The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Brandon Montour is available

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think with covid and expansion, they'd be happy to get a top 9 with decent term left. No one's going to give a 1st rounder this year for him. 

It would be nice if a short extension could be negotiated prior to the trade as well. 

Is he worth it though? 

Assume we got 7F/3D/1G for the expansion draft those D are likely to be Schmidt, Juolevi, and maybe Myers at this point. Is Montour worth potentially losing Myers over? It's not as if he's got impressive size, numbers, or even PIMS. Looking at his history I also question his durability. He played 80 games for Anaheim back in 17-18 but otherwise his highest games played totals are 62 and 54 respectively. He's got youth on Myers (though he'll be 27 in May), but what else? 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Coconuts said:

Is he worth it though? 

Assume we got 7F/3D/1G for the expansion draft those D are likely to be Schmidt, Juolevi, and maybe Myers at this point. Is Montour worth potentially losing Myers over? It's not as if he's got impressive size, numbers of even PIMS. Looking at his history I also question his durability. He played 80 games for Anaheim back in 17-18 but otherwise his highest games played totals are 62 and 54 respectively. He's got youth on Myers, but what else? 

I'm assuming that Myers is going to be made available for Seattle, but that could change. I don't mind stocking up on the right side and sorting it out post-expansion.

I'd certainly trade Jake for him, but no more than that. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm assuming that Myers is going to be made available for Seattle, but that could change. I don't mind stocking up on the right side and sorting it out post-expansion.

I'd certainly trade Jake for him, but no more than that. 

We'd be better off re-signing Benn and exposing him imo 

If we're going to acquire someone to use an expansion draft protection spot on I imagine there will be better players than Montour available 

Losing Myers to Seattle frees up cap, but if we're not upgrading on Myers with those dollars what's really the point? Last thing we need going into next season is taking a step back with our defense 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

We'd be better off re-signing Benn and exposing him imo 

If we're going to acquire someone to use an expansion draft protection spot on I imagine there will be better players than Montour available 

Losing Myers to Seattle frees up cap, but if we're not upgrading on Myers with those dollars what's really the point? Last thing we need going into next season is taking a step back with our defense 

ahh... fair points. I guess I really want to move Jake :lol:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

ahh... fair points. I guess I really want to move Jake :lol:

I don't think we'd have a problem moving Jake tbh, there are always going to be teams willing to take a flyer on a relatively young player with his physical attributes 

His deal is small enough that it's not going to hurt teams, and his three seasons of 10, 15, and 18 goal in succession are appealing 

I almost wonder if we'd be better off retaining him and seeing how he'd do under competent coaching staff tbh, he'll likely never be a top 6 guy but we've paid more than 2.5 for guys playing 3rd and 4th line roles 

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I don't think we'd have a problem moving Jake tbh, there are always going to be teams willing to take a flyer on a relatively young player with his physical attributes 

His deal is small enough that it's not going to hurt teams, and his three seasons of 10, 15, and 18 goal in succession are appealing 

I almost wonder if we'd be better off retaining him and seeing how he'd do under competent coaching staff tbh, he'll likely never be a top 6 guy but we've paid more than 2.5 for guys playing 3rd and 4th line roles 

seems like Green et al come as a package deal. Not sure we're going to see any changes on that front.

We're still a few weeks away from the trade deadline, so we'll see how it shakes out. Time is running out tho on any major deals that impact saving this season. Montour isn't that guy either, just seemed like an OK idea until you talked me out of it. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

seems like Green et al come as a package deal. Not sure we're going to see any changes on that front.

We're still a few weeks away from the trade deadline, so we'll see how it shakes out. Time is running out tho on any major deals that impact saving this season. Montour isn't that guy either, just seemed like an OK idea until you talked me out of it. 

Not til closer to the end of the season at the earliest, but I think that was always going to be inevitable one way or another. Finding the right guy to bring in mid-season can be tricky enough during a regular season, let alone a Covid-shortened one with border and quarantine hoops to jump through.

Canucks are in a position where they can walk away from their head coach instead of firing him, it's been a while since we've allowed a deal to simply expire, I fully expect us to do so. And most head coaches tend to come with new coaching staff for the most part, I don't see Green going and Brown/Baumer being retained. What I expect to happen is that Benning sticks around and we start next season with a new coaching staff.

And yeah, it'll be interesting, I don't expect to see many trades tbh. I think the season is beyond saving, I think we dug ourselves a hole too early. I'd love to be wrong though. 

• Cheers 1

I  like Montour a lot - would love to acquire him - but he's a 3.85 million cap hit - and I'm not sure he'd be the right fit regardless -for what the team needs.

Hamonic struggled hard, Benn is an adequate placeholder (if you're not desperate for results) - but I think if the team were pursuing a RHD - they'd have to be the right kinf of fit to play with Hughes - or they're probably just setting up to need to make subsequent moves - and still pursue that principal need/target.

12 minutes ago, rekker said:

I would rather wait and see if we could get Larsson from the Oilers this off season. He is UFA and could be a good fit here. Especially with Hughes. 

Really? He's pretty underwhelming to me. I'd prefer Benning find as close to a perfect fit for Hughes as possible. Preferably a large, aggressive, stay at home defenseman who develops chemistry with Quinn and caves in faces that attack him.

Edited by PhillipBlunt

Why pick up a pending UFA who needs to use up a protection slot and we can't get for a couple weeks due to quarantine?  Really doesn't seem to make much sense for us.  A team like St. Louis might want to beef up for a run.

If they want to trade us Borgen (who they won't be able to protect in expansion and is out for most of the season with a broken forearm anyways) for Virtanen.. then by all means.  If they want to give up Ristolainen, sure lets put together a package.

Montour is more attractive as a rental to someone with playoff aspirations and doesn't have the aggressive, stay at home skills that we need to add and will be available during expansion for cheap.

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Really? He's pretty underwhelming to me. I'd prefer Benning find as close to a perfect fit for Hughes as possible. Preferably a large, aggressive, stay at home defenseman who develops chemistry with Quinn and caves in faces that attack him.

I like the caveman, caves on faces part. Larsson is a decent defensive righty. My ideal partner for Hughes, a righty? Manson from the Ducks. Wonder where if he's UFA next season. 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, rekker said:

I like the caveman, caves on faces part. Larsson is a decent defensive righty. My ideal partner for Hughes, a righty? Manson from the Ducks. Wonder where if he's UFA next season. 

He's 29 though. Might be better to develop or trade for a defenseman who's closer to Hughes in age. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Montour would add nothing to the defence. It's infected with the Baumgartner virus. Once cured, the defense will improve.

Sorry Travis, the defense isn't solid with Nolan running it. Not at all.

If removing Brown and Baumgartner means losing Green, it's a sacrifice that must be made. There are many more Greens out there, but there are only one of Brown and Baumgartner plaguing this team.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

if you can negotiate an extension then its not a rental. It will likely be hard for Buffalo to get any value on this deal, so I'd expect them to be open to that kind of move. 

This x 100.  

Well done Mr. McGill.

Having said that, I'm not sure if Montour interests me a whole lot.   The Canucks need more of a modern day 'stay at home' type guy.   A legitimate Tanev replacement that could possibly even be an Edler/Tanev hybrid replacement if said dman is capable of playing on a top pairing.

Guys like Adam Larsson, Hampus Lindholm, and Erik Cernak interest me a lot more.  Larsson can be had as a UFA at season's end, and won't break the bank like a Dougie Hamilton might.    After July 1st, you could trade for and sign Lindholm (using the Montour logic from above).   Tampa is also looking to clear cap space and so using our 2021 1st lottery for Cernak might be of mutual interest to both teams (i.e. Tampa reduces cap space + gets a potential game changer, while the Canucks get a solid young asset that fills a huge organizational need even if his ceiling is significantly lower than a lottery pick).   

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Sounds to me like you're describing Erik Cernak.   To a lesser extent, a returning Nikita Tryamkin could be that guy.    While a guy like Hampus Lindholm isn't aggressive per say, he'd be a good 'ying to the yang' of the offensive minded Nate Schmidt.   Lindholm is a top pairing calibre guy that is defensive minded.