The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposals] With an eye to the future

Provost

8 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

I mostly agree with your post. The biggest thing that worries me right now are that the poor performances this season are coming from the young core and top 6 guys that we intend to keep. It makes sense to move Sutter, Pearson, Benn (not Edler as he has NMC, is a total beast and we should resign him for another year) but these guys are actually playing really well. They are overpaid but they are NOT the problem this season. The team you list for next season has many players that are just not performing right now.

The 3C position is interesting. I would love to see Lowry as the target for this. He is solid offensively and defensively, plays the PK, is big and not afraid to throw with the big boys if needed: Adam Lowry vs Ryan Reaves Nov 2, 2019 - YouTube

Honestly Virtanen has underperformed for long enough with enough coaches to know what we have. He is a floater, he needs to be moved so we can use that cap and spot for a decent player.

Gaudette is a different story. He has played less than half the NHL games JV has played. He puts in lots of effort and determination. Not sure if Gaudette is suitable as 3C or 4C but it doesn't make sense to move him now, as his value is so low. May as well resign him for $1m x 2 years and hold onto him (even as a versatile 13th forward for now) and see if he can develop his way into an impact player, perhaps wing or 4C.

With regards to the poor performances of our young core, which players do you have in mind?  

-Pettersson started off slow but has looked good as of late.

-Horvat had played well

-Boeser looks like he did two years ago

-Hughes’ defensive game hasn’t looked that great but that was never his strong suit....and he still looks great offensively.

-Juolevi and Hoglander look like legit NHLers and have really impressed.  
-Demko has been solid given his lack of defensive help.

While MacEwen has been average, Virtanen and Gaudette have struggled unfortunately.  

For the most part though, I think our young guys have been pretty good?

Miller and Schmidt are the two guys I was expecting a LOT more out of.  Schmidt has been decent, but nowhere near the star player that he’s capable of being.

On 2/24/2021 at 9:34 AM, Provost said:

Now that we can pretty much put a pin on this season, what are the moves we can make to set us up for expansion, the offseason, and future seasons.

1.  Obviously trade all the expiring contracts for picks.  Any or even all of the guys you can unload from the list of:Pearson, Sutter, Benn, Hamonic, Baertschi, Roussel, Beagle.  Do it fast to let us eat as much of the ELC bonuses this year as possible and not push them.

2.  Trade Virtanen+ (Gaudette?) to Buffalo for Borgen. They can’t protect him and their season is pretty much done too.

3.  Sign Connor Murphy and Tryamkin in the offseason.

4.  Find a 3C exposed in expansion using  the draft picks we acquire from our rentals this season.  A guy like Tierney if he is available because Ottawa decides to protect all younger cheaper players.

A defence next year with some size and mobility, but also cheap enough to be realistic with our cap situation.

Hughes-Murphy

Borgen-Schmidt

Juolevi-Myers

Tryamkin

Two questions.

1. Will Nolan Bumgardener still be the defensive coach?

2. Am I the only one that sees the following visual when pronouncing the bolded words?

Swedish Chef Cooking GIF

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Two questions.

1. Will Nolan Bumgardener still be the defensive coach?

2. Am I the only one that sees the following visual when pronouncing the bolded words?

Swedish Chef Cooking GIF

I would doubt that many will be left in the organization unless the team can somehow turn this season around to look at least respectable.

It will be up to the new GM. 

• Vintage 1