The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | February 25, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN

Rate this topic

-SN-

Weird that Virtanen had a better game than Pettersson. I thought Jake played well, and it got me wondering why all of a sudden. Here's my take:

Benning: Jake, we know you're not happy here. The constant scrutiny, the pressure to perform "in your home town" for these fickle Canucks fans. But Jake, we can't move you to another team unless you start performing better. We can't move you if you continue to play this passive style and aren't noticeable. 

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

16 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Or dress 7 defencemen, since they aren’t rolling four lines anyway. Or try moving one dman up to the wing. 

I've liked that idea a lot for this season... maybe we'll see it with the new coach? 

• RoughGame 1

15 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Weird that Virtanen had a better game than Pettersson. I thought Jake played well, and it got me wondering why all of a sudden. Here's my take:

Benning: Jake, we know you're not happy here. The constant scrutiny, the pressure to perform "in your home town" for these fickle Canucks fans. But Jake, we can't move you to another team unless you start performing better. We can't move you if you continue to play this passive style and aren't noticeable. 

tbh I thought Jake had two decent periods after managing to kill 4 minutes of momentum in the 1st. 

But this year is not tanking due to any particular player, or the collective effort by the guys.

My fear now is we see the effort level go in the toilet too and thats unacceptable. Green and staff have lost the room, and maybe thats unfair in a covid year, but adversity tends to amplify whats already in place, and whats in place does not work. 

• RoughGame 1

I was wrong.

Jake lasted 19 shifts of Bo's line

but still couldn't finish the game there

Ol Greener, 'I'm gonna shake up the lines because, I'm gonna shake up the line, and if that doesn't work I'ma go right back to the old lines, cuz I shook up the lines"

• Haha 2
  • RoughGame 1

Id say its a question of what players u have and their qualities. If some player underperform u need to act and if u just end up loosing game after game something is wrong. imo the Defense has not been able to adjust since its loss and with the short preseason u never had a chance to get that under control. Another issue is last season we had a goalie that played Vezina level on many occasions and that we do not have now either. This season looks lost due to those factors...so....team tank is back in business???

• RoughGame 1

46 minutes ago, Darth Canuck said:

Symptoms of fatigue

Fatigue can cause a vast range of other physical, mental and emotional symptoms including:

• chronic tiredness or sleepiness
  • headache
  • dizziness
  • sore or aching muscles
  • muscle weakness
  • slowed reflexes and responses
  • impaired decision-making and judgement
  • moodiness, such as irritability
  • impaired hand-to-eye coordination
  • appetite loss
  • reduced immune system function
  • blurry vision
  • short-term memory problems
  • poor concentration
  • hallucinations
  • reduced ability to pay attention to the situation at hand
  • low motivation.

watching the Canucks play, I can’t help but think they are not just tired, but fatigued, a more serious nature of being tired.

Look at the symptoms. Slowed reflexes, impaired decision making, impaired hand eye, poor concentration, low motivation.
They’ve played the most games, travelled the most, practiced the least in the entire NHL.

Last nights game (heck the last 4 games), checked so many of the above. We’re all searching for the reason(s) of why our team is so poor these days.  This could be a big factor.

And other teams are starting to get hit now too. Calgary and Montreal are falling as the schedule catches up with them. Can’t wait to see how Edmonton and Toronto do when their time comes.

Edmonton has played only 2 less games in the exact same amount of days and both have played 11 road games with trips out East. 5 of the Canucks 11 road games have been in Alberta, so not exactly grueling road trips. Toronto has 5 in a row on the road coming up so that will be a test.

The Canucks are 2-9-2 in their last 13, are you suggesting they have been fatigued since game 11 that was less than 3 weeks into the season?

spacer.png

P.S. The Canucks have also only played 41 games including the bubble in the last 11 1/2 months.

Edited by GritGrinder
  • Like 1
  • RoughGame 1

4 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Bright side is they dont play this weekend

Not a moment too soon. Team needs a break in the schedule, and I think many of us need a break from this team.

I’m looking forward to a healthy weekend fast from NHL hockey. Gonna watch some college and Euro games instead, and hopefully come back refreshed. ;) 

• Cheers 3
  • RoughGame 1

11 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’ve wondered the same. Was hoping he’d have gotten in for at least one game by now, and if he played well, possible earned consideration for a more regular spot in the forward rotation.

So they can use the excuse of ‘they’re tired/exhausted from all the games in a compressed schedule’.  Who need a taxi squad?  Hint:  it’s not just for physically injured players but perish the thought of rotating players to give them much needed time to regenerate

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

10 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Not a moment too soon. Team needs a break in the schedule, and I think many of us need a break from this team.

I’m looking forward to a healthy weekend fast from NHL hockey. Gonna watch some college and Euro games instead, and hopefully come back refreshed. ;) 

good idea, need to find healthy outlets for this stuff. It gets a bit like a hen house around here with people pecking at players and each other when things go sideways. 

• Haha 2
  • RoughGame 1

11 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It has been rumoured, that down in the states, other teams are playing NHL hockey, I might look into this tonight.:unsure:

• RoughGame 2

8 hours ago, Devron44 said:

The question is. Why is the PP so bad compared to last year when it’s the exact same 5 man unit. To me that says the players are good enough and the coaching is not 

I believe this is worth reposting. 

I am glad others are realizing our Coaches just aren't that good. I stated before that he was basically Willy D 2.0 and its becoming more and more obvious every day. Sitting OJ? Playing LE in the top 6 last year? Refusing to put Hughes on the #1 PP initially? Benching some players when they make a mistake yet ignoring others when they do the same thing?

I can totally see why there is so much dissension on that bench right now. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • RoughGame 1

9 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I believe this is worth reposting. 

I am glad others are realizing our Coaches just aren't that good. I stated before that he was basically Willy D 2.0 and its becoming more and more obvious every day. Sitting OJ? Playing LE in the top 6 last year? Refusing to put Hughes on the #1 PP initially? Benching some players when they make a mistake yet ignoring others when they do the same thing?

I can totally see why there is so much dissension on that bench right now. 

Willy D was a successful minor league head coach.  It just didn’t translate at the NHL level.  Won  Calder Cups in the AHL as coach as well as the Memorial trophy as coach.  Green?  He gets the participation medal.:lol:

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Haha 1
  • RoughGame 2

7 hours ago, Jam126 said:

This is very funny. I keep getting fooled that we may have a chance every season, but then the Canucks remind me that there is no chance ever. I have resigned to the fact that the Canucks will never ever win anything ever. 

........on that note.........who's ready to buy their season's tickets for next year?............Anybody?.........Anybody? ::D

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

44 minutes ago, lmm said:

I was wrong.

Jake lasted 19 shifts of Bo's line

but still couldn't finish the game there

Ol Greener, 'I'm gonna shake up the lines because, I'm gonna shake up the line, and if that doesn't work I'ma go right back to the old lines, cuz I shook up the lines"

i know others liked Jakes game, i thought he was ok, but not great, i think he hurt Horvats line, especially Horvat, Jake needs to pass once in a while too. 

• Haha 2
  • RoughGame 1

2 hours ago, Googlie said:

And why is Michaelis gathering rust in the press box?  Brisebois too.  As well, was Rafferty that bad in his one game (that 7-3 loss to Montreal) that he isn't worth another look? In that game, he was on the ice for 2 goals against, but got 1 assist so was -1 for the game.  Hasn't played since.   Also on the ice for 2 against and 1 assist was Hughes.  When Green gets a hate on for a player, might as well look for a trading partner 

Yeah irks me too especially after seeing Chatfield got endless opportunities. I feel like if we lose Brogan it could come back to bite us. I think he still has alot of untapped potential. He went from college to becoming and allstar in the AHL! We must give him more looks.

• RoughGame 1

Seemed to me the team gave up after the 2nd goal last night.  Players looked really dejected on the bench to close out the game.

We are pretty much at the point that they need to plan it out for next season and retool.  This season has to become about something else.  Developing some of the younger players... that's why Juolevi needed to stay in. 

• RoughGame 1