The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | February 23, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN

Rate this topic

28 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

If we lose these next 2 our chances of playoff hockey will almost be zero. At this point Benning needs to trade any pending UFAs he can. 

Not if we win every game after that! I believe! Somewhere over the rainbow...

Well..they need to win as much as they have lost so far, for the remainder of the season. By that i mean % nr of wins vs nr of games played. The rest of the season looks difficult to make anything out of, but not impossible. The Ws needs to start now and they need to elevate their game a bit in order to be able to do this. 

• Hydration 1
25 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Just going to try and enjoy Canucks hockey while I can, because before we know it the season will have ended and the playoffs will begin, and Canucks hockey will be over for the year.  They've got some good pieces, a lot of high picks over the last several years has helped, but now they need a solid Coaching staff to take them to the next level. If Green is extended, well, more of the same next year I would imagine.  

Exactomundo.

42 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Just going to try and enjoy Canucks hockey while I can, because before we know it the season will have ended and the playoffs will begin, and Canucks hockey will be over for the year.  They've got some good pieces, a lot of high picks over the last several years has helped, but now they need a solid Coaching staff to take them to the next level. If Green is extended, well, more of the same next year I would imagine.  

Green or not we still will ice the same bottom six next year .... yikes 

9 hours ago, Convincing John said:

Looks like we are seeing the same thing. I believe the main missing piece of the young core is a Big, strong smooth skating d man with a boomer from the point, preferably Right shot. The silver lining to the dismal power play is it might result in us finding that piece in a heavy D top 10 draft. 

You just described the "main missing piece" of about 14-15 teams in the NHL right now.

• Hydration 2
1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Hate that trades this year have the added layer of Covid difficulty attached to it.   Have to think behind the scenes someone in the NHL is doing everything they can to purchase vaccines and get their players done.   At this point trade options are somewhat limited to our own division logistically rental wise .... TO and MTL being the most obvious partners.   Sutter would help any team looking to bolster their C depth and improve face offs - Pearson as a middle six winger too.    Don't know what JBs plans are for either - but i wouldn't be a opposed at all to re-signing Sutter to replace Beagle medium term - we don't have anything in the pipe..also give AG one more year to work things out or not.

Pearson could be traded anytime really, i'm sure Bear wouldn't do much worse - and it's even possible it would help.  Plus IF Bear came in and that line worked better (Hoglander and Bear could have synergy and Horvat has already built some chemistry with him), you never know - even he could be a possible rental too.   

I agree with this post - not sure two games is enough but if we go on another skid sometime in the next ten games for sure it's time to change strategies towards to maximize our off season and future.    OTT also could sell...  All that said, given the year and trading players to the US  -  my expectation aren't very high this TDL.   Stupid covid. 

But players going from Canada to the US don't have to quarantine for as long. Laine was playing just over a week after the trade and the only reason he missed a few extra days was because he was injured. 

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, Convincing John said:

OJ was totally awesome on the power play back in the day. I’d like to see him snuck into the second unit and move Schmidt onto the PP1 in favour of Miller.  Schmidt actually has a fairly decent shot, it’s not hard but he gets it off and through traffic. We need to open up the middle on the PP.  Another threat on the blue line will force the PK out. And give the forwards more room down low, it will also give Hughes more freedom for wizardry. It’s time to start looking ahead here. Juolevi is an extremely smart player who would probably help with zone entry. Get him seasoned on the second unit and then maybe gradually toss him into PP1. He was awesome at holding the line and zipping it in back in the day and that’s what we need. 

Common sense stuff right here...too bad the coaches can't see it that way!

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
23 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

But players going from Canada to the US don't have to quarantine for as long. Laine was playing just over a week after the trade and the only reason he missed a few extra days was because he was injured. 

Good point 

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Well it's only fair that you should be allowed to add some booze to it ... that said what the heck goes well with Sprite anyways?    FYI THN ranked the retro jerseys and no surprise here, ours went 28th, one before the Flames awful rendition (that logo is terrible - and the Flames shouldn't steal that much of another teams identity), then ANA's sketch of whatever the heck that is - and dead last Detroit who maybe gave them their first draft - simply dreadful given they are original six.   Sprite.   Why didn't the Canucks go retro to the degree of pre Orca?   Fans and non fans alike would have eaten up the V or Skate.

Vodka I believe goes good with it. I like the colours of the reverse retro and the idea of it but it ends up just average to me. Definitely not “ugly” as some have put it. Look no further to Vegas if you want ugly.

Nothing will ever beat the Black Skate. Beautiful jersey. The team instantly looks mean and intimidating. Calgary retros are definitely a rip off of that 

• Hydration 1
  • -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | February 23, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN