The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | February 23, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN

Rate this topic

-SN-

20 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I don't think Green was the catalyst for the bubble team, I think it was the excitement of actually being IN the the playoffs that led to most of the inspired play.

I also think the bubble caught other teams off guard, while giving us a free pass

Edited by DS4quality

Why rag on JV when he is not the problem? So many on here are insane to be thinking that trading him will do anything for this team. JV has been good this season. Beagle, Sutter, Roussel have all been doing great this season.

The troubles lie with D giving the puck away

Overplaying the first line and Hughes

The Lotto line just starting to score this many games into the season

Suffering from the Sedin syndrome of too many passes

One dimensional PP

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

Why rag on JV when he is not the problem? So many on here are insane to be thinking that trading him will do anything for this team. JV has been good this season. Beagle, Sutter, Roussel have all been doing great this season.

The troubles lie with D giving the puck away

Overplaying the first line and Hughes

The Lotto line just starting to score this many games into the season

Suffering from the Sedin syndrome of too many passes

One dimensional PP

I forgot to add that when scored on this team is so fragile. They just lose any momentum and fold. They need a hard fought win or something / anything to restore their broken confidence.

3 hours ago, billabong said:

Miller is a part of the solution, not the problem.

He’s been a lil grump this year for whatever reason but we need him 

strip it down around the core and re tool in the offseason

Pearson, virtanen, gaudette, benn and sutter are our 5 main trade chips. I’d be happy with 3/5 moved for anything

in a Covid world only teams who are hell bent on winning are gonna take on extra money so the demand might be low so adjust your expectations

For the first part, definitely. We’ve seen what kind of player Miller can be under normal circumstances. This year is unique in so many ways - from not being able to hang out with his teammates, to not being able to see his family, to having to watch the team that traded him away win the Cup... I wouldn’t be making long-term judgment calls on young/prime players based on this.

However, for the second part, you may be surprised. There are 5 teams in Canada fighting for 4 playoff spots. If any of them want to add a player without them having to quarantine and miss 1/8 of the season, they have only 2 trade partners: Vancouver & Ottawa. I suspect prices for our players will be higher than normal.

Not only that, but Ottawa doesn’t have a lot of trade chips. Most of their team is young and growing. Outside of Stepan (who rumours say desperately wants to get back to an American team for personal reasons), the next 2 best impending UFA forwards available are probably Pearson and Sutter. If it’s an impending UFA D-man you want, it’s pretty much just Gudbranson or Benn (possibly Hamonic, but not sure he’ll waive).

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

http://moneypuck.com/predictions.htm

Canucks odds of making the playoffs now just 10.8%. 3rd worst in the league, only ahead of Detroit and Ottawa.

And a 9.5% chance of winning the draft lottery, currently.

Will be interesting to see when our lottery odds start to get better than our playoff odds.

I see people are back at the cliff again. 

I bet you that if you were told  in 2015 that you would see a solid young core of players by 2021. You would all have thought that that was acceptable. Not a cup contender.  Just a group worth building around.

That group of players is here. Now finish the rebuild.

How many years did it take them to build around the twins?

We could use another real good draft.

• Cheers 2

40 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I see people are back at the cliff again. 

I bet you that if you were told  in 2015 that you would see a solid young core of players by 2021. You would all have thought that that was acceptable. Not a cup contender.  Just a group worth building around.

That group of players is here. Now finish the rebuild.

How many years did it take them to build around the twins?

We could use another real good draft.

Do you really think, with our roster, we are the third worst team in the league?

Nope

but that’s  where we are with Green

15 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Chicago us supposed to be rebuilding and they have blown by us 

don't be obtuse.   Toews, Kane, Seabrook, Keith...they are rebuilding despite those guys but won't ever be able to be a serious contender with all that money tied up either.     Toews and Kane are 32...close to where the Sedins regressed - but not there yet.   Hard to rebuild when you have most of the old country club still together.    Good enough to make the playoffs maybe at best, not bad enough to get good picks. The rebuild word was mentioned and Toews lost it ... Debricant is a good young player ... who else do they have that comes close to replacing their aging core? 

Edited by IBatch

20 minutes ago, GetFocht said:

I don't know about you, but if I owned this team I replace the GM and the Coach today. You have a game tomorrow where an interm coach can run it but then 4 days off to introduce a coach and have 3 good practices. 

At this point he's also painted himself in a corner by backing up both the GM and the coach.   This was the worst loss so far, but sums up the season perfectly too.

Time to start looking at who's available this draft in the top ten.   Mostly D's like QHs draft, a couple C's too.    We need both.