The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC opinions on the Canucks

Rate this topic

CDC Outlook for the Canucks  

137 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well dang, I didn't expect to be the first votes! But ok, yeah, there's a lot of changes needed. We do have a decent to good future, but it could be better. Benning has done fairly well on draft picks (not going to open the UFA "can of worms"), but I still think he should have taken Nicolas Hague over Kole Lind. Forwards, we have (and had then). A decent D we haven't had since 2011-12

Edited by Father Ryan
Add content
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
12 minutes ago, ImConfused said:

Now THAT'S a big poll!

Mad props and respect!

I'm looking forward to some interesting (if also a little.. heated) discussions opening up here. Could be a beauty of a thread.

Cheers!

Reveal hidden contents

Support Travis Green!

Thanks.  I wanted to switch things up and get everyone's opinion in a poll.  Instead of the same few people fighting about the same few things. 

I wanted to hit a variety of topics, and already wish I added some other questions... like, do you Virtanen in long term plans?  Are you more excited about Hoglander or Podkolzin? 

• Upvote 1

I think Green has done an OK job, but his job is also 'done' as far as he can take us.

It's one of those things where his time has come and he simply can't take us to the next level we need to be at. None of the coaches will do that. We've seen this group of players show what they CAN do, sporadically, but there's an obvious disconnect in how to keep that going. To me, that's a coaching / mentality problem.

Jim's done a good job, far from the Chicken Littles calling for his seppuku; within two years, every cap hit minus Myers (and now Schmidt) is gone. That leaves an awful lot of space to clear the deck as it were. Between some of his trades, his drafting, some contracts all considered, he hasn't done a magnificent job, but a good job all things considered.

We need *actual* toughness, not fake Roussel bad penalty toughness and SkateBy Scowling toughness. Whether that's the coaches telling guys to lay off and not take penalties OR the guys themselves not wanting to mess up their haircuts I have no idea. But the snowshowers need to die one way or another.

If the team 'does nothing', move the UFAs out for whatever they can get. Not saying tank for tank sake, that pisses me off to no end, but if we are also clearly in the 'save money' mode by not paying more staff than needed etc (and I don't blame ownership one bit if that's the case for this year) then move out the money we can and get as good picks and prospects as possible and revisit the coaching in the offseason.

• Hydration 2

There needs to be a total revamp of our coaching staff. FFS get some experience behind the bench. 

Next is defense. Need a stay at home defenseman that can actually play defense and provide a physical presence in front of the crease. It's ideal that the player is able to partner up with Hughes as well. 

As for the veterans.... sigh. We just got to ride their contracts out, there's not much else we can do. 

• Hydration 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
11 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Thanks.  I wanted to switch things up and get everyone's opinion in a poll.  Instead of the same few people fighting about the same few things. 

I wanted to hit a variety of topics, and already wish I added some other questions... like, do you Virtanen in long term plans?  Are you more excited about Hoglander or Podkolzin? 

Yeah I've been tired of reading the same arguments over and over and over. This thread is nice at least to mix that up.

Just to answer your questions here:

No I don't see Virtanen in the long term plans. I've defended him for a long time but it's at the point where we've given him more than a fair shot. I also don't see fans being able ot cope with him here in a bottom 6 role, which is what I see him being in the NHL long term. I think he could have a long career, just not with us.

I'm more excited about Hoglander because I haven't seed Podkolzin play in the NHL yet. I like to reserve judgement until I actually see it. However, I do think he has a good chance of being an impact player much like Hogs has.

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

Love the poll! Good stuff.

IMO All 5 of those guys are gonna be cornerstone players - might as well start etching their names into the ring of honour... Brocky probably has #6 up in the rafters come 2039-2040... Demmer and Bo both can do it too if they retire Canucks or win at least a few cups

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Burr 1
9 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Next is defense. Need a stay at home defenseman that can actually play defense and provide a physical presence in front of the crease. It's ideal that the player is able to partner up with Hughes as well. 

If Edler leaves perhaps that money can be used to sign that type of defenseman.  Zero offense but very good defense, physicality a plus. 

This team is playing like they lost hope. Effort seems gone. At least with Motter around one line looked like they cared. Miller pouts when things don't go his way. Petey gets bullied by bigger players cause he's a stickman. Our 2nd line has Hoglander and occasionally Horvat. Our 3rd line has no identity. Our 4th line is missing their identity with Motter out. Our defense seemingly wants to see how many saves our goalies can make before they break with all these turnovers. Our coaching staff lacks any creativity. So many holes in our team right now we're lookin' like Swiss cheese.

• Hydration 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Anytime you have a D coach who could barely crack the line is never a good thing, should never be up 2-0 let alone 3 in the 1st and let the other team come back and win.

This team needs to learn how to tighten up a bit when they have the lead and make it hard on the opp.

That will be or if it isn't already our downfall.

Get a better D coach.

Edited by nux4lyfe
  • Hydration 1

This season has been disappointing however the team only has one way to go. An area that needs to be improved in order to compete with elite teams is the bottom 6.

For the sake of this conversation if we assume for a moment the top two lines of each team cancel each other out, then difference between winners and losers are the guys who play consistently well on the botton 2 lines. I think this approach is usually confirmed during the playoffs. The difference makers are those that toil on the third and fourth lines. 

• Thanks 1

There's too many high paid plugs on this team and its causing a trickle down effect.  If one line struggles everyone struggles.  In today's NHL you need to roll 4 lines and 6 d and we could be so much better without some of the anchor contracts holding us back from spending our cap elsewhere. So while I blame the coach and the players I think the bulk of the blame is on jimbo 

• Hydration 1
17 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

There's too many high paid plugs on this team and its causing a trickle down effect.  If one line struggles everyone struggles.  In today's NHL you need to roll 4 lines and 6 d and we could be so much better without some of the anchor contracts holding us back from spending our cap elsewhere. So while I blame the coach and the players I think the bulk of the blame is on jimbo 

@Time Lord please do it 

• Haha 1
30 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

This team is playing like they lost hope. Effort seems gone. At least with Motter around one line looked like they cared. Miller pouts when things don't go his way. Petey gets bullied by bigger players cause he's a stickman. Our 2nd line has Hoglander and occasionally Horvat. Our 3rd line has no identity. Our 4th line is missing their identity with Motter out. Our defense seemingly wants to see how many saves our goalies can make before they break with all these turnovers. Our coaching staff lacks any creativity. So many holes in our team right now we're lookin' like Swiss cheese.

Last game I hated when Russell hacked Petie in the ribs twice, no call. We really need somebody to respond to that. I'm sure the whole bench saw it. It was flagrant and gutless on our young star by a old faded vet. I wanted Myers to overlap and crush the weasel. In the old days a coach would tap Tiger or Gino or Brash on the shoulder. nuf said.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Hydration 3
1 hour ago, Time Lord said:

Tyler Myers - 6M
Loui Eriksson - 6M
Brandon Sutter - 4.375M
Michael Ferland - 3.5M
Roberto Luengo 3M
Antoinne Roussel - 3M
Jay Beagle - 3M
Jordie Benn - 2M
Sven Bartschi 2.291M
Ryan Spooner - 1.033M

I'd keep Myers at $4 (not interested  if other teams want to pay more, always something else available in everything in life)

$3 keep Luongo as Demko's Backup :rolleyes:  (What is Holtby making anyways, Don't see him on the list)?

Benn  is cheap enough experience

But why did we get in bidding wars for these other, that other veterans at 1/2 the price could have provided?

If some people are willing to give me $10000 for a 71 rusted Pinto, are you givin me $11000?

You pay what you are comfortable in what you think is good value, Paying Top dollar , is not good value

Edited by ba;;isticsports
4 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I'd keep Myers at $4 (not interested  if others want to pay more, always something else available in everything in life)

$3 keep Luongo as Demko's Backup :rolleyes:  (What is Holtby making anyways, Don't see him on the list)?

Benn  is cheap enough experience

But why did we get in bidding wars for these other, that other veterans at 1/2 the price could have provided?

If some people are willing to give me $10000 for a 71 rusted Pinto, are you givin me $11000?

You pay what you are comfortable in what you think is good value, Paying Top dollar , is not good value

Depends, if you're like a co-worker of mine and had a Ford 289 in his Pinto.

I'd scrap the car keep the engine and find a 1967 Mustang to put it in.