The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | February 25, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN

Rate this topic

-SN-

I wonder if they’d Replace Green with Smyl as a temp coach? They did show him in the broadcast, mentioned his many roles with the team including coaching and as he’s already on the payroll, Aquaman wouldn’t have to spend more money. 

• Cheers 2
  • RoughGame 3

11 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Not too pile on the offseason, but just imagine a roster with Tanev & Toffoli instead of dead cap space like Roussel & Loui.

Lotto line 

Pearson - Horvat - Toffoli

Hoglander - Sutter - Gaudette

Motte - Beagle - Virtanen

Hughes - Tanev

Edler - Schmidt

Juolevi - Myers

Its a shame.

You know what’s crazy about this? if we just handed Demko the reigns all out and not paid Holtby 4.5M + let Jake walk this could have been possible

• Sad 1
  • RoughGame 3

Pretty poor performance

Demko and Hogs  came to play

Not sure who was floating around in the rest of those jerseys. Certainly don't look anything like last years players

The positive - we still have canuck hockey - hard to watch hockey

• RoughGame 2

Green "when you are not playing well, you get frustrated...when you are playing well and you don't get the results, you start to bang your head against the wall"....oh, so that is where all the hitting is going....against the wall as opposed to against the opposition...mystery solved

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 2

2 minutes ago, khay said:

True true... It's a sad reality. Your rookie is your best player and puts in the work to try to galvanize the team.

Jake was good today too.

No , Jake wasn't absolutely terrible today. We are starting to accept that as a win. 

• Haha 3
  • RoughGame 2

1 minute ago, Brad Marchand said:

Nobody in the organization deserves a free pass. No one. When the collective product is this bad, every single person should be held accountable.

The roster construction isn't good enough. Too many players who do the same thing, nothing that separates them from the league-average player. Forwards aren't exceptionally fast, big, strong, or skilled with the puck. Defence group as a whole isn't exceptionally mobile, skilled with the puck, good at holding the offensive or defensive blue line, or moving the puck out of the zone. Goaltending might be the only area that isn't a completely glaring weakness, even though I'd describe them at best as slightly above average as a tandem.

The coaching isn't good enough to overcome the roster deficiencies. No ability to prevent zone entries, routinely get hemmed in their own zone for minutes at a time, default strategy seems to be to collapse to the slot and hope for the best. Instantly wilt whenever they face an aggressive forecheck. Way too reliant on rush offense and one-and-done chances, no consistent ability to sustain offensive zone pressure or genrate second-chance opportunities. Completely static and predictable powerplay that can't gain the zone to save its life.

There are useful pieces on this team that can be used to build a contender with the right moves. But the roster as it's built right now won't accomplish anything. Maybe management knew this the whole time. I just wish they had the balls to admit when they've come up short for once.

This post should be archived here so that we can look back and remember exactly what happened.   Beauty.

Hell, id type it in huge font on a banner and raise it to the rafters with 20-21 written underneath. 

• RoughGame 2

Not gonna lie. Losing sucks, but I'm looking forward to adding a stud D prospect to our lineup from this upcoming draft. A lot of great ones to choose from including another Hughes. And honestly, I don't think we were ever CUP material without adding another one - that's all I care about. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 2

1 minute ago, Jack Fig said:

Agree with the second tweet ..... between minute 1 and minute 60, the pucks aren't going in. 

Imagine getting paid to say that $&!# out loud? Seriously? It's hilarious, and sad.

Edited by xereau
  • RoughGame 2