The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] LeBrun: Benning seeking a young top-9 forward for the Canucks

17 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Guess Colorado has got it wrong too then. This ain’t the 90s. Things have changed dramatically. Cant just be big. Intelligence, mobility, gaps and positioning make a good defencemen. 

A good team has a balance of size, mobility, intelligence throughout their top 6. Very few big defencemen in the league have all these traits.

Finding a balance on you’re blue line is the key to success 

Absolutely agree, but Hughes is going to get superstar money because of his point production, which means compromising on other contracts.  

I do like your example of Colorado who traded their 3rd oa franchise player and made their team far better in the process

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

59 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

I probably have a hard time since Hughes is better than Dahlin. I think Petersson will improve but Eichel is also a franchise player. The value is even given the potential. We would get the better forward now, and give up the better D.

Regretfully, I think I would do this trade.  Although Pete and Quinn are fantastic players and a lot of fun to watch, I believe Eichel and Dahlin are more complete players.  Most fans will give the edge to Eichel, so that's a no-brainer.  In my mind, Dahlin plays tough minutes; including the pp and the pk.  He puts up a lot of points and plays a physical game.  In the coming years, he will develop into a significant

IMO, the Canucks win this trade.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, laddie said:

The Athletic just released its Trade Deadline Big Board and there are a few interesting names like Clayton Keller.  Unfortunately we don’t have the cap space or assets to trade for someone like that.

https://theathletic.com/2414935/2021/03/01/nhl-trade-deadline-board-jack-eichel/

Although young kinda wonder if his production will be in line with his contract 

49 minutes ago, stawns said:

Absolutely agree, but Hughes is going to get superstar money because of his point production, which means compromising on other contracts.  

I do like your example of Colorado who traded their 3rd oa franchise player and made their team far better in the process

The difference of trading a 27 year old vs a 21 year old is different. Also wonder if the avs would have a had a cup last year if they didn’t trade O’Rielly. Food for thought 

7 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

The difference of trading a 27 year old vs a 21 year old is different. Also wonder if the avs would have a had a cup last year if they didn’t trade O’Rielly. Food for thought 

fair point

1 hour ago, DefCon1 said:

what is your point? are you saying we should trade Hughes? If it comes to that, we should also trade Petersson and Boeser too and rebuild again because that is what you are suggesting. Hughes drives our offense, you get rid of him then who will provide offense and be a PP QB for us? Myers? Benn? give me a break. This is as assinine as saying Boeser or Miller should be traded since they are a liability when it comes to defense. Canucks would have a worst record than Sens if Hughes was not here, trust me. We lack offense already, we dont need to reduce it even more. You were probably the guy that praised Hughes last year.

Wow, suitable name Defcon

Defense (Hughes) readiness condition (Good thing your finger isn't on the button in the real world in the USAF)

What is wrong with you? Puberty or hormonal issues?

Asking what my point is and then assuming and reacting to what you assumed,  it was ?

When you said, this is as "assinine" you must have meant  this is  as assasme? (surely not asinine)

I never put down Hughes or said he should be traded, many are talking about his offense and his lack of defense (which is fair points)

If he was excelling at defense as  his offense he would be a superstar, for now he is a star

I wasn't making a point, i was asking a question, that if we never had a offensive defenseman before Quinn why didn't we try putting Goldy or another playmaking forward we had on contract back on defense that we never had room up front for?

5 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

the only trades he should be making are trading away Pearson, Sutter, Benn, Edler for picks

At this point, in this crap season, getting picks is the best option. Roussel should be the first on the list. Although, I don't know why a team would trade for that slack-ass.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

At this point, in this crap season, getting picks is the best option. Roussel should be the first on the list. Although, I don't know why a team would trade for that slack-ass.

We need to clear out all our UFA’s before the deadline 

unless Edler wants to take a huge pay cut to stay 

• Cheers 1

Just now, canuck2288 said:

We need to clear out all our UFA’s before the deadline 

unless Edler wants to take a huge pay cut to stay 

I doubt he'll waive to allow a trade. He's been approached before by Benning and refused, so I can't see what would change now. I wouldn't pay him $6M if he decides to re-sign. 

13 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Would be curious to know as well. 

Also, I wonder if some of our slumping players this season would do well under Gallant and his system? 

How is Green and Gallant different in their coaching and systems? 

Gallant is more demanding and he handles defense side of game..

Paul Coffey in Edmonton and Paul Coffey in Pittsburgh were too different players.. Bowman wasn't having none of that.. 

5 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

I probably have a hard time since Hughes is better than Dahlin. I think Petersson will improve but Eichel is also a franchise player. The value is even given the potential. We would get the better forward now, and give up the better D.

Dahlin is a year younger 6'3 and a complete Dman. In couple of yrs he will rule the NHL blue line. 

Love Hughes but he's a 1 dimensional offensive small short Dman..

I'd give up Hughes plus cpl mid round picks plus Lind for Dahlin... maybe more..

10 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Dahlin is a year younger 6'3 and a complete Dman. In couple of yrs he will rule the NHL blue line. 

Love Hughes but he's a 1 dimensional offensive small short Dman..

I'd give up Hughes plus cpl mid round picks plus Lind for Dahlin... maybe more..

Yeah Dahlin > Hughes if we’re trying to win games.  

Hughes > Dahlin for entertainment value, by far. 

2021 NHL trade bait board

1. Mattias Ekholm – one-year at $3.75 million
2. Jack Eichel – five years at $10 million
3. Chris Driedger – $850,000 – UFA
4. Filip Forsberg – one-year at $6 million
5. Rickard Rakell – one-year at $3.789 million
6. Clayton Keller – six years at $7.15 million
7. Dylan Strome – one-year at $3 million
8. Brandon Sutter – $4.375 million – UFA
9. Mikael Granlund – $3.75 million – UFA
10. Kyle Palmieri – $4.65 million – UFA
11. Alex Wennberg – $2.25 million – UFA