The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Would You Do? Pt. 3

Rate this topic

MrCanuck94

What Would You Do? Pt. 3  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think it's time to see the reality of this season. Combination of underwhelming play from guys like Miller, Gaudette and Virtanen to name a few alongside dead money with no value, I think it's time we start to sell off on some assets and see what we can get.

Off the top of my head, I'd dangle Miller, Pearson, Benn, Gaudette, Virtanen, Sutter, Schmidt, Myers and Holtby to see if any team bites and what their offer would be (FYI I'm not saying trade guys like Miller and Schmidt for peanuts, if we can get a solid offer for them, I'd consider a move).

What would you do?

Edited by MrCanuck94
  • Sad 1

Your options are a bit too dichotomous for me. I don't think there's a very realistic chance that we make the playoffs, and I would not like to be buyers at the deadline, but the only assets of value we have to sell are good young players that I'm not really willing to give up for draft picks etc. Hockey trades are fine IMO, but I don't think we need to be buying 30-year old players nor do we need to be selling guys like Miller for 1st round picks etc.

I don't think any of the many scapegoats we have hold much value, so I don't think that unless we're trading legitimately good pieces, we're getting any new young players/draft picks.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Your options are a bit too dichotomous for me. I don't think there's a very realistic chance that we make the playoffs, and I would not like to be buyers at the deadline, but the only assets of value we have to sell are good young players that I'm not really willing to give up for draft picks etc. Hockey trades are fine IMO, but I don't think we need to be buying 30-year old players nor do we need to be selling guys like Miller for 1st round picks etc.

I don't think any of the many scapegoats we have hold much value, so I don't think that unless we're trading legitimately good pieces, we're getting any new young players/draft picks.

Yeah I understand, by lateral I was meaning more trading our player(s) for other player(s) in similar age/situation and hoping those players or the changes in general create a spark for the team (ex. Virtanen for Bennett).

There is value in Pearson and Sutter and maybe even Benn at the trade deadline to a Cup contender or a team that wants to push for the playoffs.  They all have expiring contracts so the only issue is fitting them under the cap for the remainder of the season.  The Canucks could retain 50% salary of Pearson and Sutter and replace them with 2 young prospects.  If we can acquire a couple of extra draft picks then we can package those in the summer with Loui to try and get his contract off the books.  Freeing up that $6 million will allow us flexibility to acquire a top Dman to play with Hughes.

• Thanks 1

Don't do a full blown firesale, just sell the best 1-2 assets. Probably Pearson (2nd + mid pick or prospect) and Sutter (mid pick), both with retention. Podkolzin steps in to replace Pearson right away and run Gaudette at C for the rest of the year I guess. 

In the offseason use one or more picks (including the extra ones) to get out of a contract. That's where we'll see the highest return. 

• Upvote 1

I voted tank for assets and draft pick. But that just what i want.

Nashville is blowing it up, arizona about to, buffalo might shake things up, wild could blow it up, san jose anaheim la will probably be sellers.

I doubt we get anything better than a 4th or 5th round pick for anybody we have to trade

Edited by internationalhippy

Holtby ain't going anywhere due to expansion draft requirements.

Schmidt is a good d-men that we shouldn't be trading for the sake of trading. Give him a chance with a more competent coach than Baumer. 

No one taking Myers with that contract.

Everyone else of little value to other teams but sure, more later round picks ain't gonna hurt this year. 

I don't think we're mathematically out of the playoffs just yet. 

But with the way this team has been constructed and how they're playing. It's not looking promising. 

I think the players know it. The coaches know they're basically out of it. Management knows it. Ownership has to know it. 

Fans know it. Everyone knows we're pretty much out of the playoff picture by this point. 

It's time to sell off our vets, something Benning has not done well the last 7 years of his tenure as GM of this franchise. For a man who is touted as being a great drafter, he loves to give them away like they're candy. I really don't understand that logic and rationale. 

38 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Holtby ain't going anywhere due to expansion draft requirements.

Schmidt is a good d-men that we shouldn't be trading for the sake of trading. Give him a chance with a more competent coach than Baumer. 

No one taking Myers with that contract.

Everyone else of little value to other teams but sure, more later round picks ain't gonna hurt this year. 

I would entertain trading for a RHD of equal value.

If I were management I wouldn't make a rash decision like firing the GM but the coach can go. The Canucks have to be careful because on paper I thought they were a playoff team, especially considering 0.500 gets you just about in, whereas on ice we've been the 3rd worst team in the NHL. 

Entire coaching staff has to go of course but I wouldn't move players just yet because we've got a good squad. We've got just about 3 if not 4 (with Petey) point per game forwards - more than most teams. We've got a top 10 PK. We've got a future star goalie. We've got the leading scoring defenceman and Myers and Schmidt, two recently top-2 defenders on other teams.

This team is still solid and will be for some time, we just need someone who knows how to make the players work well together, and having an aggressive 2 man forecheck and pinching D man at the same time leading to odd man rushes in the neutral zone on every play isn't it. This team needs composure right now and it's not coming from Green who, like most young stubborn coaches, isn't changing his gameplan. Of course it looks nice on the players who are racking up points, but it's destroying our defence and our goalies' GAA is taking the brunt of it.

When you've got a team that is top 10 on the PK but bottom 3 in goals against, you know there's a coaching problem, not a player problem. These players can defend well, but 5 on 5 Green's system is leaving them out to dry.

i think aqualini needs to make a decision and decide if benning is the guy moving forward.. if benning is the guy moving forward then he needs to consider doing a coaching change now rather than wait for the off season.. at least the coach will have 3/4 of a season to figure out what players he can keep and whether or not the players are just playing in a bad system or what not and then we can go into the offseason knowing what we need to do.

But sell of assets should have been last year. 
Benning should have sold the MVP goalie Marky when he had the chance and cash in on Tanev.

Demko has been the long time sollution so why didn’t Benning make that move.

instead they rode Marky and lured us into believing in something Benning/Green knew before couldn’t  be.

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

But sell of assets should have been last year. 
Benning should have sold the MVP goalie Marky when he had the chance and cash in on Tanev.

Demko has been the long time sollution so why didn’t Benning make that move.

instead they rode Marky and lured us into believing in something Benning/Green knew before couldn’t  be.

It was about playoffs.  Markstrom wouldn't have gotten us much back ... after the TT trade there was only one direction.