The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Brandon Montour is available

2 minutes ago, lmm said:

a couple of weeks ago I said, " the PP was entitled, evidensed by them staying out for 2 minutes" you gave me a 'wat'

last game John said to John, "they're staying out there".. for another 2 minute shift

I thought you might like to comment

wat.

• Haha 2

Canucks should not be interested in any UFAs which costs assets and then cannot re-sign due to cap space. Much like Toffoli although I still think he could have been signed.

not a rebuild just a pause until the 2022 offseason. Canucks should trade Pearson get a solid pick or two because I don’t see how they can resign him due to Hughes and Petey and podkolzin can take his roster spot. 

• Upvote 1

@lmm

that wat was a joke - but I'm still not sure which game, or circumstances you're referring to - I can't even verify if I was trying to give you a beer but you wound up with a sad?   I know there have been a few shifts that really annoyed me where Hughes was double/triple/quadruple shifting - and not necessarily even on the powerplay (at es for example - the one game where Boeser wound up scoring shorthanded after a Hughes penalty at the end of one of those shifts comes to mind).

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

@lmm

that wat was a joke - but I'm still not sure which game, or circumstances you're referring to - I can't even verify if I was trying to give you a beer but you wound up with a sad?   I know there have been a few shifts that really annoyed me where Hughes was double/triple/quadruple shifting - and not necessarily even on the powerplay (at es for example - the one game where Boeser wound up scoring shorthanded after a Hughes penalty at the end of one of those shifts comes to mind).

I think he played the last 3:30 of a loss against Calgary.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

What makes you think Tryamkin will sign here? 

there have been a few very good / solid sources that have indicated it's very possible, if not likely

The first was his team-mate Volkov who was quoted saying (essentially - not going to search it again, but said) Tryamkin talks of returning to Vancouver one day, that he'll likely give it another shot.

There was a second source saying esentially the same thing.

According to TSN the giant defender has his agent in communication with the Canucks GM about a return to the Pacific West Coast. Tryamkin likes what he sees going on in Vancouver with the very skilled and talented young core and it’s the perfect opportunity to play for a team that’s cup window is just beginning to open.

The last part of that "window just beginning to open" part - he might lend a bit of help with....?

• Cheers 1

Just now, oldnews said:

there have been a few very good / solid sources that have indicated it's very possible, if not likely

The first was his team-mate Volkov who was quoted saying (essentially - not going to search it again, but said) Tryamkin talks of returning to Vancouver one day, that he'll likely give it another shot.

There was a second source saying esentially the same thing.

The last part of that "window just beginning to open" part - he might lend a bit of help with....?

His agent was also pretty sour about how the Canucks treated TreeBeard this last year. 

He’s an RFA this year and will be a UFA next season. 

There are many teams that could offer him more than the $2m he was looking for with the Nucks. 

If he agrees to a contract, great. 

Hold your breath. If I was his agent I’d string Vancouver along like they did to him. 

The Nucks aren’t making the playoffs this year, so I expect TreeBeard to become a UFA and sign for top dollar elsewhere. 

If he doesn’t get more then his agent is terrible. 

5 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

This x 100.  

Well done Mr. McGill.

Having said that, I'm not sure if Montour interests me a whole lot.   The Canucks need more of a modern day 'stay at home' type guy.   A legitimate Tanev replacement that could possibly even be an Edler/Tanev hybrid replacement if said dman is capable of playing on a top pairing.

Guys like Adam Larsson, Hampus Lindholm, and Erik Cernak interest me a lot more.  Larsson can be had as a UFA at season's end, and won't break the bank like a Dougie Hamilton might.    After July 1st, you could trade for and sign Lindholm (using the Montour logic from above).   Tampa is also looking to clear cap space and so using our 2021 1st lottery for Cernak might be of mutual interest to both teams (i.e. Tampa reduces cap space + gets a potential game changer, while the Canucks get a solid young asset that fills a huge organizational need even if his ceiling is significantly lower than a lottery pick).   

Tampa is not looking to move Cernak.  Brisebois made it perfectly clear that he’s one of the players they need if they want to win another Cup.  McKenzie has him on their untouchable list.  Tampa’s window is open now and getting a pick does nothing for them when they need a solid D-corps.  If they move the top guys the team becomes less competitive making it harder to win a Cup and limits their window.  The Canucks are also looking to clear cap space but like Tampa, they are likely not looking to move their key players but players lower in the lineup.  

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

His agent was also pretty sour about how the Canucks treated TreeBeard this last year. 

He’s an RFA this year and will be a UFA next season. 

There are many teams that could offer him more than the $2m he was looking for with the Nucks. 

If he agrees to a contract, great. 

Hold your breath. If I was his agent I’d string Vancouver along like they did to him. 

The Nucks aren’t making the playoffs this year, so I expect TreeBeard to become a UFA and sign for top dollar elsewhere. 

If he doesn’t get more then his agent is terrible. 

He turns 27 only in August but next season would have already started (1 July) so he remains Canucks property till the end of 2021/22.  Don’t see why it would be any different from any other RFA.

Edited by mll

8 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

if you can negotiate an extension then its not a rental. It will likely be hard for Buffalo to get any value on this deal, so I'd expect them to be open to that kind of move. 

You mean what they did with Tiffoli?

There's going to be a lot of teams I'm sure JB will be able to profit on and Buffalo is one of them. Ristolainen is of course the best of the bunch, he's playing big minutes this season and having a great season finally, would be lovely to slot him in alongside Juolevi. 

Not sure what they'd want back, probably a scorer.

18 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Canucks are in a position where they can walk away from their head coach instead of firing him, it's been a while since we've allowed a deal to simply expire,

I think you are probably right on this, but after last night.... oof, not so sure. Benning might be on the phone with Julien :lol:

Its a head shaker, but we are now in the position that Ottawa can catch us in wins. Our roster is just not that $&!#ty. 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

I thought he always wanted to continue coaching but Washington didn’t want to pay him what he wanted. I could be wrong. 

His contract had an option for an extra year but he wanted to negotiate a new deal and was looking for 5 years.  McLellan didn’t want to give him the term so he resigned and signed with NYI instead.  Sounded like the term was the bigger issue than the salary with McLellan explaining that it would bring him to nearly 10 years and coaches hardly last that long.

• Cheers 1

On 2/23/2021 at 11:48 PM, DarkIndianRises said:

Sounds to me like you're describing Erik Cernak.   To a lesser extent, a returning Nikita Tryamkin could be that guy.    While a guy like Hampus Lindholm isn't aggressive per say, he'd be a good 'ying to the yang' of the offensive minded Nate Schmidt.   Lindholm is a top pairing calibre guy that is defensive minded.

Yep I know Tryamkin isn’t Cernak but I think with his big wingspan and being a defensive/stay at home Dman he will be serviceable as Hughes partner and will also stop people taking as many liberties with him. 

• Huggy Bear 1