The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | February 23, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

A player with an iron clad contract with a 6 million cap hit for the next several seasons laughs at that punishments.

The Crow:  "I see you've made your decision....let's see you enforce it (on me)".

Okay 200 push ups

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, JoshuaGuy said:

The consistently stupid plays, like sending it back down low in your own zone, under pressure no less, that make me think they're being told to do these things. Ozone is always skate into corner, pass back to point, like 90% of the time. No more creative ozone time to be seen. Ring it around the boards everywhere to a surprised player and by the time he gets control he's fully covered. Its the same every game. 

OMG, how many times did I see us getting hemmed in our own for long periods of time, get the puck back behind our net where we have a clear lane to ring it around the boards the way their facing to most likely get the puck out on a changing team or at least make a low risk play. Instead they purposefully knock the puck  behind themselves in the corner only to either miss the puck and put it back on the other team's stick, or gain control and try to feather a nice pass out right through our own slot only to be picked off again.

It's simply :picard:

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

I'm curious to see if their record improves. If it doesn't than there was no point. 

Also greens contract is over at the end of this fake ass hockey season. With the border closures and whatnot I dont see a way we can even put another guy behind the bench that's not named baumgartner.

I agree

they added Burrows which sucks for us 

They will get a boost but i know worry about them taking Gallant 

28 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

Of the 51 pts the Canucks D have scored 21 are from Hughes. That's 41%. The other 8 D they've used this year have a combined 30pts. I think some fans would have a complaint about this disparity. If Quinn has a cold streak or gets an injury then the D scoring would dry up almost instantly.

Even then it's still better then it was with Edler maybe getting 30 points and a few with 8-9 one with maybe 20....how many games have we played? 23....over a full season - and not saying it's sustainable, but close to 200 points from you D is a lot better then it had been in quite some time.  Take QHs completely out and assume he scores 75, that's about where the entire D was scoring without him right?   And Edler manning the point, Hutton scoring maybe 22 or so - the rest 10-15...   Point is there are some things going right with this team too.   But feel free to denegrate that too. 

Edited by IBatch

5 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

All is good 

no playoffs for 4 years other than a covid qualifier 

lost 10 of 12 

one of the worst records in the league 

all is good 

Man can you just give it a rest already.   Obvious is just that.   Nobody doesn't know this stuff.   Some of us see the macro view isn't as gloom and doom.  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Man can you just give it a rest already.   Obvious is just that.   Nobody doesn't know this stuff.   Some of us see the macro view isn't as gloom and doom.  

Will get interesting at season ticket renewal time next offseason if this continues.  That's when...

(hard to believe Glenn Frey passed away like four or five years ago..)

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

This season is becoming a wash but I’m more concerned about next season with the contracts we have and the failure of being able to move them,(we can now add virtanen to the bad contract list) that we will be icing the same team next year and the doom and gloom could potentially continue 

37 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

No It is not Bennings fault that some players got hurt

But it is his fault how he has MANAGED his team

He Managed to have his team at the bottom of the league for years with no cap space (and WAIT for deals from cap strapped teams like we acquired Ehrhoff), instead he Managed to get into bidding wars for overpaid players that sit or are on 4th lines

He Managed to do that with out ANY superstar contracts on the payroll that every other team has

Instead of making excuses of a flat cap, that affects every team in the NHL, It should have been an advantage for us

We should have come out of this flat cap  better than ANY team who was already paying high on their core

He Managed to trade away players and draft picks that could have been used more prudently

He Managed to let good players walk for nothing in return

Take it or leave it but, It's my opinion that he hasn't Managed very well in General, either way my opinion changes nothing

Dude Holland and Yzerman are doing the exact same thing in Detroit if you haven't noticed - same with Dorion in OTT.   You have to insulate - for sure he was one year off on his contracts because his core was that good.   Think about for minute.   Doesn't mean he should be given a pass because of course he shouldn't.   But i'd much rather have one of the best young teams in the league then still be waiting .... and really we should be still waiting.  

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Dude Holland and Yzerman are doing the exact same thing in Detroit if you haven't noticed - same with Dorion in OTT.   You have to insulate - for sure he was one year off on his contracts because his core was that good.   Think about for minute.   Doesn't mean he should be given a pass because of course he shouldn't.   But i'd much rather have one of the best young teams in the league then still be waiting .... and really we should be still waiting.  

Ottawa has some good young talent but it’s their owner (not spending money) that’ll hold them back & has held them back.  That isn’t an issue here.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, davidgoliath said:

Starting to wonder about the captaincy of this team. Should the captain be a leader? I don’t see leadership from Horvat. His work ethic has dropped off. He’s big enough to hit but rarely does so.  Virtanen is the new Erickson - just a useless overpaid slug. He could hit but he doesn’t. There is more energy in a nursing home. The two biggest talents on the team must feel exploited being paid peanuts while Erickson, Beagle, Sutter, Virtanen, Roussel are all greatly overpaid for what they contribute. That has got to be unhealthy. They all know this team is screwed up and going nowhere. They all know the incompetence of the general manager. So why bust a gut for nothing.

Aren’t you just a happy fellah here...

You remind me of this kid:

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Can't disagree with any of this good post.   One the bright side it wasn't that long ago that the team couldn't buy a goal... so many 1 or 2 or even 0 game performances, the team has gone a long way in that department.   Trotz IMO is the best D coach in the game.   What he did the year after he arrived is nothing sort of masterful.   Their drop in goals against was staggering.   To me there are only a handful of coaches that stand out in this league and right now he leads the pack by a fair margin.   Don't know who is out there that can replicate that but also know it would be a total fluke to get one - have to be an unknown at this point - and doubt the fanbase has the stomach for that.   And it probably doesn't even exist - Trotz mastered his craft over a long time in NSH, with some excellent d's to work with and learn from.   Losing a 3 goal lead is demoralizing for sure. 

We need a top level defensive defenseman, or 6 top four D's by committee and we aren't there yet for sure.   QHs without a defensive D stud, should be played as he is but with reduced minutes.   3rd pairing 5 x 5 ozone starts - and PP that's it.   His game needs development, and until it goes he won't be capable of doing anything other then outscoring his opponents.    Janis suggested we trade him for Ty Smith, Nolan Foote and a first and got flamed for it .... time will tell,  not that could actually be a good long term deal for the club. 

Anyways - this season for sure is a needed, our pool is starting to scrap the bottom and the team needs another D stud, a Horvat medium/long term replacement and a bottom six that can add to the scoreboard.   No complaints from the offense coming from the back end, it's so much better then it has been since the peak Sedin era.   

Don't know if JB is the right man for the job, but because he's created a new core within acceptable time frame (factually better then most teams - look at Detroit for example, or most other rebuilds the past two decades), but am coming around to the idea of a coaching change.   Don't think it's all on TG at all. And am pretty sure he will get other job offers. 

Barry Trotz: My buddy grew up In Dauphin and knew Barry Trotz back then. Always spoke very highly of him as a hockey coach. As a coach: 5 years AHL; 15 years in Nashville; 4 years in Washington (he picked the Caps over Vancouver. I am sure he saw greater CUP chances there; he choose to leave the Caps and moved on to the NYI for the past 3 years. NYI go to the semis last year and he has them playing a top level team game. 

Travis Green: 970 NHL games with 764 points. High end offensive talent at points in his career. While a subjective figure he was mostly a negative +/- player. 20 NHL seasons with the last 5 seasons being more of a d-side player. Coaching: 1 year WHL-Portland, 4 years AHL in Utica, into 4th season with Vancouver.  Tough job balancing the fan desire for quick success versus proper team development. Green has experienced both sides of the offence/defense sides of the NHL game. Does he need more NHL coaching support on the bench? Benning never coached. Baumgartner? King? Brown: the PP is pretty good. Clark is solid. The big ? is why Manny left. Obviously they gave preference to replacing Brown I guess. Manny had NHL experience with serious d-side cred. 

I agree with your desire for a D stud. Question might be whether Tryamkin or Wu could fill that. Until that is realized I would hope that Brisbois and Chatfield get further looks. The expansion draft might pop someone loose. Totally agree that QH should be getting less TOI. Target 20 minutes and adjust to game conditions. 

To me it is not necessarily about winning but how the team plays win or lose. If this is not a playoff team then refocus on a more balanced approach. 

20 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I see the Canuck alumni in Detroit were all a scratch last night. Stech, Gagner and Biega.  

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Barry Trotz: My buddy grew up In Dauphin and knew Barry Trotz back then. Always spoke very highly of him as a hockey coach. As a coach: 5 years AHL; 15 years in Nashville; 4 years in Washington (he picked the Caps over Vancouver. I am sure he saw greater CUP chances there; he choose to leave the Caps and moved on to the NYI for the past 3 years. NYI go to the semis last year and he has them playing a top level team game. 

Travis Green: 970 NHL games with 764 points. High end offensive talent at points in his career. While a subjective figure he was mostly a negative +/- player. 20 NHL seasons with the last 5 seasons being more of a d-side player. Coaching: 1 year WHL-Portland, 4 years AHL in Utica, into 4th season with Vancouver.  Tough job balancing the fan desire for quick success versus proper team development. Green has experienced both sides of the offence/defense sides of the NHL game. Does he need more NHL coaching support on the bench? Benning never coached. Baumgartner? King? Brown: the PP is pretty good. Clark is solid. The big ? is why Manny left. Obviously they gave preference to replacing Brown I guess. Manny had NHL experience with serious d-side cred. 

I agree with your desire for a D stud. Question might be whether Tryamkin or Wu could fill that. Until that is realized I would hope that Brisbois and Chatfield get further looks. The expansion draft might pop someone loose. Totally agree that QH should be getting less TOI. Target 20 minutes and adjust to game conditions. 

To me it is not necessarily about winning but how the team plays win or lose. If this is not a playoff team then refocus on a more balanced approach. 

Benning has had seven years to find that top defensive defenseman.  Schmidt is a solid two-way defenseman but one guy ain’t remotely good enough after that period of time.