The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | February 25, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN

Rate this topic

-SN-

15 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I usually have nothing to good to say about Lazy Jake, but he did have one of those rare games where he was engaged.  Besides the two dumb penalties in the first, the fall in the corner losing the puck - almost resulting in a goal and some missed shots on the net , he did have a couple of good plays.   Hopefully we won't have to wait another 24 games to see him engaged again but somehow think it won't continue.

LOL   - RU SERIOUS ?

More serious than the majority of your posts.

• Thanks 1
  • RoughGame 1

2 hours ago, Jam126 said:

This is very funny. I keep getting fooled that we may have a chance every season, but then the Canucks remind me that there is no chance ever. I have resigned to the fact that the Canucks will never ever win anything ever. 

I hear you, but if the Chicago Cubs, a team supposedly cursed for more than a century, can win a championship, there’s hope for anyone

• Cheers 2
  • RoughGame 1

4 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Teams have probably figured them out. Need to figure out how to change it up.

Player movement and a different deployment of players. The problem is, the coaches have no imagination, and/or are clinging to what they believe is their best option to save their asses, which clearly isn't working. 

• Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

7 hours ago, appleboy said:

Green is very politely trying to say what a lot of us think. The Canucks are still not very good!

Jim needs to stop looking for a quick fix and take time to finish the rebuild. I worry he will flip our first round pick (one that could be top five) for a middle age project to SAVE the day. This is when I want Jim gone.

The top young forward that he is looking for is in Russia. Plus Hoglander is a rookie be patient. 

Trade for picks and bring up the 22/23 year olds that we have in our system. Their as good as any player that some team is looking to offer up to fleece Jim of his 1st round pick . This team is close . As fans we need to shout out the fact that we will be patient. 

Can you fans be patient? Let the rebuild be completed the right way?

As of right now they have some tough decisions coming up.   First thing is coaching.   TG wont be getting another deal after this mess.   All staff will go too.

Toughest part is analyzing whether this team has a shot with Horvat and Miller, or if they should be trading one or both to boost EP and QHs chances when they are a similar age.    Not a chance most on this forum have a stomach for that - but without emotion attached to it, from a pure logic viewpoint, it makes a lot of sense as providing a better chance at winning a cup with this core.  

It also means another three years without much of any playoff aspirations, and a new set of placeholders coming in...for these reasons i highly doubt that will happen, but do think as fans we could regret they didn't.   Both Horvat and Miller would give the Canucks the boost the previous core never did allow for.   

Another option is to do another Miller trade .... trade our first to a team for a blue chip player to plug a whole.   Not a fan of this - but it of course depends on the player, how well he plays, and what hole he's filling.   Nobody was disappointed with the Miller trade, and really still shouldn't be - he's for sure still a tradeable  asset, who's stock has gone up since we picked him up - for now at least. 

I'd give it one more year - keep our pick and use it wisely,  D most likely, although C would be fine too...and trade whomever we can to both clear up cap and add a few more late round picks.   Pearson for sure as doubt he's back,  Sutter if we can too.   Get a new coach in there working with the players and have them all come in early before camp to start working on it.   The team isn't as bad as our record for sure at the moment, but i also remember how well we played last year too..with all three UFAs we didn't sign, Stecher and Leivo etc.  

Team needs one more top pairing all around D, a Mitchell type to play with Hughes, a third line C, and one more blue chip top six player, and a top ten goalie.    Podz likely fill the latter.   Demko is a work in progress so maybe that too.   This years pick hopefully will fill the good all around top pairing role or third line C eventual Horvat replacement... free agency hopefully the rest.   It for sure can happen still, but a lot still has to happen for this core to become a contender.  

• RoughGame 1

8 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Player movement and a different deployment of players. The problem is, the coaches have no imagination, and/or are clinging to what they believe is their best option to save their asses, which clearly isn't working. 

They used their "imagination" last game ... no results.     Coaching is for sure part of the problem.   It's a hot mess right now as far as results go.   And it's very apparent to me at least, with zero contributions secondary scoring wise (what happened to AG and JV from last year?),  average but not great goaltending (we had great goaltending last year),  that those two things would turn a lot of these one or two goal games into wins and we'd likely be in a playoff spot as a result.    It's more then coaching - it's also the players - and it's also JB contract staggering being off by one year and sitting 11 plus million on the bench, Luongo retirement fund and on the taxi squad.   They need to switch lanes now - trade Pearson now, play Bear and hope he does well and someone will also bite on him, trade  Sutter and play all the young guys they can to get a gauge on whom to keep.   

• Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

Not trying to pile on here, but are the 3 games against Ottawa masking an even more troubled team than we're seeing?

3 of 8 wins 38% of the wins and 3 of the 5 home wins.

16 of 67 goals 24% of the goals

3 goals against, which is nearly 3 goals against less per game than the Canucks are currently at.

Canucks without the 3 Ottawa games:

5-14-2

51gf 82ga -31

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

7 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

Just curious, but aside from Horvat, Petersson, Boeser, Hughes, Demko, Miller and perhaps Juolevi, who do we think could get a significant level pick from what is left? There certainly aren't going to be any 1st, 2nd and maybe not even any 3rd round picks coming back for how the remaining members of the team are being described. 

Playing the 22/23 year olds might create a feel good moment, like walking down memory lane to the early seventies, but the team will not have any greater success in the standings, and most/all of these younger players may sink rather than swim being thrown into the deep end of the pool without a life preserver. Perhaps the biggest advantage is that the team would save a lot of cash on salaries.

regards,  G.

I have no delusion about landing high picks. Just picks. The important thing is to protect the high picks that we have. If he makes a trade you can be sure that our first will be part of it. Our salary cap issues leave us with no wiggle room and this club can't afford another botched deal .  We are getting close to having the cap room to ice a complete team.

I think they should right this year off . Send send salary out.  Call up Lind and Gad.

Edited by appleboy
  • Upvote 2
  • RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

Not trying to pile on here, but are the 3 games against Ottawa masking an even more troubled team than we're seeing?

3 of 8 wins 38% of the wins and 3 of the 5 home wins.

16 of 67 goals 24% of the goals

3 goals against, which is nearly 3 goals against less per game than the Canucks are currently at.

Canucks without the 3 Ottawa games:

5-14-2

51gf 82ga -31

Ottawa actually made a sound effort against us one of those wins ... but yes if we lost those games we'd be the worst team in the NHL...OTT is playing pretty good hockey right now - if the next time we play them and they play like that - no easy games left for us.    Time to start looking forward to the draft (been a couple years lol) as in a high pick.   Fortunately it's all about D's with a couple decent C's in the top ten.   Powers is exactly what we need.   Second could be a Hieskanen level pick too.   Not crazy about L Hughes but wouldn't be sad to add him either... could be something else.   

• RoughGame 1

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

They used their "imagination" last game ... no results.     Coaching is for sure part of the problem.   It's a hot mess right now as far as results go.   And it's very apparent to me at least, with zero contributions secondary scoring wise (what happened to AG and JV from last year?),  average but not great goaltending (we had great goaltending last year),  that those two things would turn a lot of these one or two goal games into wins and we'd likely be in a playoff spot as a result.    It's more then coaching - it's also the players - and it's also JB contract staggering being off by one year and sitting 11 plus million on the bench, Luongo retirement fund and on the taxi squad.   They need to switch lanes now - trade Pearson now, play Bear and hope he does well and someone will also bite on him, trade  Sutter and play all the young guys they can to get a gauge on whom to keep.   

Personally, I wouldn't make any irrational decisions at this point. If there are opportunities via the trade route, great. Take full advantage. Otherwise, play out the season, then in the off-season, make the changes that need to be made.

• Cheers 2
  • RoughGame 1

11 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Personally, I wouldn't make any irrational decisions at this point. If there are opportunities via the trade route, great. Take full advantage. Otherwise, play out the season, then in the off-season, make the changes that need to be made.

I don't think the team has the money to bring Pearson back, Sutter maybe on a 3 year deal to replace Beagle - seems very rational to get some of what we lost from the TT back by trading Pearson - Coleman got a first from TB last year ... it's possible (although unlikely), we could get a first IF he plays well... likely a second and a c level prospect.    We could retain 50% on both these guys - making it very attractive to any team.   Might as well make your plans now for the off season.    Strange times and also think there won't be as much TDL activity - but there will be some.    Our players know the cap situation.    And that not everyone is coming back (again).   Hamonic maybe too (if he wants a new contract - he's got to show he's still got it).... Edler  will almost certainly get an offer from the team -  i hope it's down a couple million, he's not worth 6 anymore.  

Edited by IBatch
  • RoughGame 1

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Ottawa actually made a sound effort against us one of those wins ... but yes if we lost those games we'd be the worst team in the NHL...OTT is playing pretty good hockey right now - if the next time we play them and they play like that - no easy games left for us.    Time to start looking forward to the draft (been a couple years lol) as in a high pick.   Fortunately it's all about D's with a couple decent C's in the top ten.   Powers is exactly what we need.   Second could be a Hieskanen level pick too.   Not crazy about L Hughes but wouldn't be sad to add him either... could be something else.   

True, but alot of indications are that the draft might not be until the summer of 2022 and even then its hard to expect a 18-19yr old dman to come in and make an immediate impact. For every Eklbad, Dahlin and Makar there are multiple dmen taken in the top 5 that take a few years to make an impact, look no further than #48.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1