications with the players. 

18 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Most of our D have been pretty good defensively for the most part.

Ive had more issue with our forwards defensive play to be honest.

Green has had all season to figure it out and I don’t see them “trending in the right direction” like he claims.

I see a team that coughs up the puck every time they’re pressured.

Been saying this for a couple seasons now, the lack of puck pressure in the D zone is what's killing us.

This team scores goals in bunches with Green's counterpunch system, and I'm actually fine with it. We were top of the league GF last year, tons of positive metrics in that end of his skillset.

The team D system though, its flaccid.  Plugging up lanes and intercepting passes / shots = the system. That's it.

When they woke up vs Toronto on that crappy last road trip, for whatever reason, they were playing the body / at least taking the man when TO touched it in the D zone.

And then, we regress.