The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | February 25, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN

Rate this topic

-SN-

17 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I'm frustrated too. But I'm really getting sick of all the cry baby fans. Pointing fingers and blaming for this or blaming for that. It's pointless and only makes things worse. This is our team. Green is our coach JB is our GM. They want to win as much as any of us do. Are they struggling? yes. Do they make mistakes? Of course. But you lot you know who you are holding the pitchforks make it damn near impossible for them to do anything right. I love this team but if I were a player there is no way in hell I would play in this city. 

In the real world, and you have a welder whose welds all crack, you replace the welder. If the plumber’s joints all leak, you replace the plumber. If the electrician electrocutes himself, you find a replacement. Only in the imaginary world of government is failure rewarded with raises and promotions and no danger of losing your job. In the hockey business, when you fail, you’re fired and ownership finds someone else. If the owner fails so badly he goes broke, that bank appoints a receiver and he finds new management.

When you are being paid millions it’s a little harsher than when your greatest act of failure is consistently burning the burgers and fries.

20 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Ya so that tells you Virtanen just chooses to not show up most nights. When you show you can do it then it has to be something you do most of the time. He's just a lazy player.

Or his confidence was noticeabley up last night it was impossible not to notice how much better of a mood most of the guys were in last nights. The defensive side of the game just Imploded once again. 

52 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

There has been a lot of talentless Canuck squads over the years, and this isnt one of them.

This might be one of the most purely talented teams in Canucks history. We’ve never had a legit #1 and #2 C along with a legit #1 D and also a 30 goal winger all in the team at the same time. Not even the 1994, 2003 or 2011 teams had all these players. 

Our problem right now isn’t the top end of the roster, which is the hardest part to accumulate as you basically have to acquire top end players through the draft. Our problem is the bottom 6 forwards and big aggressive defensive Dmen who can support Hughes, Schmidt and Juolevi. We even have a young #1 goalie. 

This team needs some roster tweaks and a new coaching staff who can get the best out of our top talent. A legit 3C, a partner for Hughes and another solid Dman and winger will go a long way to make us a legit playoff team. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

In the real world, and you have a welder whose welds all crack, you replace the welder. If the plumber’s joints all leak, you replace the plumber. If the electrician electrocutes himself, you find a replacement. Only in the imaginary world of government is failure rewarded with raises and promotions and no danger of losing your job. In the hockey business, when you fail, you’re fired and ownership finds someone else. If the owner fails so badly he goes broke, that bank appoints a receiver and he finds new management.

When you are being paid millions it’s a little harsher than when your greatest act of failure is consistently burning the burgers and fries.

sure no arguement however this season is over what's done is done cant be undone. I'm gonna support them until the season is done . realistically no one is gonna want to work here if we run everyone out of town so show some class. Represent your team cheer for them and maybe the next plumber we hire will be stoked to work for a team that showed support of the last guy when things went poorly. 

Aqua imo pushed for a quick rebuild on the fly JB signed guys like Eriksson to keep the Sedin dream alive when that just wasnt realistic. MG signed luo to that contract knowing he wouldnt be playing at 43 without that there never would have been a 2011 finals. now the Bills come due sucks but the best gm on the planet couldn't dig outa that hole. 

if you want the team to succeed people have to want to work here and the $&!#y cancerous fans are def a reason elite guys want nothing to do with our team.

Edited by hammertime

No North division games tonight so I thought I would look and see what the "Ottawa Factor" has meant so far this season. Taking away the wins and gf/ga from the games each team has played against Ottawa and seeing the difference.

Toronto 15 wins 74gf/55ga +19 (13 wins 54gf/38ga +16 without Ottawa games)

Edmonton 14 wins 79gf/65ga +14 (10 wins 61gf/55ga +6 without Ottawa games)

Winnipeg 12 wins 67gf/51ga +16 (8 wins 47gf/41ga +6 without Ottawa games)

Montreal 9 wins 64gf/56ga +8 (8 wins 54gf/44ga +10 without Ottawa games)

Calgary 9 wins 51gf/62ga -11 (9 wins 50gf/56ga -6 without Ottawa games)

Vancouver 8 wins 67gf/85ga -18 (5 wins 51gf/82ga -31 without Ottawa games)

Vancouver, Winnipeg and Edmonton have taken the most advantage of the Sens.

Toronto and Montreal have not taken nearly enough advantage, especially the Habs.

Calgary has only played them once and got smoked.

The 2 items in bold are of particular concern for this fanbase.

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This might be one of the most purely talented teams in Canucks history. We’ve never had a legit #1 and #2 C along with a legit #1 D and also a 30 goal winger all in the team at the same time. Not even the 1994, 2003 or 2011 teams had all these players. 

Our problem right now isn’t the top end of the roster, which is the hardest part to accumulate as you basically have to acquire top end players through the draft. Our problem is the bottom 6 forwards and big aggressive defensive Dmen who can support Hughes, Schmidt and Juolevi. We even have a young #1 goalie. 

This team needs some roster tweaks and a new coaching staff who can get the best out of our top talent. A legit 3C, a partner for Hughes and another solid Dman and winger will go a long way to make us a legit playoff team. 

While I agree that we've never had so many young talented players in quite sometime, I would ague that one of the biggest problems this season is at the top of the roster.

Our best players (not named Boeser) are not having good seasons. We wont win much, if they're not our best players.

The guys in the bottom 6 are, who they are, and who they have always been. They are not the game changers.

• Cheers 2

49 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Henrik 1C (reigning Hart and Art Ross winner)

Kesler 2C (Selke winner)

Ehrhoff 1D

Burrows and Daniel (Art Ross and Pearson winner) 30 goal wingers

plus a Vezina caliber goalie.

You can nitpick on Ehrhoff but he was a 50pt, 23min dman who got Norris and All-Star votes. Thats about as legit a #1 D than most teams had in 2010 and 2011.

Edited by GritGrinder
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Weird that Virtanen had a better game than Pettersson. I thought Jake played well, and it got me wondering why all of a sudden. Here's my take:

Benning: Jake, we know you're not happy here. The constant scrutiny, the pressure to perform "in your home town" for these fickle Canucks fans. But Jake, we can't move you to another team unless you start performing better. We can't move you if you continue to play this passive style and aren't noticeable. 

CTV news did a story on him.

51 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

talent is useless without heart. 

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Our top players are 20, 21, 22, etc.  

They haven’t learned yet how to be professionals.  

One man at 650 a.m. brought up a good point.  How long before the elite players in the NHL won their Stanley Cup? 

OV, Stamkos, Crosby and so on.

It took most of them years and they were at their prime age playing on Veteran teams.  Wait until these young Canucks get bigger, stronger, faster and gain experience.  I can't remember when the Canucks had so many star young players and more in the pipeline.

Can you smell what Jim Benning is cooking???????????

3 minutes ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

One man at 650 a.m. brought up a good point.  How long before the elite players in the NHL won their Stanley Cup? 

OV, Stamkos, Crosby and so on.

It took most of them years and they were at their prime age playing on Veteran teams.  Wait until these young Canucks get bigger, stronger, faster and gain experience.  I can't remember when the Canucks had so many star young players and more in the pipeline.

Can you smell what Jim Benning is cooking???????????

OV is a good example as he was in his 13th season. Crosby not so much as he made the finals in his 3rd season and won the Cup in his fourth. Stamkos isn't a great example either because it was the next generation of stars (Hedman, Kucherov, Point, Vasilevsky) that came in after Stammer that were the difference makers in putting Tampa over the top.

1 hour ago, GritGrinder said:

Henrik 1C (reigning Hart and Art Ross winner)

Kesler 2C (Selke winner)

Ehrhoff 1D

Burrows and Daniel (Art Ross and Pearson winner) 30 goal wingers

plus a Vezina caliber goalie.

You can nitpick on Ehrhoff but he was a 50pt, 23min dman who got Norris and All-Star votes. Thats about as legit a #1 D than most teams had in 2010 and 2011.

The 2011 team was close and you are comparing that team in their prime years to our current team that isn't anywhere near their prime years.  But 2011 was the best overall team we had that is for sure.  Hall of Famers, major trophy winners and solid goaltending.  But I'll have to disagree on Ehrhoff.  Very good Dman, a #2 for sure.  But not anywhere near the talent that Hughes possesses.

Edited by Elias Pettersson

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The 2011 team was close and you are comparing that team in their prime years to our current team that isn't anywhere near their prime years.  But 2011 was the best overall team we had that is for sure.  Hall of Famers, major trophy winners and solid goaltending.  But I'll have to disagree on Ehrhoff.  Very good Dman, a #2 for sure.  But not anywhere near the talent that Hughes possesses.

Hughes is only more offensively talented. Ehrhoff is 6'2" 210 and would hit guys, block shots and clear the net in addition to QBing the PP and putting up points. Ehrhoff was an all around better dman than Quinn by quite a margin. Quinn might develop into a more defensive player but I don't see him laying hits etc the way Ehrhoff did.

• Cheers 1