The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | February 25, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN

Rate this topic

-SN-

22 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Here is the question that keeps nagging me...........

If Benning had any idea that last year was a one off, and we were going to fall back, why did he go and invest in Toffoli and Miller?

I mean, these type of moves are an indication that the club is moving forward and getting better.......

But if he did not know..............why the hell not? To me, this is why he should be fired, he is paid to know

He basically painted himself into a corner, with Myers, Toffoli and Miller, which is 16 Million and which set us back, when you look at it

The 16 million would have let us buy dead end contracts.....or Toews (Colorado)or a number of others, and we would still be sitting with

Madden, 2020 1st, 2020 2nd, and still had money to buy Duclair, Wennberg, and Hoffman at a hell of alot less ( 8 millionish)

Aqualini really screwed up, as he should have probably listened to Linden, and canned Benning, this rebuild was not finished and we still would have been in a better spot

Covid. Covid happened.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 3
  • RoughGame 2

Just now, qwijibo said:

Generally you only see the interim tag added when someone is promoted from within the organization before a full search has been done.  I don’t think I’ve every seen someone brought in from outside the organization and given the interim tag. If Vancouver hires Julien it won’t be interim 

It’s not an ordinary season. With quarantining etc. Just thought it would be good for both Julien and Canucks to see if there was a fit. The odds aren’t in Juliens favour to get back at it this season so I figured that could be an option and worth exploring as he’s already in Canada. I don’t think it would be wise to just hand a guy a contract that got fired from a winning team right now. Something needs/should change for the sake of our players but hiring the wrong guy long term could turn into another fiasco. Obviously Owners aren’t interested in investing money if they aren’t certain they have the right guy. Still nothing might happen until the off season

• RoughGame 1

7 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Generally you only see the interim tag added when someone is promoted from within the organization before a full search has been done.  I don’t think I’ve every seen someone brought in from outside the organization and given the interim tag. If Vancouver hires Julien it won’t be interim 

Desjardins with LA was brought in on an interim basis. 

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

It’s not an ordinary season. With quarantining etc. Just thought it would be good for both Julien and Canucks to see if there was a fit. The odds aren’t in Juliens favour to get back at it this season so I figured that could be an option and worth exploring as he’s already in Canada. I don’t think it would be wise to just hand a guy a contract that got fired from a winning team right now. Something needs/should change for the sake of our players but hiring the wrong guy long term could turn into another fiasco. Obviously Owners aren’t interested in investing money if they aren’t certain they have the right guy. Still nothing might happen until the off season

Julien is being paid $5m a season through the end of next season.  He can afford to wait for the right fit. 

• RoughGame 1

Just now, qwijibo said:

Julien is being paid $5m a season through the end of next season.  He can afford to wait for the right fit. 

I understand. as I said earlier maybe he’s not the type of guy that likes to sit around. Worth a phone call. I’m not saying it’s a real possibility but nothing is unless you ask

• RoughGame 1

19 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Good efforts from most players, and truthfully speaking I hope there's no fire sale from this roster, just that the dead weights need to fall off.

The only players who have been glaringly bad have probably been Jake and Roussel (I hope we replace Edler too, given his lack of foot speed), but the 1st and 3rd lines looked good.  Give them time and they can probably gel and provide some quality depth.  If they trade Jake and Roussel say for a pick, next season maybe we can see

Hoglander - Pete - Brock (they didn't look too bad)
(Pearson) - Bo - Podkolzin 
________ - Miller - Gaudette (they're hardworking and Miller's gotten some passes through)
Motte - Beagle - MacEwen 
/Hawryluk?

Hughes - ______ (this is still a glaring need)
Schmidt - Hamonic
Juolevi - Myers

Virtanen was one of the best players tonight

• Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

I understand. as I said earlier maybe he’s not the type of guy that likes to sit around. Worth a phone call. I’m not saying it’s a real possibility but nothing is unless you ask

I can’t see how you possibly sell him in the idea.  

“Hey Claude.  We know you just got fired from a team with a much better record. But we’d like you to take on the tire fire here on an interim basis with no security.  If you can’t turn it around in 30-ish games we’ll let you go for the second time this year. “

• RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I can’t see how you possibly sell him in the idea.  

“Hey Claude.  We know you just got fired from a team with a much better record. But we’d like you to take on the tire fire here on an interim basis with no security.  If you can’t turn it around in 30-ish games we’ll let you go for the second time this year. “

Not sure why you’re picking me apart man was just a thought 

Edited by Devron44
  • Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

31 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Here is the question that keeps nagging me...........

If Benning had any idea that last year was a one off, and we were going to fall back, why did he go and invest in Toffoli and Miller?

I mean, these type of moves are an indication that the club is moving forward and getting better.......

But if he did not know..............why the hell not? To me, this is why he should be fired, he is paid to know

He basically painted himself into a corner, with Myers, Toffoli and Miller, which is 16 Million and which set us back, when you look at it

The 16 million would have let us buy dead end contracts.....or Toews (Colorado)or a number of others, and we would still be sitting with

Madden, 2020 1st, 2020 2nd, and still had money to buy Duclair, Wennberg, and Hoffman at a hell of alot less ( 8 millionish)

Aqualini really screwed up, as he should have probably listened to Linden, and canned Benning, this rebuild was not finished and we still would have been in a better spot

Forgot to reply to the last part.

Going with Linden's plan, we will be exactly where we are right now with the window most likely opening in 2022. Guess we will not have Miller but that is beside the point as whomever we would have pick is gonna be like Miller either way. 

Crying over Linden is just crying over spoiled milk, at the end nothing would have been different with or without him.

• RoughGame 1

9 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

The question is. Why is the PP so bad compared to last year when it’s the exact same 5 man unit. To me that says the players are good enough and the coaching is not 

For me it shows that our top players are not sharp and dedicated enough this year.  

They’re looking for a way out of the semi bubble that is this year’s NHL season. It’s disappointing but I get it.  

Would you want to be a 21 year old that’s stuck being alone for half the season when you’re on the road? 

That’s my theory 

1 hour ago, RichieCanuck said:

What a stupid decision, Juolevi deserves to play. 

Harmonic wasn't bad tonight, but yeah, Olli deserves to play. If you were the gauge all 6 D-men the last 2 weeks and had to take a guy out , strictly performanced based, I'd probably say Edler has been the worst out of all 6

• RoughGame 1

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

For me it shows that our top players are not sharp and dedicated enough this year.  

They’re looking for a way out of the semi bubble that is this year’s NHL season. It’s disappointing but I get it.  

Would you want to be a 21 year old that’s stuck being alone for half the season when you’re on the road? 

That’s my theory 

Could be. In fairness I think every possibility has be floated around. Players not trying, players sad other players left, coaches suck, gm sucks, owners suck, schedule, culture, leadership. I think there’s some bad luck in there too honestly. The team has played well enough to win these last handful of games. 

Just really bizarre all around.

• Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Could be. In fairness I think every possibility has be floated around. Players not trying, players sad other players left, coaches suck, gm sucks, owners suck, schedule, culture, leadership. I think there’s some bad luck in there too honestly. The team has played well enough to win these last handful of games. 

I think just about the only thing you can’t point the finger at is goaltending.  Could it be better?  Sure, but it’s so far down the list of “problems” imho.

• Cheers 2
  • RoughGame 1

This is pretty funny. Oilers looked like they were on cruising mode beating us. It's like winning isn't even a question vs us. This is getting from disappointing to embarrassing fast. 

12 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

That’s my theory 

So your theory is our top players are a bunch of unprofessional ungrateful douches who are getting paid millions to work for 5 months but would rather not give their fullest and slack it off? 

• RoughGame 1

4 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Yeah, I don't think you can point it to coaching, I just feel that when theres a mistake, its ends up being really bad. The give aways turn out to be breakaways or shots in prime scoring areas

• RoughGame 1