The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Filip Chlapik

8 minutes ago, oldnews said:

was a decent  bet to make the Sens roster 3 years ago - but he's sort of idled since...

wonder what the story behind the termination is - he's an RFA only making 735k....

70K in the AHL where he is and it’s pro-rated for the shortened season.  Might not be worth it if he has a better option back home.  He played for Sparta Prag during the off-season.

• Thanks 1

I guess just a mutual cutting of ties, freeing Chlapik to return to Czech, and the Sens clear a contract slot.

I’m seeing lots of fans on Sens twitter lamenting the loss, and saying he should have been gifted a 4th like role with the NHL club, but looking at Chlapik’s development curve, he’s really nothing special, after starting out a fairly highly touted junior and high draft pick.

As far as 23 year old Czech centres go, Chlapik has comparable AHL production  to our own Lukas Jasek, with inferior Czech men’s level results, and a downward development curve, versus Jasek’s upward trajectory.

So basically like us parting ways with Jasek (or arguably a lesser asset).

I mean, I’d be sad to see a guy like Jasek go (he is my son, after all ;)), but in terms of organizational depth, and “asset management,” cutting ties with Chlapik is pretty small potatoes.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I guess just a mutual cutting of ties, freeing Chlapik to return to Czech, and the Sens clear a contract slot.

I’m seeing lots of fans on Sens twitter lamenting the loss, and saying he should have been gifted a 4th like role with the NHL club, but looking at Chlapik’s development curve, he’s really nothing special, after starting out a fairly highly touted junior and high draft pick.

As far as 23 year old Czech centres go, Chlapik has comparable AHL production  to our own Lukas Jasek, with inferior Czech men’s level results, and a downward development curve, versus Jasek’s upward trajectory.

So basically like us parting ways with Jasek (or arguably a lesser asset).

I mean, I’d be sad to see a guy like Jasek go (he is my son, after all ;)), but in terms of organizational depth, and “asset management,” cutting ties with Chlapik is pretty small potatoes.

Did we let Jasek go?

Your son, @aGENT's prom date... :unsure:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Did we let Jasek go?

Your son, @aGENT's prom date... :unsure:

No no no!!!

I just meant the Sens letting Chlapik go would be a similar organizational move to *IF* we let Jasek go (except Chlapik is arguably a lesser asset, based on their development trajectories).

But Jasek is still very much a Canucks property.

My son is currently tearing up the AHL, posting some of the best numbers on the Comets, while playing a challenging shutdown/matchup role, and as a converted centreman. 

So proud of my boy, and he’s not leaving the organization any time soon.

(Not sure how I feel about him dating @aGENT, however. ;))

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

No no no!!!

I just meant the Sens letting Chlapik go would be a similar organizational move to *IF* we let Jasek go (except Chlapik is arguably a lesser asset, based on their development trajectories).

But Jasek is still very much a Canucks property.

My son is currently tearing up the AHL, posting some of the best numbers on the Comets, while playing a challenging shutdown/matchup role, and as a converted centreman. 

So proud of my boy, and he’s not leaving the organization any time soon.

(Not sure how I feel about him dating @aGENT, however. ;))

I'm his favourite uncle, not dating him.

@Canuck Surfer must be confused because that's how his parents met...

:bigblush:

• Haha 4

So this is a reminder that 1st and 2nd round picks don't always make it. And it sucks if you have a GM that doesn't develop any players in the 1st or 2nd round, ala GIllis. Regardless of what excuses that you make for him (i.e. W3 W3RE ON W1N MODE!), a team just doesn't do well in the long term without drafting and developing. For all the faults that Benning has made, at the very minimum, he has put the Canucks in a good position, future wise.

Meanwhile in OTT... imagine them being so bad that they draft high, but they not produce as many exciting pieces as we have. Sure they do have a blue chip prospect or two, but overall, their depth is still very much in progress, DESPITE losing as much as they have.

Edited by Dazzle