The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Alex Burrows named assistant coach of Montreal Canadians

Rate this topic

AriGold2.0

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Quebec is a very unique province.  Language is a primary / fundamental  concern to its citizens.  

The Montreal Canadiens head coach must speak both English and French.

Montreal has the second-most native French speakers in the world. The major city in the province of Quebec is the center of French-Canadian culture.

The city needs media available in both French and English, and therefore the Canadiens deal with media in both languages. If the head coach cannot speak both languages, then he cannot effectively communicate with the media. His connection to the entire fanbase would then be impaired.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1237613-montreal-canadiens-6-qualities-an-ideal-habs-coach-must-possess#:~:text=The major city in the,effectively communicate with the media.

Again. I’m saying I know it matters. But it shouldn’t. The Canadiens are hamstrung by it. They have to pick from a very small pool of candidates.  What other team would have hired Therien as their head coach TWICE.  The media should be a secondary thought.  Imagine if Scotty Bowman hadn’t spoken French.  It’s ridiculous 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Again. I’m saying I know it matters. But it shouldn’t. The Canadiens are hamstrung by it. They have to pick from a very small pool of candidates.  What other team would have hired Therien as their head coach TWICE.  The media should be a secondary thought.  Imagine if Scotty Bowman hadn’t spoken French.  It’s ridiculous 

Yah i see your point.   I have been very fortunate to have been able to spend quite a bit of time in Quebec.  Such an amazing province and the Francophone culture is so proud and strong.   Preservation of the French language is paramount to preserving their culture.    Any act that weakens the french langauge in that province is a no go.

Yes winning a Cup there is super imporant. Quebec is the place in Canada with the strongest love of hockey in my opinion... but one thing even more important that a cup in Quebec is...... for the preservation of the French Language / French culture.  

Again this is my opinion from my time i have spent there.     Great to discuss with you and we can keep our own opinions. I like how we can discuss without trashing each others opinions. 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yah i see your point.   I have been very fortunate to have been able to spend quite a bit of time in Quebec.  Such an amazing province and the Francophone culture is so proud and strong.   Preservation of the French language is paramount to preserving their culture.    Any act that weakens the french langauge in that province is a no go.

Yes winning a Cup there is super imporant. Quebec is the place in Canada with the strongest love of hockey in my opinion... but one thing even more important that a cup in Quebec is...... for the preservation of the French Language / French culture.  

Again this is my opinion from my time i have spent there.     Great to discuss with you and we can keep our own opinions. I like how we can discuss without trashing each others opinions. 

Absolutely.  I was raised a Habs fan.  I’ve been to Montreal a couple times and loved it.  My dad came from a small French community and only spoke French until his early 20’s.  I feel like have a sense of the importance of the culture.  

That said, they’rethe only team that’s constrained by such a restriction.  It, along with Quebec’s provincial tax, puts the Canadiens at a distinct competitive disadvantage.  at some point it may come down to a decision between icing the best team possible or adhering to the policy. The thing is. There would need to by buy in from the media and public.  I remember the horror show it was when Cunneyworth was named interim head coach. The guy was crucified. 

Edited by qwijibo
  • Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Montreal 4/8 since Burrows took over the PP.  Their special teams I were a huge contributing factor to Julien losing his job. It’s encouraging to see the turnaround on the PP so far 

Just goes to show someone coming in with a new fresh approach can make all the difference.

Brown is as stale as they come in terms of predictable power play structures and execution. Makes it so easy for the opposition.

• Cheers 1

On 3/4/2021 at 5:51 PM, qwijibo said:

Montreal 4/8 since Burrows took over the PP.  Their special teams I were a huge contributing factor to Julien losing his job. It’s encouraging to see the turnaround on the PP so far 

I'd love to see Burr have a lot of success there. Just not against us ^_^

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

Anyone hoping for him to coach in Vancouver could have a long wait 

in due time. I'd like him to have a few more years on the bench anyway, I'd hate to see him come here and poop the bed due to inexperience. 

2 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Anyone hoping for him to coach in Vancouver could have a long wait 

Wouldn't be surprised to see him coach the Habs at some point, the number of coaches who fit their.. unique coaching criteria isn't the largest. 

That being said, coaches all have a shelf life so I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a stop here in some capacity at some point. 

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/alex-burrows-chirped-chasing-dream-canucks-canadiens

Alex Burrows on getting chirped, chasing a dream in NHL return

Mar 9 2021, 6:03 pm

There was never much doubt that Alex Burrows would have a career in hockey if he wanted one, following the end of his playing career.

Well known as a student of the game during the course of his 913-game NHL career with the Vancouver Canucks and Ottawa Senators, few players thought the game as well as Burrows.

It was, however, a surprise that he ended up back in the NHL so soon, after retiring as a player three years ago.

Hired as an assistant coach with the Montreal Canadiens’ AHL affiliate in Laval in 2018, it took less than three years for Burrows to earn an NHL promotion. When Dominique Ducharme was hired as Claude Julien’s replacement on February 24, Burrows was elevated into an assistant coaching role with the Habs.

“I didn’t think it was going to happen this quick,” Burrows told reporters today, from Vancouver. “I was really shocked. I didn’t expect the call, but at the same time I was really excited, really thrilled to get a chance to get back in the NHL with my childhood team, and to chase that Lord Stanley again.”

Burrows didn’t exactly ease into his new role either.

There are not many places like Montreal in terms of media scrutiny, as evidenced by the fact that Burrows — an assistant coach — spoke to reporters for a whopping 49 minutes today in English and French.

ADVERTISEMENT

Burrows was given a rather large responsibility, being immediately put in charge of the team’s power play. So far so good, as the Canadiens have the best power play percentage in the league since the former ball hockey star took over.

What Burrows learned with the Canucks

Burrows famously didn’t play a lot on the power play as a player with the Canucks, with Alain Vigneault usually only giving him second-unit time, even when he was a 30-goal scorer playing on the first line with the Sedins. Even when he wasn’t a part of either power play unit, Burrows said he always made sure to sit in on the power play meetings — a surefire sign that he would make a good coach some day.

“What else was I going to do?” Burrows explained. “I might as well try to learn more, see what our power play was going to try to do, and if I was the next man up I wanted to make sure that I knew what my route was going to be, what my role was going to be, what I should be looking for.

ADVERTISEMENT

“So that’s why I would go in there, sit in these meetings, and I just liked it, that’s pretty much it.

“Instead of eating bagels in the lounge, I would rather be in there making sure that if my name was called upon to be the next guy up, I was going to be ready for it.”

On what he picked up from his longtime linemates Henrik and Daniel Sedin, Burrows said they were “experts at simple plays.”

“It wasn’t always that crazy between the leg saucer pass, back door, and the tic tac toes. The way they had success was by keeping it simple, over and over and over, and becoming experts at that. It comes down to execution, it comes down with knowing where teammates are going to be on the ice.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Players chirping him

Still just 39 years old, Burrows is closer in age to many of the players than he is to members of the Canadiens coaching staff. He’s just four years older than Corey Perry and Shea Weber for instance, two players he battled with many times during his career.

That makes him a bit more like a friend that players can talk to, rather than a father figure, Burrows says. It might also make him more vulnerable to chirps.

During Monday’s morning skate, Burrows said some of the Canadiens players had some fun at his expense, pointing out his image in the Ring of Honour in Rogers Arena.

“The boys, they reminded me in morning skate that my name was up there and they were giving me their chirps — ‘How did you get up there?’ — I heard it all yesterday from the players. They were joking with it, it was fine with me.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Burrows is no stranger to dishing out chirps, of course, so those players better be ready to take it too.

Still chasing that dream

On his approach to coaching, Burrows had a simple but inspiring answer: be yourself.

“Everybody says the same thing, try to be yourself. Don’t try to be someone else. Be yourself and that’s what brought you here. That’s how I made my career, I never really changed, I always tried to be a hard worker,” said Burrows.

“Every day in the NHL is always a great day. And now that I’m here, I won’t start changing the way I am. I’m going to be myself and that’s what brought me here, that’s what gave me the career I had, so why change now?”

Burrows’ rags to riches story is well known, working his way up from the ECHL, to the AHL, then to the NHL as a checker and agitator. He was never supposed to be more than a third or fourth line grinder, but he ended up carving a pretty nice career as a goal-scorer. But through it all, he had the same dream as every other hockey player, to win the Stanley Cup, and his dream as a coach is no different.

“I’ve pretty much seen it all, played at all. Obviously, there’s only one thing missing. If I can do it as a coach, I’ll be extremely happy.

“I’m still chasing that dream.”

• Cheers 1

• 3 months later...

This is another prime example imo and why Green shouldn't of been resigned. St Louis fired their coach and won the cup, Habs fired their coach and now their in the final 4. Canucks resign the coach who has a worse record then their previous coach and the owner comes out and says the coach has shown signs of improving every year to be resigned :picard:

6 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

This is another prime example imo and why Green shouldn't of been resigned. St Louis fired their coach and won the cup, Habs fired their coach and now their in the final 4. Canucks resign the coach who has a worse record then their previous coach and the owner comes out and says the coach has shown signs of improving every year to be resigned :picard:

I'm all for replacing Green when there's a clear improvement available.  For now, getting rid of Brown and limiting the damage Baumgartner can do should improve things a lot.  The assistants were the main problem last year.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

I'm all for replacing Green when there's a clear improvement available.  For now, getting rid of Brown and limiting the damage Baumgartner can do should improve things a lot.  The assistants were the main problem last year.

Clear improvement available.... What's considered a clear improvement then in your eyes over a coach who can barley reach a .500 winning percentage. 

3 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Clear improvement available.... What's considered a clear improvement then in your eyes over a coach who can barley reach a .500 winning percentage. 

Ideally, a proven NHL coach who has a style that will work with our core.  Most guys like that don't stay unemployed for long.  Shaw is also a guy who could be given a shot if needed.  

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Ideally, a proven NHL coach who has a style that will work with our core.  Most guys like that don't stay unemployed for long.  Shaw is also a guy who could be given a shot if needed.  

So our coach obviously doesn't work with our core then :lol:, because if he did the results would of shown that, and clearly watching the Canucks early this year it was a mess, this is before covid happened to them.

3 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

So our coach obviously doesn't work with our core then :lol:, because if he did the results would of shown that, and clearly watching the Canucks early this year it was a mess, this is before covid happened to them.

Worked fine in the bubble.  I'm willing to give him a chance to see what he can do without incompetent assistants sabotaging the team.

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Worked fine in the bubble.  I'm willing to give him a chance to see what he can do without incompetent assistants sabotaging the team.

Well that's exactly why I brought up the beginning of this season instead of after covid, the argument of his first successful season in the bubble should of transitioned into the beginning of this season, but it didn't instead it was a complete mess, it was so bad even Don Cherry had to make a comment after one of their Leafs games, that the Canucks played like they wanted the coach fired, I guy with as much hockey knowledge as Don Cherry who has watched god who knows how many hockey games in his life, could see that, says different imo.