The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] LeBrun: Benning seeking a young top-9 forward for the Canucks

7 minutes ago, gurn said:

Clayton Keller 258 games, 60 goals 112 assists    172 points. @ $7,150,000 for 6 more seasons

Jake Virtanen 299 games  51 goals 45 assists        96 points @  $2,550,000 for 1 more season.

interesting comp. I wouldn't have guessed they'd be that close in goals. 

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

casey-mittelstadt-struggles-to-complete-

Fwiw:

“Our strength coach noticed right away that his shoulder was a little out of alignment,” coach Don Lucia said. “He got him fixed with manipulation, and [Mittelstadt] was able to do a half-dozen [pull ups] right after that.”

• RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

wow is Mittelstadt in 'bust' territory now? 

I am happy to trade them Virtanen and Rafferty for their Mittelstadt "bust" right now!  :)

Gaudette+Baertschi for Mittelstadt?

Gaudette, Virtanen, Roussel for Mittelstadt and Eakin?

Any combination that results in us having a lower cap hit for the bottom of the lineup?  Eakin actually isn't a terrible, cheap short term fill in for a 3C until we can develop/find aother one.

Buffalo needs yet another rebuild as something is still wrong with their roster makeup... the whole doesn't add up to the individual talents.

Edited by Provost

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

I am happy to trade them Virtanen and Rafferty for their Mittelstadt "bust" right now!  :)

yeah I'd do that in a heartbeat. Was just surprised to see him on the trade bait list. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah I'd do that in a heartbeat. Was just surprised to see him on the trade bait list. 

Ya, I don’t really follow Buffalo news very much at all... but I have to think his inclusion has to do more with them needing another revamp than him being a main problem.  

Mayne it is just because he has some trade value compared with his on ice performance based on his draft pedigree to get what they might need.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, mll said:

Fwiw:

“Our strength coach noticed right away that his shoulder was a little out of alignment,” coach Don Lucia said. “He got him fixed with manipulation, and [Mittelstadt] was able to do a half-dozen [pull ups] right after that.”

fwiw - pretty sure "18 yr old" Sam Bennett wasn't able to do a single pull up either (and no "fix" in that case)....  Seems to have gained a reasonable amount of strength/grit since.

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't know if being on that list makes a young player a 'bust'.

Jake Bean - 22 y old defenseman with 14 career NHL games is on there for some reason (perhaps an armchair over-reaction to a taxi squad assignment?).

The Canes have a pretty deep blueline - including left side - Slavvin, Skjei, Fleury (...Gardiner).....he looks to be on the rs presently....

Pesce and Hamilton (who's expiring)....perhaps they'd want to move a young LHD for RHD (wouldn't most teams).

8 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I don't know if being on that list makes a young player a 'bust'.

Jake Bean - 22 y old defenseman with 14 career NHL games is on there for some reason (perhaps an armchair over-reaction to a taxi squad assignment?).

The Canes have a pretty deep blueline - including left side - Slavvin, Skjei, Fleury (...Gardiner).....he looks to be on the rs presently....

Pesce and Hamilton (who's expiring)....perhaps they'd want to move a young LHD for RHD (wouldn't most teams).

it just seemed really odd to me that he'd be on that list, just posing the question, I haven't followed the kids career at all. 

I do wonder what might shake loose for trades this year, and someone like Bean would be a nice add but I don't know that he' an upgrade on what we have already with Rathbone, too soon to know.

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it just seemed really odd to me that he'd be on that list, just posing the question, I haven't followed the kids career at all. 

I do wonder what might shake loose for trades this year, and someone like Bean would be a nice add but I don't know that he' an upgrade on what we have already with Rathbone, too soon to know.

no fit/need for Bean imo....  Hughes and Juolevi on the left side - with ideally a veteran (returning Edler?).    a 2nd lh-pmd doesn't really register with team need.

As opposed to 'bust' however - nothing in his tiny NHL sample suggests that.

Nor does 48 pts in 59 AHL games last season - to lead his team - at age 21 - as a defenseman - suggest 'bust'.

If there's a reason he's on that list - I think it would be more the case of Carolina trading overlapping talent/perhaps using him to acquire a greater need?   I'm doubtful regardless - but that Gardiner deal on an already deep left side...looks that much worse with Slavvin there, Skjei and a pair of young guys like Fleury and Bean...

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

no fit/need for Bean imo....  Hughes and Juolevi on the left side - with ideally a veteran (returning Edler?).    a 2nd lh-pmd doesn't really register with team need.

As opposed to 'bust' however - nothing in his tiny NHL sample suggests that.

Nor does 48 pts in 59 AHL games last season - to lead his team - at age 21 - as a defenseman - suggest 'bust'.

If there's a reason he's on that list - I think it would be more the case of Carolina trading overlapping talent/perhaps using him to acquire a greater need?   I'm doubtful regardless - but that Gardiner deal on an already deep left side...looks that much worse with Slavvin there, Skjei and a pair of young guys like Fleury and Bean...

thanks that makes sense, I haven't been following any US teams this season so  this makes sense to me.

The trade I'd like to see (assuming we're truly out by April 12) is Sutter to EDM for their 2022 2nd rounder, and maybe the same from a US team for Pearson. Other than that, I don't think we have many more pieces to sell... maybe Benn to TO or MTL for depth? a 4th maybe? 

I don't know where Jim is going to find his 'top 9', part of me thinks thats for media consumption. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thanks that makes sense, I haven't been following any US teams this season so  this makes sense to me.

The trade I'd like to see (assuming we're truly out by April 12) is Sutter to EDM for their 2022 2nd rounder, and maybe the same from a US team for Pearson. Other than that, I don't think we have many more pieces to sell... maybe Benn to TO or MTL for depth? a 4th maybe? 

I don't know where Jim is going to find his 'top 9', part of me thinks thats for media consumption. 

The Canucks don't need a 'top 9' forward imo.... they may be looking to swap one for a better fit/need - ie a Virtanen or Gaudette for a LW (no need for succession RW, but with Pearson and Roussel as middle six LW - they could use that more than their RW  depth -  and ideally a natural center/or LW conversion... Which is why I have liked guys like Nick Paul as targets....Before he emerges/emerged, he'd be/would have been a very good take.   

At this point.....

44% ozone starts

53.4% corsi

3g, 7a, 10pts, +6

21 takeaways, 3 giveaways (+18)

54.7% faceoffs

29 hits, 12 blocks

.921 on ice sv%

2.9 on ice goals for per 60 (6th among Sens regulars)

2.1 on ice goals against (the best on that team)...

secondary penalty killer/generally hard to play against.

Would be a great fit imo...particularly as someone tracking as a capable two way center.

Might be too late, hard to acquire, not come at a particularly reasonable price....

Young top 9 forwards..

EP

Boeser

Hoglander

Horvat

Virtanen

Gaudette

Motte

MacEwen

Bailey 

Hawryluk

Podkolzin...

When you add Miller to that mix - who's here for term - it's really one a question of replacing Pearson - and possibly Sutter if they don't re-up him.

To cite this as if it's what the team is primarily shopping for - to me - is a whiff.

I think the team's principal need is clearly Hughes' partner.   They may be fine riding out Hamonic and Benn this year, but like Pearson and Sutter, they are expiring...

Aside from a promising Chatfield - and perhaps Tryamkin if he returns (and longer term Woo?) - they don't have as much in the prospect pool at RHD as they do in young forwards (nor anywhere near as deep on the existing roster).

Rumour doesn't make much sense except perhaps in the sense of a young forward for young forward swap.

Edited by oldnews

19 minutes ago, oldnews said:

The Canucks don't need a 'top 9' forward imo.... they may be looking to swap one for a better fit/need - ie a Virtanen or Gaudette for a LW (no need for succession RW, but with Pearson and Roussel as middle six LW - they could use that more than their RW  depth -  and ideally a natural center/or LW conversion... Which is why I have liked guys like Nick Paul as targets....Before he emerges/emerged, he'd be/would have been a very good take.   

At this point.....

44% ozone starts

53.4% corsi

3g, 7a, 10pts, +6

21 takeaways, 3 giveaways (+18)

54.7% faceoffs

29 hits, 12 blocks

.921 on ice sv%

2.9 on ice goals for per 60 (6th among Sens regulars)

2.1 on ice goals against (the best on that team)...

secondary penalty killer/generally hard to play against.

Would be a great fit imo...particularly as someone tracking as a capable two way center.

Might be too late, hard to acquire, not come at a particularly reasonable price....

Young top 9 forwards..

EP

Boeser

Hoglander

Horvat

Virtanen

Gaudette

Motte

MacEwen

Bailey 

Hawryluk

Podkolzin...

When you add Miller to that mix - who's here for term - it's really one a question of replacing Pearson - and possibly Sutter if they don't re-up him.

To cite this as if it's what the team is primarily shopping for - to me - is a whiff.

I think the team's principal need is clearly Hughes' partner.   They may be fine riding out Hamonic and Benn this year, but like Pearson and Sutter, they are expiring...

Aside from a promising Chatfield - and perhaps Tryamkin if he returns (and longer term Woo?) - they don't have as much in the prospect pool at RHD as they do in young forwards (nor anywhere near as deep on the existing roster).

Rumour doesn't make much sense except perhaps in the sense of a young forward for young forward swap.

its probably just got a lot harder to get Paul with Stepan out for the year now. I don't have a clue what Dorian's ask would be though. I would guess Gaudette and a pick but who knows. 

I'd like to see what Michaelis has to offer, out of curiosity not as a Sutter replacement but maybe on Sutter's line if we bring him back. 

I do think Tryamkin will get a chance to be with Hughes, and if the KHL highlights are any indication he's really matured as a player and likely now understands what kind of opportunity is waiting for him here. Getting him back at a seasoned 26 is ideal timing and shouldn't be an anchor contract even with some term to it. 

Looks like there might be a lot of movement, especially with so many teams doing worse than expectations and the upcoming ED. 

Tyler Bertuzzi and a load of Ducks forwards are the most unlikely names but sounds like they're not untouchable. Comtois, Heinen, Rakell all look like they're on the board, not to forget Milano and Lunderström.

Virtanen and Gaudette look like our obvious trade pieces but I'd hold off on moving Gaudette as he's starting to play better. Virtanen on the other hand has had chance after chance and hasn't made the most of it, a new scenery could really do him some good, ala Roslovic.

Ideally we'd go after Bertuzzi but it'd probably cost more than we have to offer. Probably Virtanen + 2nd + maybe even a prospect like Gadjovich.

I'd do Virtanen to the Ducks plus a 2nd rounder for just about any of Heinen, Comtois, Milano or even a flyer on theit young Swedish center Lunderstrom. 

On 3/2/2021 at 6:42 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

Does this description of his abilities sounds like "bust" to you?

An electric offensive presence on the ice, Casey Mittelstadt brings the complete package of speed, skill, and hockey sense. He competes hard with every shift, and has the dynamic puck skills to keep up with his creativity, which is a hallmark of his game. His awareness is all-encompassing, and he never puts his teammates in positions where their time and space will be bottlenecked. Bigger players don't phase him, as he thinks the game analytically and will find chinks in the opposition's armor on the fly. As a result, Mittelstadt is often seen forcing more complicated plays that the opposition won't be able to read in time. On top of all this, he can play a north-south game, and his transition game is already at an elite level. He's a complete player with the predatory instincts necessary to succeed as a consistent and, perhaps, dominant point producer at the next level. (Curtis Joe, EP 2016)

Canucks to figure it out from within

Brandon Batchelor: Vancouver Canucks GM Jim Benning on Sportsnet 650: “I don’t think there’s anything that we’re going to do, going to the outside to add a player. We just have to try and figure out how to get better from within. That’s the way Travis is attacking this whole thing.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Does this description of his abilities sounds like "bust" to you?

An electric offensive presence on the ice, Casey Mittelstadt brings the complete package of speed, skill, and hockey sense. He competes hard with every shift, and has the dynamic puck skills to keep up with his creativity, which is a hallmark of his game. His awareness is all-encompassing, and he never puts his teammates in positions where their time and space will be bottlenecked. Bigger players don't phase him, as he thinks the game analytically and will find chinks in the opposition's armor on the fly. As a result, Mittelstadt is often seen forcing more complicated plays that the opposition won't be able to read in time. On top of all this, he can play a north-south game, and his transition game is already at an elite level. He's a complete player with the predatory instincts necessary to succeed as a consistent and, perhaps, dominant point producer at the next level. (Curtis Joe, EP 2016)

Hmm, so what's the problem then? Are the Sabres not reading Mittelstadt's press clippings, or are they just looking at his game results?

regards,  G.