The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Montreal had ENOUGH & Fires Coach - Why Can't We ?

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

really weak use of language on his part (at best) - or perhaps just intentional weak smarm material.

The Habs 'ambition' is to contend this season.

The Canucks are not near ready to. 

Their 'ambition' was to be competitive while integrating yet another wave of youth into an already young lineup.  Another rookie D, another rookie top 6, and a goaltender whose entering his 'rookie' starting opportunity.

"organizationally' is a horrible way of attempting to finesse it, as if it's otherwise a 'logical equivalency'.

It's Sportsnet 650, they are usually very supportive of management and careful to not rock the boat with their criticism compared to say 1040. Soft/Weak and careful language is expected.

But, I think the fact that Sat feels comfortable enough to post this speaks volumes of how bad it's gotten.

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Cool do the leafs now 

Are you suggesting the Leafs should fire Keefe for failing to make the playoffs last season?

You make an interesting point.

The Habs made the playoffs.

The Leafs failed to.

Fire Keefe!

Btw - this is a Habs fire their coach, why can't we, thread.

Edited by oldnews

44 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Cool do the leafs now 

3 of the Leafs top 17 scorers are under the age of 26.

1 is a lottery champion at 11.6 million, 1 a 4th overall at 10.9 million, and the 3rd an 8th overall, at 7 million.

they have one player in their lineup that they drafted outside the top 10

(Travis Dermott - a 3rd pairing D who has 1 pt in 17 games with 60% ozone starts).

what else would you like me to look up for you?

Edited by oldnews
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Cool do the leafs now 

In Oldnews' format as of Feb 25th:

The Leafs have 9 players on the roster that are 25 and under (3 of their top 5 scorers, 23,23,24, Rielly is 26 but also in the top 5). 13 players if you raise that arbitrary age threshold to 26. 

The Leafs are entering their a win now mode having burned their core's ELCs:

Their best players in the core are still young

Matthews 23

Marner 23

Nylander 24

Rielly 26

Supported by a surrounding cast of decent veterans

Tavares 30

Andersen 31

Muzzin 31

Hyman 28

Thornton 41

Spezza 37

That's their top 4 = 23, 23, 24, 30 - and their starter 31 yrs old.

Most of their top scorers are youth and locked in at a high price till 2024 (Tavares the one exception among their top 5 scorers). Leafs are a top heavy team. Their (primary) scoring also comes from that young core, all efforts of management is to add to that core.  (52% of all their points this year came from their top 5 guys, conversely Canucks 56% comes from our top 5 guys). 

Leafs hamstrung themselves overpaying Matthews and Marner. I thought would be in a world of hurt navigating the cap but they've done well so far on a year by year approach (damnit gilman :(). their biggest challenge is finding the value and cheap bottom six guys, I wouldn't count them out of cap hell yet, but being in Toronto does give them the hometown discount advantage for cheap vets to come back (Spezza, Thornton, Simmonds). Much of their success will depend on the play of Tavares for the next few years.

One thing they've done so far is navigate the cap crunch and added depth that produces. Outside their top 5 players, Leafs have 4 players who are over 10 pts (Muzzin, Hyman, Kerfoot, Spezza). Conversely with the Nucks, we only have 1 (Myers). So their depth is serving them well so far.

Keep in mind too the Leafs have played 2 games less than us and are scoring at a higher clip.

I still think they're a ways away from contending against Tampa, Vegas or the Avs, but they've made playoffs consistently since they drafted Matthews. And depending if they can still find depth value to navigate around that over priced core,  can make a run for it when Matthews and Marner continue into their primes. On paper they're fine, but it's intangibles to succeed in the playoffs that are the question marks here, that's probably where they are hoping Spezza, thornton and Simmonds can provide that extra push to succeed.

Edited by DSVII
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Zhukini said:

I’m answering his question lol. One team still has playoff aspirations and the other is waiting for the year to end. Or the roster is simply awful, pick your poison. 

meh at any rate, until the final pieces come together you could have the best coach in hockey history and it wouldn't make a difference but if people want to believe otherwise, it's their problem.

People need to look at it like taking a vehicle into the shop but still waiting for proper parts, you could have the best mechanic in the world but without the parts they couldn't fix it any better than anyone else..

I know, I know, maybe that's being captain obvious to most but a lot of people seem to think there's some sort of easy solve but there isn't, we all want it to be different but it's just not no matter how much whining goes on . 

9 hours ago, DSVII said:

It's Sportsnet 650, they are usually very supportive of management and careful to not rock the boat with their criticism compared to say 1040. Soft/Weak and careful language is expected.

But, I think the fact that Sat feels comfortable enough to post this speaks volumes of how bad it's gotten.

650 seems normal to me, 1040 relied on negativity, win or lose. 1040 took a page out of the Youtubers: negativity sells. 

5 hours ago, smokes said:

Green is not the problem. Benning is. 

I’ve always said we’d never win a Cup under AV, since day one I said Green is not a playoff coach, I’ve been sporting my siggy since I joined and I’m leading the predict the score contest, trust me, Green is the problem.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I’ve always said we’d never win a Cup under AV, since day one I said Green is not a playoff coach, I’ve been sporting my siggy since I joined and I’m leading the predict the score contest, trust me, Green is the problem.

AMEN !   

(nothing to add to that !)

On 2/25/2021 at 6:57 AM, Convincing John said:

It’s not going to turn the season around. These guys have seen enough change. Why put TG firing on their heads? Play out the season, and start fresh. The habs are still in it, they actually have something to lose.

Everyone acts like coaching systems are so complex and radically different around the league but they aren’t. The biggest difference from team to team are the players. I am personally tired of everyone blaming coaches and not holding players accountable. A lot of our losses can be attributed to turnovers and human error. How is that the coaches fault? You got veteran players like JT Miller throwing muffins cross ice leading to turnovers on a consistent basis. I don’t know what else you can do to remedy that. We don’t have the depth to scratch the guy. Do we need to put a headset in every players helmet so TG can tell them exactly what to do with the puck in real time?

Then you hear things like, “roll 4 lines” ok, are you really going to play Sutter as much as Horvat and expect to win? 

Okay. So this system that coach Green has implemented is the same as last year. The defensive holes were always there, but Tanev and Markstrom hid them significantly. Stetcher was a role player. Nothing more, nothing less. 

This as much of a fault as it is with Benning, Green and the players. But Green does deserve the criticism for not adapting.

Question, why is Schmidt so bad after being so good in LV on the top pairing? Baumer.

Who manages minutes and benches/scratches people after scoring? Ala Virtanen, Juolevi? Green.

Look at the amount of minutes he gives Macewen. Holy crap.

• RoughGame 1

6 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Okay. So this system that coach Green has implemented is the same as last year. The defensive holes were always there, but Tanev and Markstrom hid them significantly. Stetcher was a role player. Nothing more, nothing less. 

This as much of a fault as it is with Benning, Green and the players. But Green does deserve the criticism for not adapting.

Question, why is Schmidt so bad after being so good in LV on the top pairing? Baumer.

Who manages minutes and benches/scratches people after scoring? Ala Virtanen, Juolevi? Green.

Look at the amount of minutes he gives Macewen. Holy crap.

Schmidt played on the Stanley cup favourite last season. The entire team is deep. It doesn’t matter when he is on the ice, he was sounded by good players. They also have a brand, an identity. Heavy, fast, and tight checking. We don’t have that foundation of players to play that game.

Honestly, Tanev wasn’t on the ice 100% of the time. I’ve never seen breakaways like this before. 90’s Hasek wouldn’t be able to steal us games. Everything can be traced back to human error.