The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] LeBrun: Benning seeking a young top-9 forward for the Canucks

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Yzerman was able to become a shut down forward in his late 20’s in a much bigger harder to play in league for a guy of his size. To write Hughes off this early on the defensive side is laughable honestly. 

It's not the size of a dog in a fight (not that I am condoning dog fights in any way) but the size of the fight in the dog.

Yzerman.jpg

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Yzerman was able to become a shut down forward in his late 20’s in a much bigger harder to play in league for a guy of his size. To write Hughes off this early on the defensive side is laughable honestly. 

Yzerman was tough as nails from day 1.

What's laughable is how insecure this fanbase is.

Just now, stawns said:

Yzerman was tough as nails from day 1.

What's laughable is how insecure this fanbase is.

Defensive play is mostly about intelligence Hughes is more than capable to learn the defensive side. Nothing about being “insecure” 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

This is true. He needs a proper right shot, defensive dman paired with him. NOT Benn. Hughes was fine with Schenn and Tanev. It has bugged me from the beginning how Hughes gets written off defensively. I've heard it a lot and it's mostly Eastern media that don't watch him enough and write this crap based on his size. I watched Makar  a lot last year and he can be an adventure in his own zone too. Hughes is struggling this year at times trying to do too much and for gods sakes Green, too much ice time for the kid. When Hughes is on he is positioned smart on the right side of checks and has an excellent stick. He's fine. Get him a Methot like how E Karlson got one and the kid is fine. No way in hell do I trade the young man. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

14 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Every player on this team is tradeable.  Did i just see someone say Brock and Hughes were untouchable?  Some fans need a reality check.

You don't trade your young superstar kids it makes zero sense.

Even if we blew it up the chances of landing that calibre with picks is very small.

If a hockey trade was made it would  be a lateral move, then we would be looking for the exact same type of players we just traded. Only big name I would move would be JT, but only for a guy like Seth Jones.

48 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Defensive play is mostly about intelligence Hughes is more than capable to learn the defensive side. Nothing about being “insecure” 

Defensive play for fwds has a definite intelligence element, but on defense it always has and always will be overwhelmingly about size and strength.

1 minute ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

You don't trade your young superstar kids it makes zero sense.

Even if we blew it up the chances of landing that calibre with picks is very small.

If a hockey trade was made it would  be a lateral move, then we would be looking for the exact same type of players we just traded. Only big name I would move would be JT, but only for a guy like Seth Jones.

You do if it's for a big, young legit # cman that youve never had in your org.

Here's what I don't get about the collective handwringerz hyperventilating about the suggestion that Hughes is traceable........what's the #1 complaint by the fan base?  To me, it's that they're too soft.  Well, you have a core that is undersized and relatively soft.  You don't think that they need to change that up?

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

You do if it's for a big, young legit # cman that youve never had in your org.

Here's what I don't get about the collective handwringerz hyperventilating about the suggestion that Hughes is traceable........what's the #1 complaint by the fan base?  To me, it's that they're too soft.  Well, you have a core that is undersized and relatively soft.  You don't think that they need to change that up?

For 11 years it was for a puck moving scoring top pairing d man....

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Rafalski is a pretty good comparable.  Would you lean on Rafalski as your #1 damn in the playoffs?

I would certainly play him to his strengths and right now that is his offensive transitional game and PP quarterback prowess. NJ had Rafalski and so did Detroit for some solid cup runs and he was an integral part. I can see Quinn developing to be defensively sound like Rafalski but with far superior offensive upside. But between now and then the Canucks certainly need more help keeping pucks out of our net but I am hopeful Juolevi can become the second coming of Edler. Even if that does come to be, we are still in desperate need of a top pairing shutdown D on our right side and those players you almost have to draft or pay a premium via trade.

Right now it's not fair to lean on Hughes as our number 1 D in the playoffs as we know his defensive game needs some seasoning but I believe his game will evolve so that we can lean on him, in all situations in the playoffs. His strength, confidence and conditioning should only continue to improve, as well with the rest of our young core.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, 70seven said:

Really?

Common man...  Quinn Hughes is in his second year.  He looks to be a ppg dman...  something this franchise has never had....  Ya I think it’s safe to say that he’s not available outside someone selling the farm. 

I mean technically he's not wrong, I'd certainly consider Hughes for Provorov, Frost and a 1st...

But come on...

On 2/26/2021 at 12:59 PM, canuktravella said:

green is a bad coach    jake should be playing top minutes with petey  but until green is fired hes gonna be 5-7 mins a night

Jake does not deserve top minutes, he hasn't earned sh#t this year

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, rekker said:

This is true. He needs a proper right shot, defensive dman paired with him. NOT Benn. Hughes was fine with Schenn and Tanev. It has bugged me from the beginning how Hughes gets written off defensively. I've heard it a lot and it's mostly Eastern media that don't watch him enough and write this crap based on his size. I watched Makar  a lot last year and he can be an adventure in his own zone too. Hughes is struggling this year at times trying to do too much and for gods sakes Green, too much ice time for the kid. When Hughes is on he is positioned smart on the right side of checks and has an excellent stick. He's fine. Get him a Methot like how E Karlson got one and the kid is fine. No way in hell do I trade the young man. 

Good points, QH aint getting traded unless JB realizes he is a lame duck GM but Aquaman should still have some sense to veto any trade.   I have not seen Schmidt with him yet ...

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

On 2/27/2021 at 1:35 PM, PhillipBlunt said:

:lol:

Every defenseman isn’t playing up to their potential under Baumgartner’s pathetic systems.

Hughes is the type of defenseman that all other teams in the league would covet. Under a functioning defense coach he and the other defensemen would flourish. 

Baumer has to go or the whole coaching staff will be gone soon

• Vintage 1

20 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

If Gretzky can get traded. ....

Nah that was more than 3 decades ago...

Quinn is not type of player a team trades... surround him with talent let him go to work.. he's only 21..

Hughes EP Horvat.. 3 untouchables on our team.. 

Edit typos

No one is untradeable

2 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

We're talking about trading Hughes?

This fanbase is losing it.

I agree we should not trade Hughes. He is a generational type defenceman and all signs show him being elite for at least a decade. Him and Petey should be untouchables.

If a team so desires to bankrupt themselves for either of these two, I would demand the following;

3 first rounders, a good NHL top 6 forward or top 4 defenceman and a top prospect in that same category. 

Edited by grandmaster