The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | February 23, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

I agree but the staff doesnt based on there game by game decision when it comes to who starts in net - the seems to like playing mind games with the players and it is not helping...

At this point it wont matter since we wont make the playoffs. Best to just let Demko play and maybe bring in Rathbone and rafferty to play D. Sit Benn and Edler so a couple of our prospects can get NHL experience. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 24K PureCool said:

What happened to no more rookies!

Nothing wrong with new blood.  Problem is, a management team full of rookies (guys new to their positions) is like a hockey roster full of skilled but raw talent.  What’s been lacking is an ‘old timer’ with lots of knowledge acting as a consultant of sorts.  A guy like Weisbrod isn’t that.  That guy is more like a politician imho.  Maybe oldnews should apply for a position in Canucks management?:P

"Very" disappointed with the result tonight - kind of summarizes the year - this team cannot play defense.  When opposing teams pressure their D, seems they run around a bit usually leading to a penalty. 

Should they make changes in the off-season, please also look at candidates from defensive minded teams (eg. Washington /Trotz system to get over the hump) - I really like the offensive pieces of this team from D to the forwards - put a STABLE defensive structure, would do wonders for this organization and I believe they would be in position 2-3 in this division.  The defensive structure has probably dropped the team 2 spots and out the playoffs this year. Once you don't need a goalie to stand on his head each night, you'll know you have the right defensive system.  GLTA

• Cheers 1

Really disappointed in Hughes on the second goal. Just stood there and watched while a man was right behind him.

He's had way too many defensive lapses this season that have nothing to do wit his size but everything to do with concentration and effort. I remember there was one post-game in his last season at Michigan where he stepped up in the locker room and took accountability for a loss to PSU. I want to see that same accountability show up in his play, because he plays right now as if he thinks defense is optional and that our struggles have nothing to do with him.

Edited by Grape
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Grape said:

Really disappointed in Hughes on the second goal. Just stood there and watched while a man was right behind him.

He's had way too many defensive lapses this season that have nothing to do wit his size but everything to do with concentration and effort. I remember there was one game in his last season at Michigan where he stepped up in the locker room and took accountability for a few losses. I want to see that same accountability show up in his play, because he plays right now as if he thinks defense is optional.

I think he'll be fine. There's a lot of wrong about this team. 

And two of our best players are only in their early twenties. The mental fragility of this team is for all to see. It's obvious that once they're down, they're done. 

I think he will eventually step up and take accountability. I'd like to see the veteran leadership do that to help the young guys in the locker room. This season gives me memories of what the Oilers have done the last decade. I hope we're not entering into Edmonton territory, because that would be such a terrible waste of Hughes and Pettersson's talents. 

9 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Nothing wrong with new blood.  Problem is, a management team full of rookies (guys new to their positions) is like a hockey roster full of skilled but raw talent.  What’s been lacking is an ‘old timer’ with lots of knowledge acting as a consultant of sorts.  A guy like Weisbrod isn’t that.  That guy is more like a politician imho.  Maybe oldnews should apply for a position in Canucks management?:P

I've never liked Weisbrod either personally. Why does nobody else like him? 

• Upvote 1

Blowing a 3-0 lead is on the coaching staff.  We even outshot Edmonton.  Instead of going for the kill and getting Smith pulled we let up on the gas pedal and got killed.

Big mistake to keep Green up to this point.  They should have fired him 7 games ago when we returned from that brutal road trip where we lost 5 in a row.  I thought Gallant was in quarantine in Vancouver and ready to go.  The season is shot now.  

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Blowing a 3-0 lead is on the coaching staff.  We even outshot Edmonton.  Instead of going for the kill and getting Smith pulled we let up on the gas pedal and got killed.

Big mistake to keep Green up to this point.  They should have fired him 7 games ago when we returned from that brutal road trip where we lost 5 in a row.  I thought Gallant was in quarantine in Vancouver and ready to go.  The season is shot now.  

And keeping Green this long is going to be Bennings undoing as well. I think Green was good in a bubble, and literally that has been it. Even Willie D was more effective at giving the team a pulse

Edited by DS4quality

3 hours ago, LeafsFanDan said:

I think none of us really knew how key goalies are to winning, now we all would be happy to pay top dollar for a goalie.. there is a reason why both Demko and Holtby were over 3.00 gaa last year and this year again..

If you look at how Marky Is doing in Calgary, you’d know this had nothing to do with goal tending...

3 hours ago, Darius said:

i dont doubt that.  at least the other team has a goalie that makes them just as nervous.  most nights we cant say that.

Demko will be a great goalie, Marky was unclaimed on waivers at Demkos age. Prime Carey Price would look horrible in front of our team right now.

48 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Why hamstrung with NO superstars to big contracts like TO has? Every team is hamstrung

Silly excuse it is just us, without ss signed, we should have been in best position with flat cap

Except we're paying the $3 million Luongo fine, $1 million for the Spooner buyout and $2.2 million for Baer. That's $6.2 million in unavailable cap space. JB didn't know if Ferland would be able to play, so he had to leave $3.5 million in cap space for his salary, and he also can't get rid of Loui's, contract, which at the time seemed like a decent signing and nobody could predict that his offense would disappear. Getting Schmidt was a great deal and long-term will look better and better. Getting Hamonic at a bargain basement price was also a great move, and it's just Canucks luck that he and Motte got hurt. Hamonic in for Benn and Motte in for Jake would make the team much better.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

And keeping Green this long is going to be Bennings undoing as well. I think Green was good in a bubble, and literally that has been it. Even Willie D was more effective at giving the team a pulse

I think the decision to keep Green may have come from Francesco.  That's why the vote of confidence.  He probably didn't want to pay for two coaches for the rest of the year.  Benning is under contract for 2 more years.  He isn't going anywhere.  This team keeps blowing 2-0 and 3-0 leads.  That's not on Benning.  Green is out of his league right now.  He doesn't know how to turn this ship around.  And his assistant coaches are even worse than him.  They all gotta go.

• Vintage 3

They should call this forum the "Canucks Delusion Forum". Most posters on here still think Benning is a good Gm, think Green is an nhl coach, and the roster is good enough to make the playoffs. WRONG. Be honest, Benning is a bad GM. From paying to many bottom 6 forwards too much money, giving away draft picks, holding on to players to long until they have no trade value or finish out their contract and walking with nothing coming in return, not just panic buying UFA's but then giving them to much money. This was a guy who supposed to know talent. Name some guys in our farm system that are going to make the jump??? Posters on this forum brag about our farm system talent, well look around other teams have talent and somehow teams that are at the top of the league keep finding talent to stay there. How long are we supposed to wait?? Wise up people Green is not an NHL coach and if you watch the players they want him gone. How many good coaches have we passed on because aquman doesn't want to pay top dollar. We have some good talent but the bottom half of the team sucks. 

Talk about shotgun jake as trade bait. What is anybody going to give us for a player that plays on the 4th line or on the bench. How about the russian defencemen  that benning managed to piss of that could probably help us right now. Another brain fart by this management. To add to the pain Calgary is passed us in the standings. So it goes on and on

47 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

POSTGAME | Travis Green

green looks like he just had to put his dog down tragic     the question they asked bout taking a time out   was a bad take on his behalf saying u dont needit in season with no fans geezus take a timeout calm the kids  refocus on simple plays    

21 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Not yet, in the season prediction thread I predicted we’d win the cup if Green is fired before game 30, we have 6 games to go.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

Except we're paying the $3 million Luongo fine, $1 million for the Spooner buyout and $2.2 million for Baer. That's $6.2 million in unavailable cap space. JB didn't know if Ferland would be able to play, so he had to leave $3.5 million in cap space for his salary, and he also can't get rid of Loui's, contract, which at the time seemed like a decent signing and nobody could predict that his offense would disappear. Getting Schmidt was a great deal and long-term will look better and better. Getting Hamonic at a bargain basement price was also a great move, and it's just Canucks luck that he and Motte got hurt. Hamonic in for Benn and Motte in for Jake would make the team much better.

Totally agree on that.  Why is it always Benning's fault when player's get hurt or player's forget how to score?  So easy to be a Monday morning quarterback when you already know the outcome.  

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

I don't think Green was the catalyst for the bubble team, I think it was the excitement of actually being IN the the playoffs that led to most of the inspired play.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

We're suddenly 3rd last again in terms of points percentage and quite frankly, Ottawa are playing better than us - they just beat the Habs and really took it to them. 

Shame after we strung some good performances together, we've really dropped off again since wearing the Retro jerseys.

We need a big change, you can see the boys playing their guts out which gave us a bit of life, but now we're right back to rubbish play. The McDavid goal was just quick passing, 2 passes we shouldn't have let through, and the game winner is a point shot against our 4th line that costs us the game.

Just now, Hairy Kneel said:

I don't think Green was the catalyst for the bubble team, I think it was the excitement of actually being IN the the playoffs that led to most of the inspired play.

We weren't going to make the playoffs last year and I think had it not been for covid, Travis and possibly Jim would have been served their walking papers by now. 

3 minutes ago, nuk76 said:

They should call this forum the "Canucks Delusion Forum". Most posters on here still think Benning is a good Gm, think Green is an nhl coach, and the roster is good enough to make the playoffs. WRONG. Be honest, Benning is a bad GM. From paying to many bottom 6 forwards too much money, giving away draft picks, holding on to players to long until they have no trade value or finish out their contract and walking with nothing coming in return, not just panic buying UFA's but then giving them to much money. This was a guy who supposed to know talent. Name some guys in our farm system that are going to make the jump??? Posters on this forum brag about our farm system talent, well look around other teams have talent and somehow teams that are at the top of the league keep finding talent to stay there. How long are we supposed to wait?? Wise up people Green is not an NHL coach and if you watch the players they want him gone. How many good coaches have we passed on because aquman doesn't want to pay top dollar. We have some good talent but the bottom half of the team sucks. 

Talk about shotgun jake as trade bait. What is anybody going to give us for a player that plays on the 4th line or on the bench. How about the russian defencemen  that benning managed to piss of that could probably help us right now. Another brain fart by this management. To add to the pain Calgary is passed us in the standings. So it goes on and on

team needs new playing systems we were one win from going to semi finals last yr 

benning has done some good things   tryamkim demko virtanen boeser macewen motte  hughes petey juolevi hoglander  podkolzin are a million times better than gillis leaving us hutton and horvat  as prospect poole  plus lind woo rathbone  will be knocking on door soon. One more bad yr gets us one more elite draft puck  i just hope benning sells pearson edler sutter baertchi benn  at deadline all the extra picks  help the young  core moving forward 

• RoughGame 1