The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

On a positive note: Olli Juolevi is getting better every game

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

1 minute ago, Phil_314 said:

I'm liking his pairing with Myers.  Though he was on the ice for the GWG, can't blame him for that one as he was boxing Khaira out but then it just took a funny bounce.  Edler and Schmidt have had their gaffes and blown coverage, and Benn can't cover everything that Hughes does, but at least this bottom pairing is looking reliable.  Hopefully we could have a shutdown pair in the making as this team could sorely use one.

He's a year or two away from really being solid, but I think his potential is there... assuming he doesn't get injured.

Juolevi and Myers could be a solid pairing for next year.  Hughes needs a new partner and so does Schmidt.  Tryamkin may be the answer to partner with Schmidt.  The big missing piece on D is a partner for Hughes.  Not sure how we are going to acquire that piece.  We may have to give up some young talent.  Or maybe Tampa is the trade partner.  Their cap situation will be horrendous in the offseason.  A deal for Cernak would put Benning back in everyone's good books I think.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Juolevi and Myers could be a solid pairing for next year.  Hughes needs a new partner and so does Schmidt.  Tryamkin may be the answer to partner with Schmidt.  The big missing piece on D is a partner for Hughes.  Not sure how we are going to acquire that piece.  We may have to give up some young talent.  Or maybe Tampa is the trade partner.  Their cap situation will be horrendous in the offseason.  A deal for Cernak would put Benning back in everyone's good books I think.

Luke Schenn

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Putting aside the game result, which I won't comment on... it looks to me that Olli Juolevi is finding his skates in this league.

Kinda reminds me of Dan Hamhuis with his offensive vision... he has an understanding of the pass in the offensive zone and when to jump up... handles the puck with a calmness which is promising.

He isn't putting up the points yet, but I predict he will... he is just starting to get his head wrapped around what he needs to do to contribute.

Defensive play is better too... after the mixed results early on in the season.  His weak point is to get to far into the O-Zone and get caught, but that is improving.

He shows his calmness in the D-Zone too... I think he will be a solid #3 or #4 D if he can put some meat on his bones, get up close to 200 lbs and get some more confidence.

That is great. Keep Hughes, Schmidt and Joulevi, get rid of everyone else on that D. Canucks priority, get a good defensive D and sign Tryamkin.

He's looking like he'll be able to hold down the 3rd pairing for the next little while. Maybe down the line he can hold down the 2nd pairing, but one step at a time. The next step is to use him more heavily on the PK like he was in the AHL and then eventually hop on PP2 as well. 

I've been happy that his lack of quickness hasn't gotten him exposed consistently. He's playing smart and limiting the fast chances against as much as one player can when playing with Myers. 

Definitely proving that he should be kept around. Hopefully we can find a partner for him who is fast and reliable. 

He will be in our top 4 next season, the fact that he's played so well under such a terrible defensive system shows us how good he really is. I'm impressed by how physical he is as well and how many times he wins puck battles. Chatfield was good and skated well but Juolevi is much more safe.

Makes for an interesting point of even needing another top 4 LD next season or do we just let Hughes, Juolevi, Myers and Schmidt run with the ball? I wouldn't mind adding Larsson or of course bring back Edler and Hamonic, but Juolevi has to play 20 minutes a night next season because he's our future. 

Right now in OT 3 on 3 I'd rather the safe Juolevi than what we saw with Hughes against Winnipeg...

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

I'm liking his pairing with Myers.  Though he was on the ice for the GWG, can't blame him for that one as he was boxing Khaira out but then it just took a funny bounce.  Edler and Schmidt have had their gaffes and blown coverage, and Benn can't cover everything that Hughes does, but at least this bottom pairing is looking reliable.  Hopefully we could have a shutdown pair in the making as this team could sorely use one.

OJ Myers and the D pairings finally set and gaining chemistry, is a huge part of what we aren't getting blown out anymore and the past 8 games could just as easily have won 6 of them.   Too bad the team didn't have time to practice and sort some of it out with a pre-season and training camp.   It is what it is - a blown season.   Coaching, the players and the GM are all responsible together as a team, it's not just one element - i'm sure TG and Bomber didn't have them out "practicing" making idiotic passes in the slot infront of our own net - that's almost stopped, with the exception of Miller who hasn't quite got the memo yet. 

Oh well, this for sure was the best year to make a good add to our pool, we need C's D's and a goalie.   

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Those 9 games with Chatfield was another gaffe by green. OJ scores and gets benched? The word dumbass keeps crossing my mind.

Yep.   One also has to wonder if Chatfield getting games was about getting enough to meet the ED requirements, or at least get a feel for where he's at.    

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Yep.   One also has to wonder if Chatfield getting games was about getting enough to meet the ED requirements, or at least get a feel for where he's at.    

If that was the thought then it wasn't a smart decision for winning hockey games. That would be a AHL decision. 

OJ scores and is playing well defensively then gets sat in order to thwart Seattle next year?

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

If that was the thought then it wasn't a smart decision for winning hockey games. That would be a AHL decision. 

He scores and is playing well defensively then gets sat in order to thwart Seattle next year?

Won't disagree with that.   That said you can't argue with the results - OJ isn't injured, he's been slowly gaining minutes and that's how rookies are supposed to be introduced into the NHL.    It's not the reason our record is what it is, with the exception of one terrible Chatfield game - maybe we'd have one more win or OT loss in the column who knows.   Not that concerned about the past it is exactly that - the past.   Now if OJ has a terrible Chatfield game too - i'd be surprised if he was benched at this point - he's gaining capital with the coaching staff at this point and for sure his minutes should keep rising.