The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] JB will circle back to OEL

I’d pass on having him locked in on a NMC for his ages 30-36 seasons. He’s already been trending down the last couple of seasons I don’t want that anchor of a contract. I’d rather target a dman from a team that is going have to trade or lose one through the expansion draft.

1 hour ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Just use the 2021 pick on a Dman. Our pick will be quite high. Luke Hughes, or Owen Powers, or other.

Apparently the draft is heavy on D early

If we can get one of Edvinsson/Power/Clarke, sit Ferland on the LTIR, trade Edler and Pearson at the deadline, re-sign Sutter and Baertschi(for the AHL) on league minimum contracts for next year(expansion draft. Baertschi is still an excellent depth forward that can fill-in in our top nine for injuries. We're going to have to wait out the clock on that Eriksson deal unless we can find someone to take the last year. Meanwhile, we've got Podkolzin coming in at the end of the year, Hoglander improving and developing on the team RIGHT NOW. We'll keep Travis Green through this season and maybe next, he's great at developing young players but when the team is ready we'll have a new GM and a new coach to lead us all the way. It could take 5, 6 maybe even 7 years but I'm confident  that we'll make it to the ultimate prize with this team. I honestly believe that the team we have now will be better in the playoffs than the 2011 or 2012 President's Trophy team and that was our best team EVER. Bo Horvat will be the first Canucks captain to hoist the Stanley Cup. You heard it here first. 

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

We could have Hedman on this team and we'd probably make him look like a fool giving up breakaways with this system.

Personel is not the issue. We have a former top-2 defenceman in Myers (but in all fairness, consistent top-4 guy), a former 2nd defenceman on 2 stacked teams in Schmidt, Edler who is still regarded as one of the best shutdown guys out there and certainly top-4 if not top-2 on most teams, Quinn Hughes who is leading the lead in defenceman scoring and then a bunch of good 3rd pairing D-men.

The players on this team is not the issue, it's trying to squeeze them into risky plays all the time, having a 2 man forecheck with a pinching defenceman that basically leads to a defenceman skating backwards and one forward trying to help slow down a rush every play against us. 

We put Hedman into that scenario and he's not going to be able to do much 3-on-1 or if he's caught up ice.

If JB is stupid enough to go after OEL, we will ruin his career. He's certainly still in his prime/towards the end of it, and bound to start declining which is not where you want that contract, but even with him, we're no better a team.

it is really a unigue system, is it not? It takes every defenseman 1 year to learn how to gel with the team and stop being the odd man out and looking terrible and then just look great while being terrible.  Baumer should write a book

16 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

Well if you think acquiring Schmidt was a "big trade" then yeah the JT trade is basically up there with the Suban/Weber swap.. 

Yeah totally never a big deal when you get a top 4 D for a 3rd round pick lol

Besides, you didn't say BLOCKBUSTER

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

This will never happen, more rumours, Vancouver don't need him.. 

We have Schmidt now 5 years X 6 million --- I really like Schmidt we have not seen how good he is yet, maybe last 4 games he is getting close...

OEL , 29, 6'2 - 7 yrs X 8.2 million -- This will not happen now we have Schmidt..

• Huggy Bear 1
9 hours ago, The King said:

I don't think people realize how close JB was to acquiring OEL, and I think ultimately JB will be successful in landing this very big piece to the Canucks being a contender. It's become evidently clear that the top teams in the league have three excellent defenders, and by acquiring OEL, JB might just have one of the top trios in the league. With guys like OJ (who looks fantastic and getting better with every shift and will be ready to replace Edler next season), and Rathbone ready to make the jump next year on the left side with Myers the Canucks might just have the best D corps in the league.

The OEL deal will happen prior to the deadline and will look something like this: 

OEL (8.25 x7= 57.75 mil)

for

ERIKSSON (6.0 x 2= 12.0 mil)

GAUDETTE (950k x 1)

Protected 1st- 2021 (Like Miller deal), but if Canucks retain their 1st this year, then Arizona receives an unprotected 1st next year and a 2nd this year.

Arizona will want more for OEL.    

While I was originally on board with getting OEL (before we picked up Schmidt), I think the Canucks are more in need of a 'defensive defensemen'.   Someone like Adam Larsson, Hampus Lindholm (trade for and extend after July 1st 2021), or an Erik Cernak type guy.    

id definately come back to this move  but depends how bad the owners of coyotes need this money off the books   if they take 1yr  roussel 1yr eriksson and myers 3 yrs and retain 1 mill on oel  so his cap hit is 6 yrs at 7.25  mill.

Owners of coyotes pay 30 mill out real dollars over 3 yrs   we pay out 43.5 actual money over 6 yrs  

sign tryamkin draft power and we gold 

very mobile group that can skate 

hughes oel

juolevi schmidt

edler tryamkin

rathbone power (ready to take spots in 2022-2023 season)

edler retires and trades can always happen 

On 2/23/2021 at 9:36 AM, The King said:

OEL is everything we need in a defender

OEL is a really good player and a Edler type player without all the penalties but taking on his deal will cause problems specially with resigning Petey and Hughes and trading Guadette would be even worse in this deal not too mention Arizona wants Draft picks in return

On 2/23/2021 at 6:57 PM, DarkIndianRises said:

Arizona will want more for OEL.    

While I was originally on board with getting OEL (before we picked up Schmidt), I think the Canucks are more in need of a 'defensive defensemen'.   Someone like Adam Larsson, Hampus Lindholm (trade for and extend after July 1st 2021), or an Erik Cernak type guy.    

or even Manson would help with toughness and possibly take Benn's spot next year with Hughes

42 minutes ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

or even Manson would help with toughness and possibly take Benn's spot next year with Hughes

My only issue with Manson is his age and style of play.  Guys like Manson are highly susceptible to falling off a cliff. 

2 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

My only issue with Manson is his age and style of play.  Guys like Manson are highly susceptible to falling off a cliff. 

They're also much harder to acquire as they're a dying breed and teams don't usually want to move theirs.