The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | February 23, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN

Rate this topic

-SN-

59 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

agreed. Rooster doesn't run around sucker punching guys for nothing. Too much dumping on our players right now, they aren't the one's running a bad system. 

Too much Dumping on the Coaches running the Bad system as well.

The players are equally responsible, they are not EXICUTING the system and making glaring errors

When things go south like this it's easy for everyone to blame what they see as the sole problem

It's not just one thing boys and girls.......

Win as a team or lose as a team

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

He's playing too many mins because of special teams.  This keeps his ice time down a bit and might give the bottom 6 a chance to actually do something.

I'd like to see Michaelis get a chance if Sutter can be moved.

IMO I doubt that too many minutes is an issue..

You wanna pout and play...we will put someone out there who can play up those minutes, 

Miller {Skating slow to bench all pouty}

Green: Miller, skate harder back to the bench for line changes....PLEASE~!

Miller: {Sarcasm} Sorry coach, I'm tired...{Still pouting}

Green: Ok, I'll fix that for you next game....

angry mark cuban GIF

3 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Too much Dumping on the Coaches running the Bad system as well.

The players are equally responsible, they are not EXICUTING the system and making glaring errors

When things go south like this it's easy for everyone to blame what they see as the sole problem

It's not just one thing boys and girls.......

Win as a team or lose as a team

but why aren't they executing? there's a real lack of ability to adapt to the personnel changes, and that is on the coaches imo. Its also an easy change to make. 

I guess its funny when I see people saying that the team is still too "Sedin like" and then complain when they show some bite :lol: 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

but why aren't they executing? there's a real lack of ability to adapt to the personnel changes, and that is on the coaches imo. Its also an easy change to make. 

The million dollar Question Jimmy, Why, why why? You believe you have the answer i respect your opinion

I don't buy your total blame on the Coaches and as for adapting to personnel changes i don't buy that now that we are 1/3 into season, this is the Canucks team.

I also doubt it's easy to fire the coaching staff and hire and integrate a new group, that can't be EASY

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, DarthMelvin said:

IMO I doubt that too many minutes is an issue..

He played almost 11mins in the 3rd period vs the jets bc of special teams and 23mins last game.  He's not as effective 5 on 5 because of that.  Green has stated himself now that Miller is on the PK his total mins is an issue

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess its funny when I see people saying that the team is still too "Sedin like" and then complain when they show some bite :lol: 

We've seen a clear difference when the Canucks make the right pass and don't turn the puck over vs when they don't.  That's not a systems issue.  Bottom 6 was clearly outplayed vs the Oilers.  Again, not a systems issue.

2 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

He played almost 11mins in the 3rd period vs the jets bc of special teams and 23mins last game.  He's not as effective 5 on 5 because of that.  Green has stated himself now that Miller is on the PK his total mins is an issue

Wow Greener... I wonder whose fault that is? 

Just now, AbrasiveAjax said:

The million dollar Question Jimmy, Why, why why? You believe you have the answer i respect your opinion

I don't buy your total blame on the Coaches and as for adapting to personnel changes i don't buy that now that we are 1/3 into season, this is the Canucks team.

I also doubt it's easy to fire the coaching staff and hire and integrate a new group, that can't be EASY

I think changing coaches may be a good option. It does work sometimes to defibrillate teams into playing better. Sometimes not. 

I'm not laying it all on the coaches, but its an easier change than major personnel ones, and right now being down with Ottawa I don't see the risk.

But I'm open to arguments on what Green brings to this team and why we should stick by him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Losing Motte has had a big ripple effect there champ

Yeah, ok champ, every team losing a player like Motte would end up with their leading scorer from the year prior playing so many PK minutes that it becomes an issue... sorry I didn't realize that. 

4 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

We've seen a clear difference when the Canucks make the right pass and don't turn the puck over vs when they don't.  That's not a systems issue.  Bottom 6 was clearly outplayed vs the Oilers.  Again, not a systems issue.

that may explain last night, but this team is much better on paper than what we see now, being at risk of being tied in wins with Ottawa. My 2 cents is Green and Baumer in particular have been unable to adapt to losing Marky and Tanev. Maybe another coach can.

But like I said to Ajax, I'd like to hear whats special about Green that he must be kept, vs trying a more experienced NHL coach like Gallant or Julien, e.g. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

My 2 cents is Green and Baumer in particular have been unable to adapt to losing Marky and Tanev. Maybe another coach can.

Well, another coach wouldn't have to adapt to that, which is perhaps a benefit all on it's own now that you mentioned it. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

Yeah, ok champ, every team losing a player like Motte would end up with their leading scorer from the year prior playing so many PK minutes that it becomes an issue... sorry I didn't realize that. 

Without Motte who else slides in?  Roussel has been ok.  Pearson is not a great PKr.  Virtanen?  Gaudette?  MacEwan maybe?  There you go champ

41 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

So frustrating 

when you know we lack offensive talent, put your best 6 players in the top 6

you then set specific roles for the bottom 6. Shut down, grind 

instead Green keeps sticking  Bo with at least one weak player. Kills line 2 and Stiffles Bo 

Hate to say it but Bo's line played pretty good with LE on it.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Without Motte who else slides in?  Roussel has been ok.  Pearson is not a great PKr.  Virtanen?  Gaudette?  MacEwan maybe?  There you go champ

I don't know, I'm not an NHL coach, champ.

But a coach taking a high scoring player, putting him on the PK, and then saying "his total mins are an issue" is not a good look. Not sure how you can defend that... 

A lot boils down to very poor play in our zone. Piss poor. A simple chip over the blueline or even ice the puck, just release the pressure to reset. But NO ,always trying a cute little 10' pass or two  deep in our end. Schmitt just loves those cross ice passes right in front of our crease and i think hughe's needs to take some time to work as a defensive D because we had tanev who took care of that part of the game for him.. These things creep into almost  every game . Myers standing still couldn't make a pass to save his life but in stride looks good. Any more than 36 seconds trapped in our end generally results in a goal.. Hammer it out.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

that may explain last night, but this team is much better on paper than what we see now, being at risk of being tied in wins with Ottawa. My 2 cents is Green and Baumer in particular have been unable to adapt to losing Marky and Tanev. Maybe another coach can.

But like I said to Ajax, I'd like to hear whats special about Green that he must be kept, vs trying a more experienced NHL coach like Gallant or Julien, e.g. 

Maybe.  Personally, I see a roster that doesn't have enough options when the top of it isn't going.  The bottom 6 needs to be desperately revamped.  

As far as TG goes, I think he's a good communicator, and knows the game inside out.  He's not a panicy guy and tries to get the team to stick with process.  I don't blame him for individual errors on the ice. 

He can't turn a team that plays like an overbaked moisture sucking muffin into a cupcake.  This team needs more pace to play the aggressive, pressure based style of play TG wants and that won't happen without the right horses.

1 minute ago, Qwags said:

Well deserved. But I'm just wondering where this was for Forbort on Hoglander.

You just know it's because of the hit beforehand, making the RETALIATION somewhat "justified".

Quite literally the worst possible reason, but that's NHL DOPS for you.