The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | February 25, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN

Rate this topic

-SN-

15 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Aqua Velva stated that he's got full confidence and faith in Green and Benning. Clearly Aqua is getting high on his own supply. That being said, what's the point to canning Green now versus waiting until the offseason? Let Green make his bed, and then address the season (shortened or not). The same for Benning. Let them have the season to "make their moves". 

As another poster mentioned, the offseason could be one that helps this team greatly, I just don't have faith that Benning won't make some questionable moves any more. 

It  makes sense from financial perspective. But from players development perspective - changes are necessary, IMO

• Like 1
  • RoughGame 1

24 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Looking out 2-3 years and considering the need and availability I don't have a problem moving players out. I think you mentioned resigning Sutter which I would agree with. Pearson, Rooster, Benn and Hamonic if he would waive his NMC. I am on the fence with Virtanen and Gaudette. They were both flying last night. If there is a coaching change I would be interested in seeing how they would play in a new environment. No hurry with those two.

Off topic: Quinn: You mentioned Pat Quinn earlier and I had to smile. Their running that 'Best Hits' thing on SN. Not to many of the hits from yesteryear. I remember the HNIC game when Quinn hit Orr. The Bruins went nuts and they tried to kill Quinn. Of course the gutless Laffers of that era stood aside and watched. Another crushing hit by Scott Stevens on Eric Lindros. That pretty much finished Lindros.    

Funny how Lindros's legacy is so connected to Steven's plastering him.   Not much is said about the three of four head hits before that... or many of Lindros's own best hits back then.   For fun i watched some Lindros highlights over the last year - he smoked guys so hard ... one hit a 220lb player flew 20 feet into the boards - haven't seen that before or since.   Stevens rep went up into legend status with that one hit, but forgotten in history is also how brutal some of Lindros own hits were too is the point i'm trying to make.    Worth a watch.  If i ever figure out how to post videos i might give it a go.   For a three year period or so Lindros was at or near the heap of the pile - and there were a lot of great players back then, like Orr, and Bure - special players much deserving of the HHOF despite the smallish sample size 

Edited by IBatch

19 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Aqua Velva stated that he's got full confidence and faith in Green and Benning. Clearly Aqua is getting high on his own supply. That being said, what's the point to canning Green now versus waiting until the offseason? Let Green make his bed, and then address the season (shortened or not). The same for Benning. Let them have the season to "make their moves". 

As another poster mentioned, the offseason could be one that helps this team greatly, I just don't have faith that Benning won't make some questionable moves any more. 

The interests of Green and the team might not necessarily align.  Right now they are not winning but also not really developing many of the young players.

With the playoffs now pretty much out of reach the team should probably focus on developing their young players.  Green is without a contract for next season and his focus might be more to win games.  Juolevi was scratched and both Benn and Hamonic are upcoming UFAs.  During the off-season Benning talked of using Gaudette on the PK - if Green is looking to win games that’s unlikely to happen.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

47 minutes ago, bree2 said:

if that is the way you take it, can't help that!, he had an okay game, why do people make Jake out that any little good thing he does,  he becomes awesome! the one who was awesome was Hoglander, who outplays Jake and some others nightly

That's not it, you find every opportunity to diss Jake when ever you get the chance. You basically blamed him for Bo's performance, what? Stick to your "Boes is bestest" posts. ::D

OK, I have tried to write something about 5 times here, and can't get it all out in a coherent manner......but I am going to try again.

5 Years ago, Jim have a plan. I would imagine it was a 5 year plan to competitiveness. That is good, and I have no problem with that.

But in that 5 year plan, you would have had to plan for evaluations, and contingencies. Now 5 year plans are not static and should be revised each year,

prior to the up and coming year. So that would have meant that before the end of last season, and having already known what Covid was doing to your plan.

He would have made adjustments.

Now, as part of the plan, Jim should have done a internal assessment and a external assessment, meaning how is your team looking? 

And how are other teams looking?  Jim should have known which teams were in financial distress, and what teams were not. What UFA's were available,

and a basic understanding of what those players would cost. Now, he should have been able to know that, by his own predicament, and by discussions with 

other GM's.................

Bottom line is Jim should have known, and that is where his unmaking is. Yes, he is a good drafter. But truthfully, his other actions are suspect. His assessments

of NHL players is poor, because he has as many disappointments as successes in his UFA signings and trade moves. Average at best. And his manipulations of the Cap

are dismal to say the least.

Would I let Benning run my draft table.....sure! Do I have confidence in his ability to navigate through these next few years? Not as much! And that is where I am today.

I have no confidence in Jim's ability to do that, and absolutely no confidence in Green and his coaching staff, which also falls under Jim's umbrella.

What I see on the ice, is not what I see on paper, and what I see of the front office, is not what I want to see going forwards. 

It has been just over 20 games, and I am exhausted, I can't imagine how it must be for the players.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Funny how Lindros's legacy is so connected to Steven's plastering him.   Not much is said about the three of four head hits before that... or many of Lindros's own best hits back then.   For fun i watched some Lindros highlights over the last year - he smoked guys so hard ... one hit a 220lb player flew 20 feet into the boards - haven't seen that before or since.   Stevens rep when up into legend status with that one hit, but forgotten in history is also how brutal some of Lindros own hits were too is the point i'm trying to make.    Worth a watch.  If i ever figure out how to post videos i might give it a go.   For a three year period or so Lindros was at or near the heap of the pile - and there were a lot of great players back then, like Orr, and Bure - special players much deserving of the HHOF despite the smallish sample size 

When I think of Lindros it is the WJC the year he played. A man among boys and was he ever dominant. The Euro kids must still have nightmares about that Tourny. Amazing how far NHL coverage has come from back in those days. I've watched some of the retro games and honestly find them lacking to a degree. Today's game is far more sophisticated. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I would be worried about Benning making yet another bad NHL head coach hire.  He's got two already that you can't blame Gillis on.  Reason why I keep harping on a seasoned NHL executive vet being needed either as a President or consultant.  No cap there so pay $$$$ for the best one out there.

• Cheers 1

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I would be worried about Benning making yet another bad NHL head coach hire.  He's got two already that you can't blame Gillis on.  Reason why I keep harping on a seasoned NHL executive vet being needed either as a President or consultant.  No cap there so pay $$$$ for the best one out there.

I agree. He's had two shots at it, and both haven't worked out. Hiring a president again would be a smart move. Having someone who'll keep tabs on Benning and make sound decisions. That being said, Aqua Velva had a president in Linden and then that whole situation eroded poorly. 

• Cheers 3

25 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

It  makes sense from financial perspective. But from players development perspective - changes are necessary, IMO

Let Delorme mop up the season. He's scary as heck.  He can coach with mean glares. What  are there like 10 games left?

We all knew Green was an interim coach.