The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] JB will circle back to OEL

35 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

They're also much harder to acquire as they're a dying breed and teams don't usually want to move theirs.

If we're thinking Anaheim and we're thinking "defensive defensemen," then I'd much rather go after a guy like Hampus Lindholm.    Lindholm is younger and plays a style of game that will age better than Manson's.    Canucks are rumoured to be in talks with Anaheim right now (Virtanen for Heinen is what's being tossed around), but I'd rather see the Canucks try and put together a bigger package for Lindholm.   Something like Virtanen + Rathbone + 1st.     Trade for Lindholm, and then extend Lindholm after July 1st.    Let it be known to the boys in the locker room and the fans/media in the city that this year was only a temporary set back, and that the mad dash forward begins next season.   

Lindholm-Schmidt

Hughes-Tryamkin

Juolevi-Myers

Is a pretty solid defense.

21 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

If we're thinking Anaheim and we're thinking "defensive defensemen," then I'd much rather go after a guy like Hampus Lindholm.    Lindholm is younger and plays a style of game that will age better than Manson's.    Canucks are rumoured to be in talks with Anaheim right now (Virtanen for Heinen is what's being tossed around), but I'd rather see the Canucks try and put together a bigger package for Lindholm.   Something like Virtanen + Rathbone + 1st.     Trade for Lindholm, and then extend Lindholm after July 1st.    Let it be known to the boys in the locker room and the fans/media in the city that this year was only a temporary set back, and that the mad dash forward begins next season.   

Lindholm-Schmidt

Hughes-Tryamkin

Juolevi-Myers

Is a pretty solid defense.

That's fair; I'm just more a fan of the physical guys with a mean streak like Manson.  Imagine Manson jumping in as soon as someone takes liberties with Hughes.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

They're also much harder to acquire as they're a dying breed and teams don't usually want to move theirs.

he doesn't seem to be in the Ducks future plans with 1 year left and going to be exposed in the expansion draft and the Ducks would rather bring Lindholm back then Manson I would think. Canucks would have to add a prospect or a draft pick.

3 minutes ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

he doesn't seem to be in the Ducks future plans with 1 year left and going to be exposed in the expansion draft and the Ducks would rather bring Lindholm back then Manson I would think. Canucks would have to add a prospect or a draft pick.

Doesn't make sense to me but I'd be all over it.  Friend who is a Ducks fan will be choked.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

That's fair; I'm just more a fan of the physical guys with a mean streak like Manson.  Imagine Manson jumping in as soon as someone takes liberties with Hughes.

I’m of the opinion that Tryamkin will be returning to us in this off season and will be able to fill that role for us.   He’s not the kind of guy that will look for fights like a Manson would, but I don’t think too many teams will take liberties with us with Tryamkin back there. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DarkIndianRises said:

I’m of the opinion that Tryamkin will be returning to us in this off season and will be able to fill that role for us.   He’s not the kind of guy that will look for fights like a Manson would, but I don’t think too many teams will take liberties with us with Tryamkin back there. 

Tryamkin is a maybe at best for coming to Vancouver but Manson is like Juice without the offense and should have been the Canucks target replacement for Tanev to play with Hughes once they knew they weren't bringing Tanev back. 

• Cheers 1

On 2/23/2021 at 9:36 AM, The King said:

Why

because he is 8 million dollars, plus we have a 6 million dollars Myers and 6 million dollars schmidt and we havent even signed Hughes yet. It would end up being the most expensive D corps in the league yet bottom 10 in terms of defense.

• Cheers 1

On 2/23/2021 at 1:11 PM, gurn said:

Did we trade a first for Schmidt? No, well then not a big trade.

First for former first that ends up as the leading scorer, is a big trade.

I guess some could just look at a big trade and say Seth Jones was a big trade, or maybe Duchene was a big trade because of the names used (big names).   Could say there is a difference between a "good" trade and a "big" trade.   First rounders are spent often by contenders looking to bolster their lineups ... last year TB did it for - wait for it - scoring machine Coleman.   And context matters too - late first rounders past 22, from 1990-2010 (after that some guys are still playing so don't know quite how good their careers ended up yet) all the way to the end of the second round end up about exactly the same odds wise of becoming anything special.   50% zero games in the NHL ... of the other 50% most play 1-100 games only.    So rentals for picks might look like a high cost - and sometimes for sure it is - but most of the time it's not a big deal, and not a big trade because it included a first.   WG going to St. Louis as a rental .... LA got zero returns from that - but it's a "big trade" because it was well, Wayne Gretzky. 

On 3/1/2021 at 11:04 AM, DefCon1 said:

because he is 8 million dollars, plus we have a 6 million dollars Myers and 6 million dollars schmidt and we havent even signed Hughes yet. It would end up being the most expensive D corps in the league yet bottom 10 in terms of defense.

SJ says hello...EK, Burns, Vlasic...MIN Suter, Spurgeon, Dumba, Brodin - ouch! CAR will have to move one of Pesce, Skjei, Slavin, Gardiner once Hamilton gets paid (doubt less the 8)....even if OEL and QHs get paid the same and we have Myers (assume that means Edler is gone), we'd still have a somewhere average overall D spending.   PIT has four guys at over 4$ plus Letang at 7.5...Could add St. Louis to the list too.   Same as CAL and MTL...

One thing that is remarkable, is how little TB gets away with paying such a good D...Hedman and McDonagh still cost a lot more then Hughes and Myers will...

Edit:  For the record - i'm against trading for OEL without 1.5-2 million in retention. 

Myers and Schmidt, plus QHs - there still will be room for an Edler replacement cap wise...i don't see QHs making more then 6 on a bridge right now.   Long term?  7ish.   But i also get where your going.   Cap heavy Ds are in the 35 overall range...and where would ours be if we spent to that? 

Edited by IBatch