The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | February 23, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN

Rate this topic

-SN-

17 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Can't disagree with any of this good post.   One the bright side it wasn't that long ago that the team couldn't buy a goal... so many 1 or 2 or even 0 game performances, the team has gone a long way in that department.   Trotz IMO is the best D coach in the game.   What he did the year after he arrived is nothing sort of masterful.   Their drop in goals against was staggering.   To me there are only a handful of coaches that stand out in this league and right now he leads the pack by a fair margin.   Don't know who is out there that can replicate that but also know it would be a total fluke to get one - have to be an unknown at this point - and doubt the fanbase has the stomach for that.   And it probably doesn't even exist - Trotz mastered his craft over a long time in NSH, with some excellent d's to work with and learn from.   Losing a 3 goal lead is demoralizing for sure. 

We need a top level defensive defenseman, or 6 top four D's by committee and we aren't there yet for sure.   QHs without a defensive D stud, should be played as he is but with reduced minutes.   3rd pairing 5 x 5 ozone starts - and PP that's it.   His game needs development, and until it goes he won't be capable of doing anything other then outscoring his opponents.    Janis suggested we trade him for Ty Smith, Nolan Foote and a first and got flamed for it .... time will tell,  not that could actually be a good long term deal for the club. 

Anyways - this season for sure is a needed, our pool is starting to scrap the bottom and the team needs another D stud, a Horvat medium/long term replacement and a bottom six that can add to the scoreboard.   No complaints from the offense coming from the back end, it's so much better then it has been since the peak Sedin era.   

Don't know if JB is the right man for the job, but because he's created a new core within acceptable time frame (factually better then most teams - look at Detroit for example, or most other rebuilds the past two decades), but am coming around to the idea of a coaching change.   Don't think it's all on TG at all. And am pretty sure he will get other job offers. 

Of the 51 pts the Canucks D have scored 21 are from Hughes. That's 41%. The other 8 D they've used this year have a combined 30pts. I think some fans would have a complaint about this disparity. If Quinn has a cold streak or gets an injury then the D scoring would dry up almost instantly.

9 hours ago, luckylager said:

and crickets on the cross-ice dzone passes. 

Honestly wtf is that $&!#? It's driving me crazy. Since &^@#ing when is a cross ice pass ok to do in your own zone?

Killing me 

How about this one. Roussel takes a moronic penalty, we spend the whole 2 minutes chasing McSparkles around, he hits about 12 posts, our guys are absolutely gassed, we got two guys holding each other up, while they're just pummeling Demko, then Roussel comes flying out of the box like a Canon, single handedly covers 3 Edmonton guys while causing them to turn it over in the corner, he finally comes up with it about 5 feet from the boards by the players bench, and after we haven't touched the puck in over 4 minutes of which McDavid has been on the whole time what does this idiot do

he throws a sideways pass to a teammate 3 inches in front of his own blue line hoping for a two on one, with one minute left in the period, and it gets stripped for a McDavid breakaway.

YOU FU^%KING MORON ROUSSEL 

Who in the world is going to be able to beat McDavid in a footrace after PK'ing for 2 minutes straight.

Unbelievable, we have to dumbest group of players in the league. Dump it down the boards you meatball.

This team is officially unwatchable for me at this point.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Our guys aren't processing the game fast enough. 

I think it's from lack of familiarity with the system and each other which is strange as only tanev and markstrom are gone. 

Our d are holding the puck longer than they should when retrieving the puck and then getting pressed and turning it over etc. 

Some simple plays where I see 2 forecheckers bearing in on Myers should be a simple ring around the glass (called out by team mates) with a guy positioned on the sidewall but he goes back, eats the puck and then turns it over) because he doesn't know where his guys are... 

I then see ill advised passes up the middle. 

I don't know how professionals can't execute plays we've been taught since Timbits. 

I might be lacking in knowledge. Is Green trying to deploy a more complicated system that requires more time to learn? Once they get it, will our breakouts be easier? 

18 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

I agree with this, and it would be great to see what Lind can do as well. The problem is, Green is going to be coaching to save his life, which he's not doing a very good job of inspiring the team to greater heights. So I can't see him experimenting knowing very well his ass is on the hot seat. 

Yeah he's kinda a dumbass IMHO. This is the time to develop but we'll probably keep chasing our tails to try and make the playoffs. We're in danger of mismanaging Huggy,  his offense is astounding but he needs a lot of help on his D zone coverage. 

The mental gaffes and high number of giveaways on this team scares me. Somebody should round up some Howie Meeker tapes about clearing the zone and last man back.

We have tonnes of talent but lack mental toughness, we get hemmed in our zone then we panic and turn it over. One thing I loved about Tiger Williams was how he would be able to lob the puck high in the air over everyone's heads, out of the zone and avoiding an icing in the process.

ps Lind! Yes please.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Totally agree on that.  Why is it always Benning's fault when player's get hurt or player's forget how to score?  So easy to be a Monday morning quarterback when you already know the outcome.  

No It is not Bennings fault that some players got hurt

But it is his fault how he has MANAGED his team

He Managed to have his team at the bottom of the league for years with no cap space (and WAIT for deals from cap strapped teams like we acquired Ehrhoff), instead he Managed to get into bidding wars for overpaid players that sit or are on 4th lines

He Managed to do that with out ANY superstar contracts on the payroll that every other team has

Instead of making excuses of a flat cap, that affects every team in the NHL, It should have been an advantage for us

We should have come out of this flat cap  better than ANY team who was already paying high on their core

He Managed to trade away players and draft picks that could have been used more prudently

He Managed to let good players walk for nothing in return

Take it or leave it but, It's my opinion that he hasn't Managed very well in General, either way my opinion changes nothing

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

How about this one. Roussel takes a moronic penalty, we spend the whole 2 minutes chasing McSparkles around, he hits about 12 posts, our guys are absolutely gassed, we got two guys holding each other up, while they're just pummeling Demko, then Roussel comes flying out of the box like a Canon, single handedly covers 3 Edmonton guys while causing them to turn it over in the corner, he finally comes up with it about 5 feet from the boards by the players bench, and after we haven't touched the puck in over 4 minutes of which McDavid has been on the whole time what does this idiot do

he throws a sideways pass to a teammate 3 inches in front of his own blue line hoping for a two on one, with one minute left in the period, and it gets stripped for a McDavid breakaway.

YOU FU^%KING MORON ROUSSEL 

Who in the world is going to be able to beat McDavid in a footrace after PK'ing for 2 minutes straight.

Unbelievable, we have to dumbest group of players in the league. Dump it down the boards you meatball.

This team is officially unwatchable for me at this point.

Yeah sometimes I feel like our guys are so goal hungry that they lack the smarts to make the right play. 

Back in the day, players would be parked on the bench for that. 

Who besides Virtanen ever gets sat for bone headed plays? 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Yeah sometimes I feel like our guys are so goal hungry that they lack the smarts to make the right play. 

Back in the day, players would be parked on the bench for that. 

Who besides Virtanen ever gets sat for bone headed plays? 

If it was me, 100 push ups for every gaffe, at practice, in front of everybody. Or thousand dollar kangaroo court fine towards the beer fund. Or both.

Edited by Hairy Kneel

4 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

If it was me, 100 push ups for every gaffe, at practice, in front of everybody. Or thousand dollar kangaroo court fine towards the beer fund. Or both.

A player with an iron clad contract with a 6 million cap hit for the next several seasons laughs at that punishments.

The Crow:  "I see you've made your decision....let's see you enforce it (on me)".

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Montreal loses 6 of 8 and turfs julien

we lost 10 of 12 and just accept it 

Ridiculous losing culture 

Losing culture... Yea no clue what that means. This team is full of winners and confident youngsters... 

Julien got his team 1 period away from the west final too last year? Right? 

Get a grip. The sky isn't falling... Life is beautiful. Be patient and trust the process. 

management can take care of any issue that comes up. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Montreal loses 6 of 8 and turfs julien

we lost 10 of 12 and just accept it 

Ridiculous losing culture 

I'm curious to see if their record improves. If it doesn't than there was no point. 

Also greens contract is over at the end of this fake ass hockey season. With the border closures and whatnot I dont see a way we can even put another guy behind the bench that's not named baumgartner.