The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | February 25, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN

Rate this topic

-SN-

9 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

Why cannot we get one win... The talent is there, or in theory there is enough, but holy crap we are just awful, I want to be hopeful but for the future, but I don't see the league handing us a high draft pick either. 

And the media has this weird belief that Travis Green is some sort of genius, when it is worse than with Willie D. 

This team is playing worse than it is.  But it was a borderline playoff team last year that most experts predicted would take a step back.  

• RoughGame 2

I know it's redundant, but I think Green owes us fans a good explanation of why he would sit Juolevi, he deserves to play, he's been one of my favorite Canucks to watch, and seems to keep getting better, I am starting to get fed up with this coach. 

• Hydration 3
  • RoughGame 2

14 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

This team is playing worse than it is.  But it was a borderline playoff team last year that most experts predicted would take a step back.  

Here is the question that keeps nagging me...........

If Benning had any idea that last year was a one off, and we were going to fall back, why did he go and invest in Toffoli and Miller?

I mean, these type of moves are an indication that the club is moving forward and getting better.......

But if he did not know..............why the hell not? To me, this is why he should be fired, he is paid to know

He basically painted himself into a corner, with Myers, Toffoli and Miller, which is 16 Million and which set us back, when you look at it

The 16 million would have let us buy dead end contracts.....or Toews (Colorado)or a number of others, and we would still be sitting with

Madden, 2020 1st, 2020 2nd, and still had money to buy Duclair, Wennberg, and Hoffman at a hell of alot less ( 8 millionish)

Aqualini really screwed up, as he should have probably listened to Linden, and canned Benning, this rebuild was not finished and we still would have been in a better spot

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Like 1
  • Hydration 2
  • RoughGame 1

One of the biggest issues is the PP. Last year we were #4 in the league at 24.2%, right now we are 23rd in the league at 15.9%. The teams not good enough, (and it wasn't last season either), for us to be a bottom 3rd PP. It needs to be top 10.

Then secondary scoring; Virtanen (21g/42p pace) & Gaudette (16g/45p pace) were important secondary scorers last season. This year they have a combined 3 points in 39 games. Tanner Pearson's offense has taken a step back. Josh Leivo was really productive - 19pts - in the 36 games he played. 

Just comparing to Leivo's production: I don't see any of these secondary guys - and you can include Hoglander, tho he's played very well - getting to Leivo's 19 points in 36 games. Hog & Pearson are the best bets & they have 9 points in 24 games. 

The 5 on 5 play has improved lately - Schmidt has been picking it up. Our goaltending has improved lately with Demko taking the reigns. But these^ are issues our team isn't strong enough to succeed through - primarily the PP. 

• RoughGame 1

Good efforts from most players, and truthfully speaking I hope there's no fire sale from this roster, just that the dead weights need to fall off.

The only players who have been glaringly bad have probably been Jake and Roussel (I hope we replace Edler too, given his lack of foot speed), but the 1st and 3rd lines looked good.  Give them time and they can probably gel and provide some quality depth.  If they trade Jake and Roussel say for a pick, next season maybe we can see

Hoglander - Pete - Brock (they didn't look too bad)
(Pearson) - Bo - Podkolzin 
________ - Miller - Gaudette (they're hardworking and Miller's gotten some passes through)
Motte - Beagle - MacEwen 
/Hawryluk?

Hughes - ______ (this is still a glaring need)
Schmidt - Hamonic
Juolevi - Myers

• RoughGame 1

Just now, Devron44 said:

Maybe he doesn’t want to sit at home. Idk. 

Generally you only see the interim tag added when someone is promoted from within the organization before a full search has been done.  I don’t think I’ve every seen someone brought in from outside the organization and given the interim tag. If Vancouver hires Julien it won’t be interim 

• RoughGame 1

5 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Generally you only see the interim tag added when someone is promoted from within the organization before a full search has been done.  I don’t think I’ve every seen someone brought in from outside the organization and given the interim tag. If Vancouver hires Julien it won’t be interim 

julien is still getting paid by MTL........I doubt with Covid he wants to come out here away from his family...or move them while school is in

Edit....probably does not have kid home still

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • RoughGame 1