The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | February 25, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN

Rate this topic

-SN-

9 hours ago, Devron44 said:

I have no problems with Myers and Schmidt. I think Myers has been a bright spot and great guy with Joulevi. Schmidt is coming around. 

The structure is messed man. Losing Tanev and Marky hurt but look at Calgary, not so hot over there right now.

The Problem is this year was a cap correction because of the paid bottom six. It’s hurt our depth. I was happy there was no buyouts last offseason to try and sign one of those guys. Cause at the end of the day this cap has to fixed over the next 2 years as these contacts expire, Loui and spooner buyout is off the books as well.

JB can’t be handing out these types of contracts going forward or they need to get someone else in there. These 2 years are the real opportunity to put a high level team together 

Myers, like Roussel and Edler, is a guy that takes endless stupid penalties.

• RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

The NHL, in general, is really behind the times, and not following the science, when it comes to using player rotation in sport to better manage rest and preparation, workload, injury risk, and potential for burnout.

This year’s compressed schedule would have been a great opportunity try some innovative techniques.

A full roster rotation, splitting the practises  and skates into game prep/warmups, for the active roster, and more traditional practices (skills and systems development), for the taxi squad and spares, might have allowed the Canucks to manage any fatigue, while also improving habits and working through any performance issues.

Personally, I’d have gone into this season with a larger coaching staff, split into two separate units. Have the main unit handle the games, and have a full second unit working with the guys who aren’t playing. Have pretty much every player getting healthy scratches, scheduled ahead, and written into a rotation, so that they’re getting chances for time off, or time to work on their individual performance, and also just so they get a break from the physical and mental load of having to play so many games in such a short period. (And especially with the team struggling, and with so many individual players struggling to find their games this season.)

Canucks should hire you in some capacity...makes so much sense, what is the point of the taxi squad if you don't spell off a few guys to give them a break all while seeing what these tweener NHL hopefuls can do?

Instead we see a young G prospect get 0 game time action...that can't be good for a G to have no live game action for what is it now close to a year?? Among others players also, at least they finally sent Rathbone down so he could get some game action.

Coach Green doesn't even give the guys injected into the line up any real meaningful minutes, Jayce got like 5 min or something last night?

• RoughGame 1

Just now, Ray_Cathode said:

Myers, like Roussel and Edler, is a guy that takes endless stupid penalties.

Yeah not going to argue you there. Although some of them are just from being to big. I like his overall game though. And has been great for Joulevi 

• Vintage 2
  • RoughGame 1

9 hours ago, FaninMex said:

That is what made Toffoli look good to many on here. It is the same same. Toffoli and the Canadiens have not done much else after their hot start. 

I am fine with Toffoli being gone. 

Are you fine with what we gave up to get a guy that you are happy is gone?

• RoughGame 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Good post.  Aqua said it well in his address to the fans.  Progress isn't always straight up or linear.   A lot of lessons for the younger group.   OJ and Hoglander - some bright takeaways.  Team is missing Motte now too.   Even though i'd like a blue chip pick at this point, and i'd like to see the team sell some vets at the TDL, i'm hoping the team doesn't mail it in and keeps pushing every game. 

Looking out 2-3 years and considering the need and availability I don't have a problem moving players out. I think you mentioned resigning Sutter which I would agree with. Pearson, Rooster, Benn and Hamonic if he would waive his NMC. I am on the fence with Virtanen and Gaudette. They were both flying last night. If there is a coaching change I would be interested in seeing how they would play in a new environment. No hurry with those two.

Off topic: Quinn: You mentioned Pat Quinn earlier and I had to smile. Their running that 'Best Hits' thing on SN. Not to many of the hits from yesteryear. I remember the HNIC game when Quinn hit Orr. The Bruins went nuts and they tried to kill Quinn. Of course the gutless Laffers of that era stood aside and watched. Another crushing hit by Scott Stevens on Eric Lindros. That pretty much finished Lindros.    

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

4 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Why has Green not been fired yet? 

this is insane 

Aqua Velva stated that he's got full confidence and faith in Green and Benning. Clearly Aqua is getting high on his own supply. That being said, what's the point to canning Green now versus waiting until the offseason? Let Green make his bed, and then address the season (shortened or not). The same for Benning. Let them have the season to "make their moves". 

As another poster mentioned, the offseason could be one that helps this team greatly, I just don't have faith that Benning won't make some questionable moves any more. 

• RoughGame 1

7 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Yeah not going to argue you there. Although some of them are just from being to big. I like his overall game though. And has been great for Joulevi 

Agreed. Some of the penalties Myers takes aren't great, but a lot look to be purely based on the fact that the refs are moronic and merely seek to punish the largest human on the ice for being big.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Agreed. Some of the penalties Myers takes aren't great, but a lot look to be purely based on the fact that the refs are moronic and merely seek to punish the largest human on the ice for being big.

Yup like I said about the Forbort incident. Imagine if that was Myers doing that stuff. What would have happened? It’s become a joke. Remember in the playoffs. He was a beast playing playoff hockey and the refs sent him to the box every chance they got 

• RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Yup like I said about the Forbort incident. Imagine if that was Myers doing that stuff. What would have happened? It’s become a joke. Remember in the playoffs. He was a beast playing playoff hockey and the refs sent him to the box every chance they got 

He would have been suspended for what Forbort did, or at least given a game misconduct. The officials are the trash that trash throws out every week.

• RoughGame 1

4 hours ago, Googlie said:

And why is Michaelis gathering rust in the press box?  Brisebois too.  As well, was Rafferty that bad in his one game (that 7-3 loss to Montreal) that he isn't worth another look? In that game, he was on the ice for 2 goals against, but got 1 assist so was -1 for the game.  Hasn't played since.   Also on the ice for 2 against and 1 assist was Hughes.  When Green gets a hate on for a player, might as well look for a trading partner 

This bothers me, because our top guys have gotten away with mistake after mistake this season. I understand that you can't exactly consistently scratch your top six guys or top 4 D but the double standard is irritating nonetheless. With the season lost at this point these are exactly the guys we'll need to be seeing more of, because they're the guys we're going to be making decisions on sooner than later. Could Brisebois be something? What about Chatfield who CDC was speaking well of before that Toronto game? We should be seeing more of Brisebois, Rafferty, Chatfield, and even Sautner. Mix them in, get a better look at Hamonic too as he might be worth retaining. 

Michaelis, Mac, and even Hawryluk. We should see them too. Hawryluk played what.. five minutes last night? The hell are you gonna get from five minutes? 

I want Juolevi to play more, but these guys should see actual ice time too. It's not as if we've got much to lose at this point, loading up with vets isn't getting us into the playoffs. 

59 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I’ve supported Green in the past. Never thought and still don’t think he’s as bad as others suggest. I Don’t think he’s the greatest either and facts are coaches expire. He has done some good things with the young players but that trend seems to have exploded in the wrong way. 

The Oj scratch was absolute garbage. Putting Hamonic in made sense but not for Joulevi. Scratch Benn then you’re only messing with 1 pair instead of 2. And Myers and OJ have been great together. Love that pairing. 

Rousell’s free ride is embarrassing, the guy is helping us lose, not win. I liked him in year one but it’s clear he’s no more then an extra forward you slot in if you need a boost or energy or there’s an injury. 

Yeah we need a better approach. Play to win but don’t scrape the barrel cause the playoffs aren’t happening without some magic St.Louis type run.The team wasn’t really ready yet to compete for a cup. Compete for a  playoff spot sure i think we should be good enough on paper for that. A winning attitude is still very important. But at the end of the day players like OJ are going to be needed to have success in the future. So he should be played. If he looked outta place sure, I get it. But he’s not helping us lose. He’s a bright spot, why eff with that ?

I gave Green the benefit of the doubt but he's lost me. Does he have a future in this league? Maybe, he's got a lot to learn though. This is year four, and despite our run last season it took Vezina caliber goaltending to just squeak in as a wildcard team, that's not a recipe for success. That's part of why I was fine walking away from Marky, his play isn't going to be sustainable for six years; we've got Demko and Holtby providing adequate goatending, the same problems we had in front of Marky are still there though and that's concerning. Hell, we gave up four breakaways before the game was half over last night, you don't win like that.

I agree, Benn should have sat. He's played well, but he's not the future. Hamonic needs to play, I won't argue that, he could be a good piece to retain. But yeah, as mentioned above guys should sit more frequently to get some of our more unknown guys in, we're at that point in the season already. 

Rouss hasn't been the same since coming back from injury, it's unfortunate. I hope he can get back to that because he's likely here til his contract expires. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GetFocht said:

So, has anyone been held accountable for this yet or we just accepting this as is?

So define we.

I'm accepting it as there's nothing I can do that will make an impact on the decisions made by ownership. This team isn't very good. It has a lot of holes to be filled. 

• RoughGame 1

Since it seems near impossible for Canucks to make the playoffs, I hope they rotate Chatfield in to get his # of games so he can be eligible for the Seattle expansion draft.  Then we wouldn't have to expose Schmidt or Meyers.  At least have that option.

• Vintage 2