The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | February 23, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN

Rate this topic

-SN-

4 minutes ago, bree2 said:

i don't know , there had to be a reason he did that and it wasn't on camera

agreed. Rooster doesn't run around sucker punching guys for nothing. Too much dumping on our players right now, they aren't the one's running a bad system. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

I'm late to the party today so haven't read a lot of the pages. But why was Conner McDavid so open for his power play goal?  This seems to be like people telling the US Capitol police that there is going to be a rumble, and then saying, uh, we were not ready. There where many on this forum saying "Put someone on McDavid" and there he was open with plenty of time. And was Hughes on the penalty kill during that goal?

13 minutes ago, apollo said:

Shoulda labeled my chart - it wasn't vancouver record. It was Pittsburghs.. Final 2 years of my chart they had Crosby too. 

2004 Canucks still Champs in my books ftr 

Actually, it was I that should've looked at it more closely.

We're both kind of in the wrong.  It was like the end of Rocky III (where it ends before you know who won their little sparring match):

Peace brother.:)

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

PooSharty would still be bleeding. Zack’s not a sucker puncher like Antoine. 

honestly Phil I'm surprised by your reaction to this, given how many times you've hoped our team would play tougher. JP clearly was pulling some stupid crap and got schooled. I'm just fine with it, sends a message. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Barry Trotz: My buddy grew up In Dauphin and knew Barry Trotz back then. Always spoke very highly of him as a hockey coach. As a coach: 5 years AHL; 15 years in Nashville; 4 years in Washington (he picked the Caps over Vancouver. I am sure he saw greater CUP chances there; he choose to leave the Caps and moved on to the NYI for the past 3 years. NYI go to the semis last year and he has them playing a top level team game. 

Travis Green: 970 NHL games with 764 points. High end offensive talent at points in his career. While a subjective figure he was mostly a negative +/- player. 20 NHL seasons with the last 5 seasons being more of a d-side player. Coaching: 1 year WHL-Portland, 4 years AHL in Utica, into 4th season with Vancouver.  Tough job balancing the fan desire for quick success versus proper team development. Green has experienced both sides of the offence/defense sides of the NHL game. Does he need more NHL coaching support on the bench? Benning never coached. Baumgartner? King? Brown: the PP is pretty good. Clark is solid. The big ? is why Manny left. Obviously they gave preference to replacing Brown I guess. Manny had NHL experience with serious d-side cred. 

I agree with your desire for a D stud. Question might be whether Tryamkin or Wu could fill that. Until that is realized I would hope that Brisbois and Chatfield get further looks. The expansion draft might pop someone loose. Totally agree that QH should be getting less TOI. Target 20 minutes and adjust to game conditions. 

To me it is not necessarily about winning but how the team plays win or lose. If this is not a playoff team then refocus on a more balanced approach. 

Great points, kinda hoping of the same thing: that the coaches would have a more balanced deployment regardless of the results or game.  Plus, rolling four lines allows for - legit - opportunities for rookies/etc to get into the lineup.   

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Kinda speaks to what I’ve been noticing about our top guys forcing plays that aren’t there way too much.

Miller especially has been guilty of the no look backhand pass too much this season followed by the throwing back of the head and coasting back into play.

Unfortunately these things needed to be coached out way earlier. A strong coach would have got that message across real quick. Green seems to only be pressing the message now that we’ve lost 10 of 12.

42 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

That is absolutely positively not true, without good leadership there is no positive development, it’s true in sports, business and life.

Um agree to disagree. This group will excel as they get older. Do I think there will be/should be a coaching change? possibly, and I won't be surprised if it happens at the end of this train wreck season. Do I think that they will continue to improve this year despite the lack of 'positive development'? Yes, because the core is talented and professional and will find ways to do so despite the coaching. I know you are not a Green fan, not that I am totally invested either, but there is just too much talent on this team to not figure it out at some point. Cheers.

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Kinda speaks to what I’ve been noticing about our top guys forcing plays that aren’t there way too much.

Miller especially has been guilty of the no look backhand pass too much this season followed by the throwing back of the head and coasting back into play.

Unfortunately these things needed to be coached out way earlier. A strong coach would have got that message across real quick. Green seems to only be pressing the message now that we’ve lost 10 of 12.

No look is okay with proper support, but the way they set up the rush puts that puck into a dead zone. This team plays as if they have a trailer on every play, but don't actually and just end up turning a something into nothing because of the formation. 

Hamonic is practicing with the team today, paired with Hughes I believe. And Miller is practicing on the 3rd line (I wonder if this is just for motivational purposes?). But I think they might actually play better moving forward. As of now they're in a good drafting position in the Top 10, maybe Top 5, but I can see them playing well enough to drop to the #15 pick. 

Montreal has the guts to fire a stanley cup winning coach who loses 6 of his last 8 games yet still has his team in a playoff spot

Vancouver keeps its “never won anything” coach after a sub 500 career record, losses in 10 of the last 12 games and out of playoff contention

its a results business

At the start of this season did we have lower expectations than Montreal? 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, SNuck said:

catch and release cooking GIF by Laff

So frustrating 

when you know we lack offensive talent, put your best 6 players in the top 6

you then set specific roles for the bottom 6. Shut down, grind 

instead Green keeps sticking  Bo with at least one weak player. Kills line 2 and Stiffles Bo 

22 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

And Miller is practicing on the 3rd line (I wonder if this is just for motivational purposes?). 

He's playing too many mins because of special teams.  This keeps his ice time down a bit and might give the bottom 6 a chance to actually do something.

I'd like to see Michaelis get a chance if Sutter can be moved.