The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] LeBrun: Benning seeking a young top-9 forward for the Canucks

44 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

I rather sign someone else, sutter is not worth more than a million at this stage. Love to get someone like coleman.

yeah I do wonder when Sutter's groin is finally going to explode. Duct tape and yoga are probably keeping him together. 

42 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I get the appeal, they're just tough players to find. Centers are valuable. 

Boone Jenner would be neat, but given that he's due for a new contract at the end of next season it'd just be kicking the problem down the road even if he was acquired.

After poking through capgeek I've noticed there aren't really many players in the vein of a defensive center who look like they'll be hitting the open market this offseason. If you wanted a stopgap you could always try bringing Brad Richardson back cheap, but he's 36.. 

Nick Paul would have to be traded for, but he wouldn't be a bad acquisition. I see him being someone Ottawa wants to keep though.

We very well could see Sutter come back.

yup thats the exercise I did and ended up wanting to overpay for Lowry. Outside of drafting and developing, its expensive trades or expensive UFAs to fill key needs. 

20 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah I do wonder when Sutter's groin is finally going to explode. Duct tape and yoga are probably keeping him together. 

yup thats the exercise I did and ended up wanting to overpay for Lowry. Outside of drafting and developing, its expensive trades or expensive UFAs to fill key needs. 

What's what it might take. But if he's unavailable that's where things get kinda interesting due to the lack of options. 

Perhaps trying to package one of Jake/Gaudette with other assets to acquire such a player is the way to go. Young untouchables being Rathbone, Woo, Podz, and Hoglander. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Sutter is tough to play against, but yeah he isn't that "tough" player that has a physical deterrent element. 

It will be an interesting offseason, yet again. 

I am totally up for some size and toughness.  Just think it isn’t wise to pay through the nose for it.

Gudas could be had for close to nothing as he will be exposed in expansion.  Tryamkin can be had for nothing but a low cap hit.

Will Chicago be able to protect a guy like Connor Murphy or could we pick him up for a 2nd and 3rd we could get moving out rentals this season?  

That is just quickly thinking about D... I could probably go through bottom six forwards that would be available in expansion for pennies on the dollar.  This is not the year to blow you brains out by overpaying for a UFA.  We are in a position with a bunch of extra protection slots we don’t really need to use and can get upgrades on in that process.  Teams that don’t have that luxury are going to be paying extra in the UFA market to replace the guys they lost.

Big tough guys for the bottom of the roster are pretty easy to find commodities.  We don’t need one dedicated fighter, we just need a few more guys who are hard to play against and can come to the fore when games get chippy.

Edited by Provost

1 hour ago, Provost said:

I am totally up for some size and toughness.  Just think it isn’t wise to pay through the nose for it.

Gudas could be had for close to nothing as he will be exposed in expansion.  Tryamkin can be had for nothing but a low cap hit.

Will Chicago be able to protect a guy like Connor Murphy or could we pick him up for a 2nd and 3rd we could get moving out rentals this season?  

That is just quickly thinking about D... I could probably go through bottom six forwards that would be available in expansion for pennies on the dollar.  This is not the year to blow you brains out by overpaying for a UFA.  We are in a position with a bunch of extra protection slots we don’t really need to use and can get upgrades on in that process.  Teams that don’t have that luxury are going to be paying extra in the UFA market to replace the guys they lost.

Big tough guys for the bottom of the roster are pretty easy to find commodities.  We don’t need one dedicated fighter, we just need a few more guys who are hard to play against and can come to the fore when games get chippy.

That’s why I wouldn’t mind an Adam Lowry this off-season depending on the cap and I wanted to go after Zadorov last off-season. 

The biggest thing we need is for someone to lead us physically.  Ferland was gonna be that sort of guy but it is what it is. I find when you have a guy Like Ferland it makes others step up their physicality knowing they have good back up. Chara in Boston is another example. 

• Vintage 1

17 hours ago, Provost said:

not with skill they aren't though. There's a pretty big gap between those guys and a player like Lowry.

I know what you're saying, but show me a team that hasn't filled a few final needs by not overpaying on some aspect. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Coconuts said:

What's what it might take. But if he's unavailable that's where things get kinda interesting due to the lack of options. 

Perhaps trying to package one of Jake/Gaudette with other assets to acquire such a player is the way to go. Young untouchables being Rathbone, Woo, Podz, and Hoglander. 

I don't think Jakes value is much above a 3rd round pick at this point.. maybe AG can get us more but he's not exactly having a great season either, I think we'd be selling pretty low on these guys. I think I'd rather just keep AG on as a top 9 winger and see if he finally puts it all together next year. 

But who knows, maybe there's someone that gets shaken loose due to expansion that we can protect that fits a need better? 

I don't think Jakes value is much above a 3rd round pick at this point.. maybe AG can get us more but he's not exactly having a great season either, I think we'd be selling pretty low on these guys. I think I'd rather just keep AG on as a top 9 winger and see if he finally puts it all together next year. 

But who knows, maybe there's someone that gets shaken loose due to expansion that we can protect that fits a need better? 

You're probably right, it's just that bringing someone in likely requires our moving someone out. Between Pettersson, Hughes, Demko, and maybe Edler and Hamonic we won't have much space left for improvements. And that's not even factoring in whoever we bring in/retain as 3c. We're gonna have to find a way to dump some cap. 

Loui should be gone, maybe Roussel. Myers is a possibility if he's exposed, but I don't think he should be. I don't think we'll be able to afford to retain Pearson. 

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

You're probably right, it's just that bringing someone in likely requires our moving someone out. Between Pettersson, Hughes, Demko, and maybe Edler and Hamonic we won't have much space left for improvements. And that's not even factoring in whoever we bring in/retain as 3c. We're gonna have to find a way to dump some cap. 

Loui should be gone, maybe Roussel. Myers is a possibility if he's exposed, but I don't think he should be. I don't think we'll be able to afford to retain Pearson. 

I do wonder if Edler is the next veteran they let walk.... could we get by with?

Hughes-Hamonic

Juolevi-Myers

Rathbone-Schmidt

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Blake Coleman? Isn't he a winger?

Yes - he is.

It is often very misleading to look at sites representations of players (ie many will list Coleman as a "C").  However, they are very often inaccurate - or simply reflect the natural position of the player from long ago - as a prospect or what they played entering the NHL.

Coleman has taken 6 draws this season.

You have to go back to 2017/18 - the last season where he played a balance of center minutes...he's a 42.8% career faceoff guy.

He may come with the 'natural' defensive instincts/development of a center, but at the NHL level, he's effectively a winger.

• Cheers 1

I do wonder if Edler is the next veteran they let walk.... could we get by with?

Hughes-Hamonic

Juolevi-Myers

Rathbone-Schmidt

It's possible, but I'd be surprised tbh. I honestly don't see Rathbone making the team full time, he's had a great start in Utica but he could still benefit from time down there.

I'm also not really keen on our left side being made up of a third year player, a near rookie, and a rookie. You're not going to get a better vet at a better price than we would get in Edler, and it's unlikely he's prepared to play elsewhere. He's gradually declining but he still brings value to this club. There's also the question of side on our left side, Rathbone's a thick dude and Juolevi ain't exactly small but still. 

25 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Yes - he is.

It is often very misleading to look at sites representations of players (ie many will list Coleman as a "C").  However, they are very often inaccurate - or simply reflect the natural position of the player from long ago - as a prospect or what they played entering the NHL.

Coleman has taken 6 draws this season.

You have to go back to 2017/18 - the last season where he played a balance of center minutes...he's a 42.8% career faceoff guy.

He may come with the 'natural' defensive instincts/development of a center, but at the NHL level, he's effectively a winger.

That's what I thought, and yeah some of those sites like capfriendly, ect can be misleading. We've already got plenty of wingers, Coleman could bring value but we're ikely facing a cap crunch as is. 

22 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It's possible, but I'd be surprised tbh. I honestly don't see Rathbone making the team full time, he's had a great start in Utica but he could still benefit from time down there.

I'm also not really keen on our left side being made up of a third year player, a near rookie, and a rookie. You're not going to get a better vet at a better price than we would get in Edler, and it's unlikely he's prepared to play elsewhere. He's gradually declining but he still brings value to this club. There's also the question of side on our left side, Rathbone's a thick dude and Juolevi ain't exactly small but still. 

That's what I thought, and yeah some of those sites like capfriendly, ect can be misleading. We've already got plenty of wingers, Coleman could bring value but we're ikely facing a cap crunch as is. 

sorry I forgot about our pal Nik:

Hughes-Hamonic

Juolevi-Myers

Tryamkin-Schmidt

Rathbone 

19 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd take Tryamkin over Benn

I actually think they're almost a wash at this point. I really don't see Tryamkin being nearly as good in the NHL as he is over in Russia. If he had stayed in Vancouver and developed his game in the NHL it would've been a different story but I feel that chance is gone.

As for the forwards, I do like your suggestion of Lowry. I'd love to see both him and Scott Laughton added. I'm not sure if Philly will let him go but they do need to resign Hart, Sanheim and Patrick this year along with Giroux, Couturier, Farabee and Hagg next year. Laughton would be an excellent fit at either 3C or 2LW in place of Pearson. Having Pettersson, Horvat, Laughton and Lowry down the middle would be incredible.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, zduck14 said:

I actually think they're almost a wash at this point. I really don't see Tryamkin being nearly as good in the NHL as he is over in Russia. If he had stayed in Vancouver and developed his game in the NHL it would've been a different story but I feel that chance is gone.

As for the forwards, I do like your suggestion of Lowry. I'd love to see both him and Scott Laughton added. I'm not sure if Philly will let him go but they do need to resign Hart, Sanheim and Patrick this year along with Giroux, Couturier, Farabee and Hagg next year. Laughton would be an excellent fit at either 3C or 2LW in place of Pearson. Having Pettersson, Horvat, Laughton and Lowry down the middle would be incredible.

I used to think that as well, but the KHL is a good league and now with him playing on smaller ice there really isn't a learning curve like before. I see big improvements in his mobility and his willingness to engage physically, all of which should work over here too. 

Lowry and Laughton would transform the bottom 6 for years, 

Here is our top 6 scoring winger that we need desperately.....

May be hard for the Rangers to trade Buchnevich but they may not be able to afford his next deal

Larry Brooks of the NY Post: The New York Rangers will have some decisions to make on forward Pavel Buchnevich before the trade deadline. Heading into the season it appeared that the Rangers would eventually look at moving the soon-to-be 26-year old at the trade deadline. He’s a pending RFA with arbitration rights. Things may now have changed since he’s their leading point producer heading into this week – 22 points in 26 games.

If they were to move Buchnevich, they may want to get a top-six center who is sort of young, or a grinding winger that is in the mold of Maple Leafs Zach Hyman. Both of these ideas seem unlikely.

It may now take a long-term deal in the $5.5 million range.

On 3/10/2021 at 10:24 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

Hughes-Hamonic

Juolevi-Myers

Rathbone-Schmidt

We could I’d rather leave Myers exposed and hope Seattle takes him.  He’s solid but for 6 million we could do better.  Also I think even at this age Edler is better than Myers and he may sign a fair amount cheaper this time due to the flat cap, his age and to stay in Vancouver. 

Edited by brian42
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, brian42 said:

We could I’d rather leave Myers exposed and hope Seattle takes him.  He’s solid but for 6 million we could do better.  Also I think even at this age Edler is better than Myers and he may sign a fair amount cheaper this time due to the flat cap, his age and to stay in Vancouver. 

Edler wasn't great tonight, but if he came back on a very friendly deal like 2 mil for one year sure why not? 

On 3/9/2021 at 2:20 PM, Provost said:

I continue to be amazed by your optimism. .. :)

regards,  G.