The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Montreal had ENOUGH & Fires Coach - Why Can't We ?

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

Montreal 9-5-4 with a Points % of .611  had enough and Fires Coach in disgust.

Vancouver 8-13-2 with a Points % of .391 with just 2 Wins in the entire Month of February and now the 3rd Worst Team in the Entire National Hockey League and getting worse by the day and Aqua-Lini wants to get a deal to Re-Sign him.   WHY?   

This culture of accepting defeat year after year after year is unacceptable.   If Aqua-Lini wants to support eternal losing he should sell the team and buy the Whitecaps.  This team needs some fresh blood and a team culture overhaul or we'll continue accepting defeat for another 50 years. At the least, TG MUST be shown the doorNO IF'S, ANDS OR BUTS !

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2

Kirk Muller is also part of the reason this happened - he's been saying for awhile that if you want good special teams get me better players - he's got them but little difference in results.   Both aren't very good, particularly their PK.  

Bergervin somehow survives in one of the leagues hottest and fan/media crazy markets ... been there for a decade now and made some very strange moves and hasn't drafted well either really.   Wasted his 3rd overall, traded Serg for Drouin...but also was heavily criticized for trading Subban and that's worked out ok for sure.    

Jullien might be an upgrade on TG, he might not be too.   One of his critiques is he won't play his young players enough ... Torts ... well a lot of good veteran coaches tend to do that don't they?   And this team's core is built around Horvat/Miller and younger aged guys right?   That said QHs is over utilized - i don't have a crystal ball, maybe he'd make a good coach here ... the Boston stink - has it washed off yet? 

I suspect this was in the works at the start of the year with all the new additions and considering MTL basically has gone all in at this point to make a push, the staff was told to make it work or pack your bags.   They've been back to their same old win lose win lose lose win win lose lose deal ... and maybe they just aren't that good. 

It's kind of funny watching the media talk about the Canadien's players comments as being red flags. They said there was negative energy, frustration and they were out of sync. Literally that's it. If those are red flags, there's air raid sirens going off every time Canuck players talk after losses.

It’s not going to turn the season around. These guys have seen enough change. Why put TG firing on their heads? Play out the season, and start fresh. The habs are still in it, they actually have something to lose.

Everyone acts like coaching systems are so complex and radically different around the league but they aren’t. The biggest difference from team to team are the players. I am personally tired of everyone blaming coaches and not holding players accountable. A lot of our losses can be attributed to turnovers and human error. How is that the coaches fault? You got veteran players like JT Miller throwing muffins cross ice leading to turnovers on a consistent basis. I don’t know what else you can do to remedy that. We don’t have the depth to scratch the guy. Do we need to put a headset in every players helmet so TG can tell them exactly what to do with the puck in real time?

Then you hear things like, “roll 4 lines” ok, are you really going to play Sutter as much as Horvat and expect to win? 

The Canucks didn't start the season with a 7-1-2 record, expected to be a top team, only to slump with a big slide after that start in the last 6 or 7 games. And, probably the most important part, the Canucks don't have a Ducharme already in their coaching staff that they are lining up to take over for the current coach.

But sure, if the Canadiens can do it, why not us - it's the same situation...

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Julien has a reputation for getting fired from good teams. From what I've heard players do not generally like him, so when things go south, he's gone very fast.

I guess conversely he has a history of being hired by good teams as well. 

Is it necessary that players like the coach? I wonder sometimes if its better if the relationship isn't too cozy.

From what I can tell, Julien has been in the hot seat for awhile.  The team was pretty bad last year.  Their hot start was a surprise (and fueled by particular success against the Canucks...) but I'm not necessarily surprised that Julien was fired.  I'm sure there's a lot not being said by management about the decision.

However good Carey Price is, he is is already past his prime.  He will probably still be an above average goalie for a few more years if he can stay healthy, but it's probably one of the main reasons the Habs acquired Allen.  Carey Price nearly single handedly gave them a window for success and they just haven't had it since 2013/2014 when they lost in the Conference Finals.  Weber is turning 36 this year also, so there are some key players who are quickly aging out, even if they might otherwise still be effective. 

As for how this connects to Green, I suppose management (and probably ownership, at this point anyway) sees the Canucks window as just starting and Green as having helped developed the core to where they are now.  If that's true, then whether that's the right take is certainly up for debate, but I can see why the team might be a bit more reticent about firing Green.

Personally my main metric of success right now is to see how well the young core of the Canucks can be supported in their transition into being the leaders of the team.  I'm not concerned about Horvat but I think there are still questions about Pettersson and Hughes.  I'm not saying they aren't good players but they're also forcing plays and, IMHO, trying to do too much because they are so confident in their skills.  It's good to see the team improving in that regard (the Edmonton loss was obviously not acceptable but it wasn't quite the dumpster fire we saw in that earlier stretch this season).

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Kirk Muller is also part of the reason this happened - he's been saying for awhile that if you want good special teams get me better players - he's got them but little difference in results.   Both aren't very good, particularly their PK.  

Bergervin somehow survives in one of the leagues hottest and fan/media crazy markets ... been there for a decade now and made some very strange moves and hasn't drafted well either really.   Wasted his 3rd overall, traded Serg for Drouin...but also was heavily criticized for trading Subban and that's worked out ok for sure.    

Jullien might be an upgrade on TG, he might not be too.   One of his critiques is he won't play his young players enough ... Torts ... well a lot of good veteran coaches tend to do that don't they?   And this team's core is built around Horvat/Miller and younger aged guys right?   That said QHs is over utilized - i don't have a crystal ball, maybe he'd make a good coach here ... the Boston stink - has it washed off yet? 

I suspect this was in the works at the start of the year with all the new additions and considering MTL basically has gone all in at this point to make a push, the staff was told to make it work or pack your bags.   They've been back to their same old win lose win lose lose win win lose lose deal ... and maybe they just aren't that good. 

Julien has been playing their youth.  No forward plays more than Nick Suzuki who is 21.  He averages a minute more than Toffoli who is 2nd.   Rookie D Romanov plays 4.5 minutes more per game than Juolevi.  Even rookie Evans who is last in TOI and plays on their 4th line averages 12 minutes per game when Gaudette is at 10 minutes and MacEwen even less.  

• Cheers 1