The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC opinions on the Canucks

Rate this topic

CanadianRugby

CDC Outlook for the Canucks  

137 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Are you more excited about Hoglander or Podkolzin? 

I might have to steal that one for a separate thread because that's a good one.

Podkolzin apparently the higher ceiling I think? But watching hogz play is like watching butter melt on toast. Super smooth!

I'm glad we have both of them though that's for sure

Edited by ImConfused
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I gotta say, this is a really well setup poll. Interested to read the results. Cheers. 

I'm kinda jealous because I thought I was the master of polls around here but his poll is significantly bigger and more interesting than mine

(that's NOT what she said!!)

13 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Your poll would be:

Hoglander

Podkolzin

Kit Kat Chunky

Stepping on Lego

Was tempted to edit in those last two but I wanted it to be an actual real discussion instead of an open invitation for half of our website to destroy me lol

Edited by ImConfused
  • Haha 2

We had a glimpse of how good this team can be last year in the bubble, this year is a setback which often happens with young teams but the future is still bright , lots of talent to build around, I would like a new coaching system on defence and special teams for next season, a return to a Pacific division, and replacing lost vets with more sandpaper. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Last game I hated when Russell hacked Petie in the ribs twice, no call. We really need somebody to respond to that. I'm sure the whole bench saw it. It was flagrant and gutless on our young star by a old faded vet. I wanted Myers to overlap and crush the weasel. In the old days a coach would tap Tiger or Gino or Brash on the shoulder. nuf said.

I agree someone should have done something, but I also feel Petey could also do something. Every star gets treated how Petey does, but they know sometimes they gotta unload to save face. Forsberg did against Virtanen. He was tired of getting thumped, dropped the mitts with a clearly tougher opponent.

Not saying Petey should do this exactly. But ya know. Defend yourself. Bulking up would go a long way in helping him defend himself. He gets shoved off pucks like a chihuahua humping someones leg. Softest legs I ever seen. Hoglander is a tank and is younger and is smaller in height. Players have no reason to fear Petey. 

• Like 1

The team just isn't that good

In our current lineup we have 6 or 7 forwards who would be 4th liners and spare forwards on a good team

In our current lineup we have 4 D that are top 6 on a good team. The 5th is an ok 3rd pair on a "interim" basis on a good team - the 6th would be in the AHL

Our goaternding is adequate

Head Coach - ok

Assistant coaches - need improvement, but also need more talent to work with, see system change comment below

Our PP does not seem to get the timely goal

We have little apparent on-ice leadership. When someihing goes wrong, they flounder. No one seems to take te bull by the horns, say "f*** this" and push/pull/drag the team forward - it's more like 18 skaters playing, rather than 1 team. 

We do not have a lot of forward support for our D when breaking out of our zone

The lack of talent somewhat hampers the ability of the coach to make system changes. We already play a collapse style of D, meanr to simplify the game defensively, and keep the opponent playing the perimeter. We don't do that well sometimes. Any other system that would imvolve more movement in our D zone would likely not be successful as the D aren't that style. I have more objection with our offensive system. We play too slow on offence

For the team to win more games, our 2nd line needs to score more. The opponents are focusing a lot of their attention on the lotto line, and QH. They know our 3rd and 4th won't score a lot, and we don't get a ton of goals from our D. If our 2nd line scores,it gives the other team more to think about defensively

The good

OJ has proven himself thus far. As the opponents build a "book" on him, he will need to continue to improve just to stay at the level he is at. There's noting to suggest he won't continue the upward trajectory

Hoglander

Cap relief coming in 2 stages, which will allow opportunity to sign/re-sign some players 

Demko shows signs that with continued development he could be a legit #1 making 70-75% of the starts

Marie Hui

CDC (for the most part)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ahh man this is a great thread. Actually. Made me really think about a lot of things. 

The team, albeit recent results, is actually trending in the right direction despite the downfalls since the cup run in 2011. Benning was left with jack sh** prospect wise when he was hired and a lot of players with NMC. Has he made mistakes? Of course. No GM is perfect. Is he the man moving forwards? Im on the fence but I don’t have a Vendetta against him like a majority of people do. His time here I feel is numbered and if he can’t right the ship after next season he will be gone and I can nearly guarantee that.  

Coaching is a concern. Green is a good coach but I don’t think he is going to get this team to the level it needs to be at. They have a good core and good supporting cast. IDGAF what people think the bottom six has been just fine this year and aren’t the root cause of the problems. The team as a whole simply isn’t playing the hockey they are capable of playing and I think a lot of that falls on the coaching staff. 

All good teams go through highs and lows until they reach their peak and this team is no different. I hate it when people continually slander everything that is done because this team is deprived of th ultimate goal. The Stanley Cup is the hardest trophy to win in all of sports for a reason. I believe they will win the cup sooner than later wether it’s with the current GM and coaching staff or not. Aquilini is willing to go that extra mile and spend the money in order to win which is why he is willing maximize the cap. He wants it just as bad as we all do. Just realize that winning in the NHL in today’s day and age is a decade + long process and will have a lot of highs and lows. 

• Cheers 1

A couple of more loses and management should switch directions. Starting planning for next year.

Pearson, Sutter, Jake and any one who is not part of the long term plans should be moved. If possible, for picks .

Bring up Lind and Gad. Take the rest of this year to continue to develop. Bring them in and PLAY them. Play OJ.